SCMS-PARENTS Archives

Swift Creek Middle School Parents

SCMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
"Koerner, Jason" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2022 19:42:55 +0000
Good afternoon, Wolves!

This week, we recognized our employees of the year.  Congratulations to Ms. Gainous (Glenn-Howell Distinguished Educator), Ms. Meyer (School Related Employee), and Ms. Warfel (Teacher of the Year).  We have an incredible faculty and staff at Swift Creek and these three are great representatives of the care and compassion we have for our students.   Our Volleyball and Cross Country teams wrapped up their seasons this week, and our boys soccer and girls basketball teams held tryouts.  I am proud to see how all of our athletes represent themselves, and our school, in these activities.  The Lincoln drumline stopped by Swift Creek Thursday for a quick performance.  They discussed high school band and color guard opportunities and invited students to participate in their Middle School Band Night at Cox Stadium.  Today was our staff v. students volleyball match and our students participated in Student Government elections.  I am appreciative of the Leon County Supervisor of Elections' Office for providing voting machines for our students to vote.  I am also thankful for all of the students that ran for student government offices.  We have so many amazing leaders on our campus!

Next week is the last week of the first nine weeks.  Our monthly PTO meeting is Monday night in the Media Center at 5:30.  We invite anyone who would like to participate in PTO this year to the meeting.  I have attached the new QR code for our football game Tuesday night.   Our Fine Arts Department is hosting a Dessert Theatre Thursday night.  We will have a Super Howl Out for students on Friday, 10/14 and there will be items available for purchase.  There is no school on Monday, 10/17, as it is a scheduled teacher planning day.  Our Winter testing schedule has been added to our school calendar, as well as PTO's Fall Family Movie Night on 10/28.  Please be sure to visit our website calendar to view all of our events and activities.

Mr. Zimmerman has organized a running club for our Swift Creek students.  Regardless of current skill level, this club provides students an opportunity to spend time outside, run, and improve their personal fitness.  Once a month, this club will organize a Wolf Walk at the Greenway.  Their first Wolf Walk will take place on Friday, October 21st.  Please have your student see Mr. Zimmerman for more information and requirements for participation.

Ms. Del Vecchio, our school-based Social Worker, is working with the Oasis Girls Group to create a Girls Circle Group.  This is a support group for girls that meets weekly to discuss self confidence and coping skills.  Please have your student see Ms. Del Vecchio in the office for more information and permission forms.

The Leon County Sheriff's Office and Deputy Dehner thank everyone for their support in their Patrol Stroll Fundraiser for breast cancer research.  Their drive ends tonight, and Deputy Dehner needs your support.  He is currently in second place, only a few donations away from being recognized in the LSCO Patrol Stroll finale.  You can donate by visiting the link https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fmain.acsevents.org%2fgoto%2fdehner&c=E,1,KKaxyHodjtfenkI5Ts1zNaSegNXurNuXRNxU0v_43AuOvGGMO-Fi_4AZaPdiuDAL6vXR9yEnibGTSMemcdpOKhVdBS74A3SVGiz46fQyPBVQeh-iqA,,&typo=1<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmain.acsevents.org%2Fgoto%2Fdehner&data=05%7C01%7C%7C5a1854f891a343e98aa008daa5754a79%7C69292adba72a4537aa24d67a6f5642bc%7C0%7C0%7C638004220480524663%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=vQWJKu6obZEms71JA%2BVtSReARpiAMHNupqlXalOocYc%3D&reserved=0> and the link closes tonight.  Thank you, again, for your support!

Florida State University is hosting Saturday Morning Physics to introduce students and community members to current topics in physical science, presented by scientists active in research. Please visit the attachment, or the link https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fphysics.fsu.edu%2fsaturday-morning-physics&c=E,1,YsLe1zb06QVDfG6iyRuQg0Ju7T8sE6m66StlV-q-41NpGGrRqAYNnwKneZxII2iTCqfoAy1JyUDZd-Xyg8-wWik0A_2IRx0YGN_LZMOSGrFWRT11-Q,,&typo=1 for more information about this free community program.

Have a great weekend!