Feb. 1, 2022    VOL. 5

View in browser

https://ixzucm.stripocdn.email/content/guids/CABINET_e2f7c84a3f52f67499df7de69f338db3/images/principal_no_date.png

PRINCIPAL'S MESSAGE

Hello Cardinal Families!
Happy February! The year is just flying by! Last week we celebrated the 100th day of school and literacy week. Before we know it, it will be spring break.

Please remind your Cardinals to bring their jackets each day as the temperatures fluctuate. The mornings start out pretty cool. Also, it’s a good idea to make sure their names are written inside. We have a lot of jackets that are missing their owners, and we can’t reunite them because there is no name written inside.

Just a quick reminder, there will be no school on Monday, February 21st, for President’s Day. That is the only school day in February that we are not in session.

A few reminders…
Dismissal is on a staggered schedule. K-2 is at 2:40, and 3-5 is at 2:50. We are getting faster and more efficient and are brainstorming ways to improve the process even more.

Please remember that we are a family and are here for you. Please see my Handle with Care notice below. My email address is [log in to unmask], and my cell number is (850)408-7761.

We are looking forward to a productive month and appreciate your help and support in getting our friends to school every day on time. Remember, our school day is from 8:30 AM to 2:50 PM. Car riders need to be picked up no later than 3:20 PM.

Through everything… we are #CardinalStrong
Love, Mrs. Mortham

https://ixzucm.stripocdn.email/content/guids/CABINET_e2f7c84a3f52f67499df7de69f338db3/images/handle_with_care.jpg

SPECIAL AREA

https://ixzucm.stripocdn.email/content/guids/CABINET_e2f7c84a3f52f67499df7de69f338db3/images/special_area_1.jpg

MUSIC
For the last few weeks in music, we have been focusing on the instruments of the orchestra. I love getting to hear what instruments the student’s parents play. If you ever want to come in and play for us, we would love to hear you!! We have also been studying how music is grouped. In music, we call that the time signature or meter signature. We have moved to figure out the time signature and even played instruments to different time signatures. It is a difficult concept, but they have done a great job understanding it.
PE
Cold weather is here. Due to the cold weather and rain, we have been going inside a bit more in the mornings these last few weeks. Remember to dress for the colder weather as we strive to stay outside when it is warm enough. February will be Heart Awareness Month, and we will be starting our Fitness Unit.
Always Encouraging Effort,
Coach McBArtIn
ART
art this month, we are learning all about color! We are discussing Primary vs. secondary, warm vs. cool, and emotions in color! The artist of the month is Paul Gauguin. We are learning about his wild use of color!
MEDIA
Media Center Happenings...We had such a BLAST celebrating literacy week with college athletes as guest readers, exhibiting our very own living wax museum, and hearing stories read by astronauts in space! We also ended our January school-wide event, “Disguise a Snowman” contest. Our students created some fantastic and clever disguises, and I can’t wait to share those with our school families.Our 3-5th graders are still working on reading the Sunshine State books to earn their dog tags and get their picture on the “WALL OF FAME” in the media center. We have some new faces up there, but plenty of room for more!
COMPUTER
During January and February, Kindergarten and first-grade classes will learn about basic computer fundamentals and will soon begin learning how to locate the letters and numbers on the keyboard. Second grade and third grade are learning about computer and hardware/software fundamentals. The second grade will next begin keyboarding practice, and the third grade will then move to a unit on word processing. Fourth and fifth-grade classes are embarking on a new adventure for Canopy Oaks! They have begun the process of becoming certified in ICT Fundamentals. This course focused on Digital Tools literacy and a basic overview of internet/computing functions and systems.

PTO NEWS

https://ixzucm.stripocdn.email/content/guids/CABINET_e2f7c84a3f52f67499df7de69f338db3/images/pto.png

We kicked off the new year with Blue Pops a chilly treat to match the chilly weather. This was our first fundraiser of the year and we made $500! Great job, Cardinals! If you missed it in January be on the lookout for Blue Pops in February.

We have a lot of upcoming events for our Cardinals to be aware of:

February 8th at 6:00 PM, PTO Meeting
February 10th at 6 PM, April Appreciation Planning meeting
February Blue Pops TBD
April 5th-April 13th Booster a Thon

PTO looks forward to partnering with Cardinal families to make these activities and fundraisers successful!

With Cardinal Kindness,
Jenny Buckley

E.D.E.P.

Hello EDEP Families!
We hope you all are staying warm. We have had some pretty chilly days in January, so we have had more indoor play. The older kids love indoor hockey. The younger kids have started working on jigsaw puzzles and are getting quite proficient.
We had our district summer camp meeting last week and have begun the planning process. At this point, we will have field trips, so we are pretty excited. Fingers crossed that nothing changes that! Registration will be sometime in April. We have to wait for board approval before registration can begin. We’ll keep you posted on details when they become available.
Reminders:
February 3rd - Cycle 7 payments are due
February 21st - CLOSED for President’s Day
March 3rd - Cycle 8 payments are due
March 14th – 18th - CLOSED for Spring Break
March 21st - CLOSED for Teacher Planning Day
March 22nd - Students return

Wishing everyone a great start to the New Year!
See ya’ on the loop!
Tracy Malone and the EDEP staff

Additional Updates

We are still trying to get all of our training taken care of to ensure that the rollout will go as smoothly as possible.

At this time, we are postponing the implementation.

Please continue to notify your child's teacher and the office if you have a transportation change.

https://ixzucm.stripocdn.email/content/guids/CABINET_e2f7c84a3f52f67499df7de69f338db3/images/please_standby.png

Mark Your Calendar

02/03 CYCLE 7 E.D.E.P. PAYMENTS DUE
02/21 PRESIDENTS DAY HOLIDAY (DISTRICTWIDE)
03/03  CYCLE 8 E.D.E.P. PAYMENTS DUE
03/14 - 03/18 SPRING BREAK
03/21  TEACHER PLANNING DAY (NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS)
03/22  STUDENTS RETURN TO SCHOOL

For the latest COE updates, subscribe to us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube

Fb

Tw

Yt

Canopy Oaks Elementary School

3250 Point View Drive

Tallahassee, FL  32303
P: 850-488-3301  F: 850-414-7356

Canopy Oaks Elementary Newsletter Oct. 5, Vol. 2

Canopy Oaks Elementary School
Home of the Cardinals
cid:579B0FE2-1412-4C3A-BB9E-558B000B3816
<
http://www.leonschools.net/canopyoaks
Please do not reply to this list. Please direct any responses to your child’s teacher.
To unsubscribe from the COESPARENTS List click here:
http://listserv12.leon.k12.fl.us/scripts/wa.exe?A0=COES-PARENTS