SCMS-PARENTS Archives

Swift Creek Middle School Parents

SCMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
"Koerner, Jason" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2022 18:08:24 +0000
Good afternoon, Wolves!

It is hard to believe that tomorrow is the first day of school for the 2022-2023 school year.  Our faculty and staff have been busy over the last 10 days preparing to welcome students.  We are lucky to have an amazing group of teachers, paras, support staff, and custodians and I am looking forward to a positive, successful school year.   Please see the helpful reminders for the first day/ week of school listed below.   I have attached a handout with reminders, for reference.

  *   Swift Creek experiences heavy traffic on and around our campus during arrival and dismissal times.  We ask that everyone plans accordingly, observes patience and understanding, and respects our arrival and dismissal timelines.
  *   Student supervision begins at 8:45 AM, unless a student is enrolled in before school care.  All gates will be closed until that time.  Please do not drop your student off prior to this time.  At 8:45, we will open our gates and begin assisting students into our campus.  We ask that parents remain in their cars and pull their car as far forward in the loop as possible. Bus riders and walkers will follow the same procedures in their designated areas.
  *   Students should arrive to school prior to 9:25.  Breakfast is available, but our Cafeteria will stop serving breakfast at 9:20 in order to allow students an opportunity to eat and arrive to their classroom before the tardy bell.  If a student arrives on campus after 9:30, they will need to go to the front office for a tardy pass to class.
  *   Students will report to their first period class by 9:30 tomorrow.  Staff will be available to help students find the correct location.  Full day schedules will be provided in first period.  In addition to class descriptions, teachers will also review the SCMS handbook with students tomorrow.  During the first three days of school, students will be introduced to social/ emotional learning strategies to support them throughout the school year.

  *   We will, once again, have three lunch periods, determined by a student's third period class.  The automatic federal waivers for free breakfast and lunch have expired and students at Swift Creek will no longer be automatically eligible for free meals.  Please see the attachment from Leon County's Nutrition Services Department for more information.
  *   6th period, our last class of the day, ends at 3:50.  At that time, students will be dismissed.  While we will have support for student dismissal, students are responsible to know and understand their method of transportation.  Unless a student is participating in our EDEP program or afterschool activities, student supervision ends at 4:15.  Please be respectful of our staff and their time by making the appropriate arrangements to have your student dropped off and picked up during times of student supervision.

We are excited to see all of our wonderful students tomorrow!  If there is anything we can do to help make this school year a success, please let us know!