SABALPALM-PARENTS Archives

Sabal Palm Elementary Parents

SABALPALM-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
"Robinson, Anicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2017 23:14:52 +0000

Subject: School Operations this Week

Good evening—

We can all breathe a collective sigh of relief as Leon County was spared from the worst of Hurricane Irma. Our team has spent tireless hours caring for evacuees from throughout our state and here locally. Last evening, 11 of our schools hosted 3,000 people in shelters. The administrators at those schools never hesitated to step up. Staff from throughout the school district volunteered their time and materials to ensure that things ran as smoothly as possible.

There are many issues that we are currently working on to ensure that our schools will reopen this week.

Tomorrow afternoon, in partnership with the Red Cross and Leon County, any remaining evacuees in the shelters will be transitioned from our campuses to a host shelter in one of three new area locations. Our administrators at those sites will immediately begin cleaning and preparing the facilities to welcome our students and staff back.

Currently, some of our schools do not have power. We are working with our partners at the City of Tallahassee and TalQuin to ensure that those schools are back online as quickly as possible.

Last week, our nutrition services department prepared to provide food for our students this week. We will have hot meals at as many locations as possible and we will have ready-to-eat meals if necessary.

Bus drivers will begin driving routes on Wednesday to ensure that the roads are ready to safely transport more than 12,000 bus riding students to and from school.

With this in mind, LCS has approved the following operations schedule for the remainder of the week:

Tuesday, September 12, 2017—ALL SCHOOLS AND DISTRICT OFFICES CLOSED. Only staff contacted by supervisors will be required to report in to work.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017—NORMAL WORKDAY FOR STAFF. All teachers, cafeteria workers, bus drivers and district staff should report to work. In those instances where someone is unable to make it in, they must contact their supervisor.

Thursday, September 14, 2017—ALL STUDENTS RETURN. We are working hard to get back to normalcy. We will be ready, prepared and excited to welcome all of our students back to school on Thursday. If students cannot make it back, absences will be excused. Please work with your school site to follow the standard procedures.

We want to thank you for your patience and support during this time. If you have any further questions please contact your school site administrator.

Sincerely,

Rocky Hanna