RICKARDS-PARENTS Archives

Rickards Parents

RICKARDS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
"Cooper, E. Melissa" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2024 18:49:31 +0000
text/plain (12 kB) , text/html (76 kB) , image001.jpg (76 kB) , image003.png (9 kB) , image018.jpg (11 kB) , image019.jpg (10 kB) , image010.png (284 kB) , image017.jpg (48 kB) , image047.png (184 kB) , image054.jpg (56 kB) , image026.png (209 kB) , image024.png (178 kB) , image028.jpg (37 kB) , image005.gif (30 kB) , image002.png (83 kB) , image008.jpg (23 kB) , image011.jpg (15 kB) , image013.jpg (14 kB) , image021.png (415 kB) , image023.png (66 kB) , image029.jpg (66 kB) , 2023-2024 Draft IB_AP Exam Schedule 121823.pdf (223 kB) , 2024 Spring Testing Schedule -UPDATED 02.26.2024.pdf (133 kB) , 2023-2024 Scholarship List 03-08-24.pdf (235 kB)

JAMES S. RICKARDS HIGH SCHOOL

WEEKLY LISTSERV - Spring Break - March 11-15, 2024

[cid:image002.jpg@01D8C8F9.1D76B380]

Mr. Douglas Cook

Principal

Dear Parents, Guardians, and Students,

This year is moving along quickly, and Spring is almost here! I am deeply thankful for the collective talent and energy of our faculty, staff, and students.  I am also thankful for the enduring and essential contributions of our parents and community. With Spring, comes testing season.  We continue to prepare our students to meet the demands placed upon them.  Rickards High School is unique in its breadth of interests and range of talents, and for its mirroring of the complex blend of culture, background, and experiences that are increasingly the hallmarks of both our local and global communities. As educators, we strive daily to continue to make Rickards High a tremendous place to work and learn.
Earning the right to call ourselves a great school will require continuous determination and commitment from our students, teachers, staff, parents, and community, to see that all students, regardless of who they are and how they come to us, leave us better prepared to meet the next set of life's challenges. Parents and Guardians, our commitment must also include the development of the curiosity, character, and conscientiousness that will prepare them not only for personal success, but for productive and compassionate citizenship as well. This is a charge we share as a school and a community.

[cid:image005.gif@01DA7159.103815B0]

Expect great things from the Raiders!

Sincerely,

Mr. Douglas Cook, Principal
[cid:image002.png@01D9CC65.507FB450]
Dr. Deborah G. Barnes

Assistant Principal of Curriculum
Parents and Guardians,

Course request forms for the 2024-2025 school year were distributed today.  Please review these forms with your student(s) over the  break.  After spring break, guidance counselors will work with their assigned students to select and submit their course request forms.  If you have any questions about the 2024-2025 Course Request Form, please contact Mrs. Terraca Jones, Guidance Department Head, at 850-414-5500.

We understand the challenges some of our students are experiencing in preparation for the upcoming standardized academic assessments.  As a result, to help our students to be better prepared,  we will continue to offer additional instructional resources and support outside of the regular school day to ensure the academic success of our students.  Students in 9th through 11th grade will be taking one or a variety of the following assessments: 9th Grade ELA Reading/Writing, 10th Grade ELA Reading/Writing, US History EOC, Biology EOC, Algebra 1 EOC, and Geometry EOC.  Rickards is now offering students an opportunity to attend or 21st CCLC Afterschool Program, Monday-Friday, 2:00-5:30 p.m. In addition, Rickards is also offering 13 different EOC/ELA camps to students who need assistance with test taking preparation and strategies, good study habits strategies and attendance intervention. Students are encouraged to attend our Saturday School from 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. If you have any questions about Saturday School, please e-mail Ms. Kerris Satchell at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

End of the Third Nine-Weeks
The end of the third nine-weeks is TODAY.  Students who have concerns or questions about their grades are encouraged to communicate with their teachers.  Report cards will be uploaded to FOCUS on Wednesday, March 27, 2024.

SAT and ACT Test Dates for 2023-2024

SAT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

May 4, 2024

April 19, 2024

June 1, 2024

May 16, 2024

ACT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

April 13, 2024

March 8, 2024

June 8, 2024

May 3, 2024

July 13, 2024

June 7, 2024

2023-2024 ACT/SAT Waivers
Juniors and Seniors should see their guidance counselor to obtain ACT and/or SAT fee waivers.  IB students should see Mrs. Williams in the IB office to obtain ACT and/or SAT fee waivers

***Highlighted tests are held at Rickards***

[cid:image007.jpg@01DA5F2C.77A431A0]

Deborah G. Barnes, Ph.D.

Greatness awaits!

Dr. J. Williams

IB Coordinator

International Baccalaureate Program

To All IB Parents and Guardians:

Here are the phone numbers and email addresses where you can reach our IB Administrative Team:

Dr. Joe Williams, IB Coordinator (850-414-5036) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Mrs. E. Melissa Cooper, AP Coordinator and Assistant IB Coordinator (850-414-5005) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Mrs. Victoria Williams, IB Academic Dean (850-414-5597) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

To all parents and family members of our IB and Pre-IB Students: Have a wonderful Spring Break!

IB Senior Celebration: All parents of 204 IB Seniors who are interested in serving on the planning committee for the 2024 IB Senior Celebration, please contact Dr. Williams by email at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.  Dr. Williams would like to schedule a preliminary planning meeting as soon after spring break as possible to discuss how we can honor this year's seniors and so the IB Senior Celebration Parent Notebook can be passed along to this year's committee.  Also, if you are a parent of an IB Junior, you are welcome to participate in this committee. Parents of IB Juniors have helped with senior celebrations in the past in order to plan more effectively their own student's senior celebration the following year.  Parents of older siblings who have helped plan previous IB Senior Celebrations are also welcome to attend and share their perspectives and ideas.  Please contact Dr. Williams as soon as possible so we can set up an initial planning meeting.

Current Draft of AP and IB Exam Chart Attached: Please see the attached most current draft of the combined AP and IB Exam Schedule.  Approved resolutions of IB Exam conflicts for individual students are highlighted on this chart.  If your IB student has a schedule conflict between any IB and AP Exams - or between any AP Exams and an EOC, FAST, or other mandatory statewide assessment - please notify both Mrs. Melissa Cooper and Dr. Williams by email as soon as possible so we can schedule your student for a Late AP Exam.  Late AP Exams are only offered with permission from Mrs. Melissa Cooper, our AP Coordinator.

2023 IB Diplomas and Transcripts are in: The 2023 IB Diplomas and IB Transcripts have arrived from Cardiff, Wales, UK.  2023 IB graduates or their parents can pick them up from Dr. Williams in the front office at Rickards.  Please email or call ahead so Dr. Williams can leave your IB Diploma and/or IB Transcript at the front office for you, in case he is not available when you come to campus.

Johnitta Wells
SAC Chair
[cid:image002.png@01DA715F.6E9018A0]

Mr. Perry West
Health Science Coordinator
Millicent Hollifield Health Academy Students are working on their clinicals!

[cid:image008.jpg@01DA715F.6E9018A0][cid:image011.jpg@01DA715F.6E9018A0][cid:image013.jpg@01DA715F.6E9018A0]

[cid:image010.png@01DA5B4A.6C0D4F10]

Ms. J. Goodman

Testing Coordinator
Testing
Announcements

Please review the attached Spring Testing Schedule.

Let's Get Ready for the School Day SAT!

Who takes this test?  All 12th graders who have not met graduation requirements.  All 11th grade students. This test is free of charge.

The SAT will be given on school issued Chromebooks this year!

An SAT Preview and a full-length practice test are available in the Collegeboard's new testing application, Bluebook. In order to access it, students will need their School Chromebook and a Collegeboard account.  Seniors (needing to meet their graduation requirement) will test on Wednesday, March 20th and Juniors will test on Wednesday, April 10th.

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Mrs. V. Williams

IB Academic Dean
Please see the attached list of scholarships.

[cid:image047.png@01DA6BEC.A7CB1890]
[cid:image021.png@01DA715F.6E9018A0]

[cid:image023.png@01DA715F.6E9018A0]

Ms. K. Satchell

Title 1 Compliance
Title I: Vision Program
Through collaboration with Children's Home Society of Florida and Heiken Children's Vision Program, Title I schools are being extended the opportunity to provide free vision screening and glasses for students.
All applications must be submitted by April 1, 2024.  Parents may register using the QR Code or this website.<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.miamilighthouse.org%2fFloridaHeikenProgram.asp&c=E,1,kFb_65w1zDgFS07bK6iV3fOCDW0UyYqiqclk05aVNrsqzFBiG1OLhIfMttwGPpDr93TGOqjOad788dulQUqtnLMS01B8VjpQAV2FHBuYkI71sVQ,&typo=1>

[cid:image026.png@01DA713D.4F7A2680]

[cid:image024.png@01DA713D.98AB5540]

Title I Financial Literacy Workshop

[cid:image028.jpg@01DA713E.C51D8C50]

Coach Hankerson

Athletic Director

Raiders Athletics

Raiders Athletics-Week of March 11th

Remaining events for this weekend

Friday, March 8, 2024

Lady Raiders Flag Football, TBD, Capital City Classic

Raiders Track & Field @ Godby, 3:00pm

Raiders JV Baseball @ Wakulla Christian, 5:00pm Varsity

Saturday, March 9, 2024

Lady Raiders Flag Football, TBD, Capital City Classic

Monday, March 11, 2024

Raiders Baseball @ Lincoln, JV 4:30pm / Varsity 7:00pm

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Raiders Baseball @ Arnold, 5:00pm VARSITY ONLY

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

NO EVENTS

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Lady Raiders Softball @ Hamilton County, 6:00pm Varsity

Friday, March 15, 2024

Lady Raiders Softball @ Raines, 6:00pmVarsity

Saturday, March 16, 2024

Raiders Track & Field @ Bob Hayes Invitational, Jacksonville

***If you would like to donate to Raiders Athletics, please contact Earl Hankerson, Athletic Director at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Encourage your students to be the best part of Raiders Athletics.

ONE NATION...RAIDER NATION!!!

[cid:image054.jpg@01DA6BEC.A7CB1890]

IMPORTANT DATES

End of the Third Nine Weeks

Friday, March 8, 2024

SPRING BREAK

March 11-15, 2024

Teacher Planning Day

Monday, March 18, 2024

Report Cards

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

***AVID/IB Monthly FOCUS - Strategies for Academic Growth***
AVID Strategy - READING -  Students will make connections between texts, self and the world.  Students will navigate and comprehend rigorous texts.  Students will evaluate information from a variety of formats.   Students will organize and apply text-based learning.
IB LEARNER PROFILE FOCUS - PRINCIPLED - Students act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness and justice, and with respect for the dignity and rights of people everywhere.  Students take responsibility for our actions and their consequences.

[cid:image003.jpg@01D9C6E9.06DEE1D0]
https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fgetfortifyfl.com%2f&c=E,1,tCllTtKOzvAz9DMY3Us9AefWHEKbef6LMBD9iE2aW2Dcci9WpUjv4DCdpJ-vEOEM1w-X2d0-2xns5uXc7sGhGIlX8iuL55nlbrAw2kaF1bvql3W_tVucNg,,&typo=1<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fgetfortifyfl.com%2f&c=E,1,KSijpDm-vbPx4ozd2CWLeN9auC01S9_7lr2CodBs3Yxdc4Q04J4SCTrnU8LxoFiih4V-88HJ3kyE2rdNyUs14gH5Y1gvhwmGDqk764B7e6rd6Vrn&typo=1&ancr_add=1>

[cid:image029.jpg@01DA715F.6E9018A0]<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2ftips.anonymousalerts.com%2fleoncountyschools%2f&c=E,1,soWqt4YzbbqJdrzCMOvyZdW90pmAFcXO5CR_rqbC-3b6NBQeEf0h_l0G619Jl-wiZJKPh0_Bjt66EA3xak9h5hD6CF6tfvTcPpXxYO-p3w,,&typo=1>