HRES-PARENTS Archives

Hawks Rise Elementary School

HRES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
"Jackson, Beth" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2021 20:06:04 +0000
text/plain (7 kB) , text/html (27 kB) , image001.jpg (21 kB) , image003.jpg (483 kB) , image005.jpg (449 kB) , image007.jpg (449 kB) , image008.jpg (9 kB) , image009.jpg (5 kB) , image010.jpg (8 kB) , BW Flyer Transportation.pdf (314 kB)
Happy Wednesday Parents and Guardians,

[Back to School Central | Gardner Edgerton School District 231]Following the school board meeting last night, I wanted to provide an update regarding procedures and practices for the upcoming year.  Superintendent Hanna and the Leon County School Board have carefully reviewed plans for school openings and established guidelines for all schools.  District and school personnel will continue to monitor COVID’s impact on our community and make adjustments to our practices.  Thank you for your continued patience and understanding as we work to provide a safe learning environment for all students.

We are excited that our teachers will be returning to campus on Monday, August 2nd to begin preparations for the upcoming school year.  They will be organizing their classrooms, reviewing curriculum, and establishing classroom procedures that will keep your student healthy and safe while continuing to develop them academically, socially, and emotionally.

And…it is only 14 days until students are back on this campus.  14 days until school starts!!!  I am thrilled to get our hawks back on campus and learning.  I know teachers are also excited for the first day for students on Wednesday, August 11th and are ready to meet their students during our face to face orientations.

I have included important information regarding the start of the school year below.

  *   All students enrolled at Hawks Rise will be on campus, daily, for face to face instruction.

  *   You may be aware that a homeroom teacher has been assigned to your child in FOCUS.  Please note that the teacher assignments are in draft form and will not be finalized until next Tuesday, August 3.

  *   Hawks Rise will be hosting a face-to-face orientation on campus on August 6 for all registered students.  Orientation will require signing up for a specific time.  Your teacher will reach out to you to schedule a time.

     *   If your child receives medication at school, you are welcome to bring the medication and the General Medical Plan (which can be found on the Leon County Schools site under the Parents and Students tab labeled School Health forms) to Orientation.

  *   Masks are optional for all students and staff both at school and on buses. Masks are encouraged for anyone who is not fully vaccinated.  Parents will be able to communicate mask preferences for their student directly with their teacher.  Parents requesting their student to wear a mask should provide their own masks for their child, and an extra mask in the back pack.  The teacher will work to help students honor their parent’s masking request.

  *   [Columbus City Schools adopts its first school bus replacement plan] We expect bus routes to remain similar to previous years.  Once they are published, we will provide updates.  Buses will be cleaned and sanitized daily and masks will be available upon request.

     *   Speaking of buses, I have attached an informational flyer.  School bus drivers are needed if you or anyone you know are interested.

  *   No visitors will be allowed on elementary school campuses during the first nine weeks, with orientation being the one exception.

     *   Parents will not be able to walk their student to class, eat lunch on campus with students, or volunteer in the classroom for the first nine weeks.   We will have additional staff available to direct students to their proper locations throughout the day.

  *   Students will not receive a temperature check or pediatric assessment upon arriving at school.  Teachers will monitor student health and communicate any symptomatic behaviors with parents or our clinic for appropriate actions.

     *   Students must be fever free (Below 100 degrees) for at least 48 hours before returning to school.

  *   Breakfast and lunch will be served in our cafeteria, daily.  These meals are FREE for all students.  The cafeteria will resume hot lunch options this school year.

  *   Every student will be assigned a Chromebook.  Elementary students will not take their Chromebook home, but Chromebook agreements will be required.

  *   If a student in a classroom tests positive for COVID, the classroom will be deep cleaned and families in the classroom will be notified via FOCUS and administration.  Quarantine procedures, established by the Department of Health and the LCS district, will be communicated to any families that require quarantining.

     *   Students required to quarantine will receive work from their teacher, as established by the grade level, following the absence policy established by Leon County Schools.  Make-up work will be individualized, based on the student’s situation, and may include digital content, hard copy work, or discussions about make-up work when the student returns to campus.

     *   If a student develops symptoms of COVID- fever, runny nose, sore throat, difficulty breathing, stomach distress, etc., please keep the student home and contact your physician. If the physician recommends any testing, please keep your child home until the results are received and notify your teacher as soon as possible.  If anyone in your household develops symptoms of COVID, please your physician.

     *   Please contact the school immediately if anyone in your household tests, or tests positive, for COVID.

  *   We still have openings in for 1st – 5th grade students in our After School program.  Check out https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.leonschools.net%2fdomain%2f989&c=E,1,cJI1ooZAXHzkNTu_U2f8IOF7QclZwN1n9BpF3CSG3NqLKhMo-dgaOqWRC6inglzn_MtNHi26y6lV5cNrVEM0zNqXzQpsUBV0HSkcPftABjScjyzzKb7ef2o3rUiWAA,,&typo=1 for more information.

[Why You Should Always Mail Yourself a Postcard When Traveling | Travel +  Leisure]For more information regarding the start of the school year and specific practices regarding COVID, please visit https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.leonschools.net%2finclass&c=E,1,SfMOyoxNkrYfcf6gSmaRN1Q32uzYIaF9U3rzX5Qw2AnfqdhrPH0LttxoBJ9Mib4J9VVwjhwVpvqUijImdlC8rChxRzEqb7uPhtJp6LKgc2R2zA,,&typo=1<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flinkprotect.cudasvc.com%2Furl%3Fa%3Dhttps%253a%252f%252fwww.leonschools.net%252finclass%26c%3DE%2C1%2CBp173VnjSERCPFvJqszKDHAX8c8m2cnqH8m5q-RNyymYkBlIqrVDHdjJ7sfuF2arVw4u3VJy28uImDT51lqA2ep1eQOrJMo8NZErc3ypt6n9aLYfMwERYnTPX5rz%26typo%3D1&data=04%7C01%7C%7C58900d1953384407638208d951cf7f0b%7C69292adba72a4537aa24d67a6f5642bc%7C0%7C0%7C637630773919557284%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=YImKlg476n1%2BVL1n6rr9m8KyWjdECVWPHkdLYmDMWT0%3D&reserved=0>.   Thank you , in advance, for your patience and understanding as our practices continue to change as we adapt to the current environment.  We will continue to provide updates as August 11th, the first day for students, approaches.

If you have not already, please participate in this year’s postcard challenge.  Historically, students have sent postcards to Hawks Rise each summer describing their summer travels.  These postcards were presented on the morning news.  This year, please send a postcard describing a great book you read this summer.  They will be presented on the news in August.  Your child is welcome to use the attached template, or create their own.  I can’t wait to read your child’s postcards and find out what book they have enjoyed.

We are so happy that you share your child with us.  Thank you.

I hope you have a great last few days of summer!

[Beth Jackson, principal]