From:
"Lewis, Barbara" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:25:56 -0400
Interim Reports went home last Wednesday.  Most students are in great academic shape and are earning quality points needed for success and promotion.  The following are steps you can take to help your student improve or to keep them on the success track:
*       Check your student's agenda book each night for homework assignments and class projects;
*       Access schoolnotes.com or teacher Sharepoint websites (through Griffin's homepage www.griffin.leon.k12.fl.us) for assignments;
*       Log on to the Parent Portal to access your child's assignments, grades, and other classroom information;
*       Schedule a conference with your child's teachers through the Guidance department, 488-4200.
There is no excuse for students not to earn promotional requirements at Griffin Middle School!

Progress continues as we move forward towards our goal of becoming a state of the art magnet for technology.  We are proud of our veteran Pre-AP program and the Quantum program which is new to us this year.  Parent involvement continues to increase. Watch for workshops and activities specifically for our parents in the near future.  Business Partners, Volunteers and Mentors attended our first breakfast to get these programs underway in a big way this past Thursday.  If you are interested in being a part of any of these programs, call Ms. King or Ms Griffin at 488-4200.

Also, we welcome Ms. Mechelle DeCraene, ESE teacher, to Griffin.  She started this week and already claims the Tigers as her family.  Speaking of Tigers, come out and support our athletic Tigers as Griffin participates in Girls Volleyball, Boys Tackle Football and Cross Country for all students.  We have had some exciting competitive games and enjoy the Lady Tiger Cheerleaders' spirit as well as the Tiger Drum Line at the football games.  Thanks to parents who support our students academically as well as extracurricular sporting events!

21st Century Before and After School Programs
 <<21st CCLC Program.doc>> We are pleased to be able to offer our students the opportunity to attend free Before and After School programs.  These programs provide a safe place for your child outside of the school hours.  Attached is the application for parents to complete and return to the school.  Please be sure to indicate the program:  Before School 7:45-8:45 a.m., After School 4:00-6:00, or both.  Parents must provide transportation and students are to be picked up at 5:45 p.m.  Students will participate in both educational and enrichment activities to improve study skills, learn test taking strategies and also be able to complete homework assignments.  Teachers will be available to assist.  To achieve the goal of providing quality academic and enrichment programs for children in an environment of pride, respect, and teamwork, positive discipline practices are utilized by all team members.  These programs are funded through the Title 1, 21st Century Program.

Parent Involvement Corner - Mrs. Sheria Griffin, Parent Liaison
Our goal at Griffin this year is to make sure all parents have a voice in their child's education. We would like you to be aware of all the opportunities for parents to become more involved in school activities and decision making.   Your voice is vital because we need a parental prospective to make sound decisions for our students.
Below is a list of how to use your parental voice at Griffin Middle School:
*       PTO/SAC meeting - the 1st Tuesday of each month, PTO @5:00 pm, SAC @6:00 pm
*       Volunteer- you may volunteer any time the school is open as well as special activities.
*       Sign up for ListServe- this keeps you informed of ongoing events.
*       Visit Parent Portal- check on your child's achievements as well as an important parent/teacher communication tool.
*       Parent Workshops- equip you with better knowledge to further aid your child in achieving their academic goals.
If you have any questions/concerns, please contact Ms. Griffin-Parent Liaison @ 488-8436 or visit The  Parent Resource Center, 9am- 2:30pm, located in building 1 room 32.  Thank you and remember together we can achieve more!  We need your help and involvement.

Box Tops for Education
We all shop for groceries, sometimes two or three times a week -- or more. Now turn those shopping trip into easy cash for your school, and encourage friends to do the same! Just look for the Box Tops logo on hundreds of products like Cheerios®, Hamburger Helper® and Kleenex®, in almost every aisle of the store. All you need to do is clip and send them to your school's Box Tops coordinator -- each one is worth 10¢ for your school.  Go to www.boxtops4education.com and sign up for the free Box Tops email newsletter as well as get recipes and dollar-off coupons.  While you are there, sign up for the 1,000,000 bonus Box Tops give-away.  This is an easy way for Griffin to earn money.  Griffin receives cash for the Box Tops and they add up fast!

Important Calendar Dates:

*       September 26            Cheerleaders Community Service Project at Homeless Shelter
*       September 28            Successful Young Men and Women meet with Ms Bush at 4:00 p.m.
*       September 28            Girls Volleyball Griffin vs Monford, 6:30 p.m. @ Griffin
*       September 29            Student Picture Day - All students will be photographed.  Students may select pose and background for picture.  Picture proofs will be returned to parents with purchase information in a few weeks.
*       September 29            SGA meets with Ms Bush at 8:30 a.m.
*       September 29            Boys Football Fairview vs Griffin at Cox Stadium, 7:30 p.m.
*       September 30            Writes Upon Request, 9:30-10:40 a.m.
*       September 30            Girls Volleyball Griffin vs Raa, 6:30 p.m. @ Raa
*       September 30            Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Fundraiser, Thomasville Road, 6-9:00 p.m.
 <<FundRaiserFlyer.doc>>
*       October 1               Cross Country, Everhart Invitational at Gretchen Everhart School, Girls 10:45 a.m., Boys 11:15 a.m.
*       October 2               Spanish Club, 1st meeting, 4-5:00 p.m., Ms Kampert sponsor, Students must have own transportation home.
*       October 2                       Registration and Payment for PSAT (8th grade students)
*       October 4-10                    Fire Prevention Week - fire and life safety educators across the country will bring important safety
                                                  messages to their communities, showing them simple ways they can "Stay Fire Smart! Don't Get Burned."
*       October 6                       SAC Meeting @ 6:00 p.m.,
                                        PTO Meeting @ 7:00 p.m. - The guest speaker for the October 6 PTO meeting is Rhonda Cooper with Literacy Volunteers of Leon County. They offer one-to-one tutoring in reading, writing and spelling skills for adults. Also, tutoring and homework help for children, adult classes for GED and computer skills.
*       October 14                      PSAT administered to 8th graders who have registered and paid $13.00 fee
*       October 22              End of 1st 9 weeks
*       October 23              Teacher Planning Day - No School