From:
"Dorsey, Karen" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2014 20:00:38 +0000
text/plain (24 kB) , text/html (134 kB) , image006.gif (134 kB) , image007.jpg (134 kB) , image010.png (134 kB) , image011.png (134 kB) , image012.png (134 kB) , image020.png (51 kB) , image025.gif (51 kB) , image028.jpg (51 kB) , image029.jpg (4 kB) , image034.jpg (4 kB) , image036.jpg (4 kB) , image037.jpg (4 kB) , image038.png (8 kB) , image041.png (8 kB) , image042.png (8 kB) , image043.png (817 kB) , image044.png (473 kB) , image001.jpg (7 kB) , image009.jpg (10 kB) , image004.jpg (27 kB) , image015.wmz (27 kB) , image022.wmz (19 kB) , image002.jpg (6 kB) , image005.jpg (5 kB) , image008.jpg (5 kB) , image016.png (5 kB) , image017.jpg (5 kB) , image021.png (9 kB)

[http://www.andersonsallstars.com/uploads/1/2/4/9/12496013/1219388.jpg]<http://www.andersonsallstars.com/>Today marks the end of the first 9 week grading period. All week students have been PUSHed to maintain or increase their class averages so that they can attend our upcoming EXCEL-ABRATION!
Monday, October 20th, is Teacher Planning Day and there will be NO SCHOOL for students.
Report cards will go home on Wednesday, October 29, 2014.

EXCEL-ABRATION!!!
[https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3yN6Go_R2NZCEPPxarLY19jLkYG0lncF8JDjaI78Ioy_eMcnb]<http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=B6Jl53OrISAxzM&tbnid=3kiDgxRjqzLjmM:&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.estrellamountain.edu%2Fanniversary&ei=_rMlVIegFMnxgwSi64DQCg&bvm=bv.76247554,d.eXY&psig=AFQjCNH3Q4eGfrgzBVB4Gz3l_HKuqpr0MQ&ust=1411843438433281>We are excited to announce that a vast majority of our students are passing their core academic classes with a 70% or higher. These students are rewarded with an EXCEL-ABRATION social event twice  during each grading period! The next EXCEL-ABRATION will be held Friday, October 31. At the end of the day, 50 minutes will be given to students to participate in one of three options:

*         Movie Time

*         Social Time (Special Guest - Palmer Monroe Teen Center DJ in the Amphitheater!

*         Computers and Board Games
Criteria for Being Invited: All passing grades of "C" or higher in all classes. Student grades will be checked on Tuesday, October 21. This is the report of grades that will determine a student's eligibility for invitation.

Popcorn and juice will be provided for their enjoyment while teachers, staff, and faculty all worked together to make this an enjoyable event! We are always looking for parent and community volunteers to donate both time and items for events like this! Please contact either Mrs. Jefferson or Mrs. Montgomery to sign up. Remember: The next EXCEL-ABRATION will be held on Friday, October 31, 2014.

[roller-skates]On Friday, October 31, 2014, 6th grade students will be attending their annual field trip to Skate Inn. Students who have not received discipline referrals after October 13th are invited to attend. Please submit signed permission forms and the $15 fee to Mr. Mays. If you have any questions or concerns please contact Mr. Mays, 6th grade Team Leader @ 617-5353 or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

[Breast-Cancer]October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is an annual campaign to increase awareness of the disease. While most people are aware of breast cancer, many forget to take the steps to have a plan to detect the disease in its early stages and encourage others to do the same. We have made a lot of progress but still have a long way to go.

[Palmer Munroe Teen Center Logo]
Palmer Monroe Teen Center Presents, Tallahassee  Next Star Talent Show. The Talent Show will be held on October 20, 2014 from 5-8 pm. Auditions will be held on October 8th and 10th at Palmer Monroe from 5-8 pm.
 Teens ages 12-18 are welcome to attend!

Palmer Monroe will also be hosting BE OUT DAY on Monday, October 20th from 8-5 pm.  The will be workshops, games, music, a talent show, and free food!
For more information stop by 1900 Jackson Bluff Road or call 891-2569.  Check with the front office staff to find out more information about Griffin students taking the school bus to the Teen Center after school daily.  This is an available resource for afterschool tutoring, teen events, and supervised activities.  The Teen Center is open daily until 8:00 pm.

[https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyWMqxY09z-DX0xy2r4xVbC2FVrjnp6zvJYUlHkqP8jQsL8RDw]The end of the first nine weeks is quickly approaching. If your child is in need of additional assistance to reach his/her full potential, we encourage you to contact Ms. Harris in Guidance to schedule a parent teacher conference.  The first nine weeks end in two (2) weeks - October 17 and we are encouraging all students to commit to their academic personal best . Our goal is for 100% of our students to make all passing grades. Report Cards will be distributed on October 29th.

[cid:image013.png@01CFDA43.E71BDA60]

*         Is your child struggling in one or more classes? Would your child benefit from having a tutor in math, science, social studies or language arts?

*         Does your child need an opportunity to make up a missed test or assignment.

*         Do you want your child to receive extra help to bring up their academic progress and earn honor roll?

WELL, we have the answer for you. Griffin operates the [cid:image014.png@01CFDA43.E71BDA60]  Center ever morning from 9:00 - 9:20. Students simply go into the [cid:image015.png@01CFDA43.E71BDA60]  Center (located in the Media Center) and request the needed assistance. Teachers are available and waiting.  Please contact Mrs. Whitfield, Mrs. Carter, Mrs. Moore, or Ms. Casto for more information. You may also contact the front office at 617-5353.
[Coming Soon]

Griffin's weekly e-letter will begin featuring a department per week to share curriculum news! This promises to be interesting to update you on all of the wonderful academic projects and class activities we are providing for our students.

[http://static.wixstatic.com/media/4816f1_d2de47b231d8e8069fa65f4926065be9.jpg_srz_255_165_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz]

100 Black Men of Tallahassee provides a Mentoring Program that meets, from 10:00am - 12:00pm in the Media Center at Griffin Middle School. It's not too late to become a part of this great program! if you would like to benefit from the 100 Black Men program, stop by any of the upcoming sessions:

October 25th
November 8th (FAMU Youth Day)
November 15th
December 6th
December 20th

  YMCA [YMCA-SVG-Common International.svg] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:YMCA-SVG-Common_International.svg>

Parkway Family YMCA is currently accepting registration for their Co-Ed Youth Flag Football and Cheerleading Teams. They accept ages 5-11 to play in their leagues. This is a great opportunity for your child to meet new friends and stay fit!

The YMCA will be hosting day camps for the fall break on October 3rd and Teaching Planning Day on October 20th. Children ages 5-12 are welcome to attend. The daily rate is $35 for non-members and $25 for members. Stop by the front office and pick up your registration packet today!

Million Book Challenge

This year, Superintendent Pons has given us the charge of reading 1 million books, district-wide, by the end of the 2014-2015 school year.  His goal is [image004.png@01CFD3F5] to get students to love and enjoy reading so that they will be lifelong readers.  In a recent interview he stated, "The goal isn't to make them read. The goal is to teach them to enjoy reading." Griffin supports the Superintendent's efforts. We want to surpass last year's numbers, 365 from Destiny Circulation and 255 Summer Reading, and we need your help! Please encourage your child to read for at least 30 minutes each day and visit the Media Center to take an AR quiz on what they've read. We will do a monthly tally and as we move closer to meeting our goal, we will keep you up-to-date on how we are progressing. We are so excited about this initiative, Go Tigers!

Agenda Books Have a Specific Purpose to Help with a Student's Success!
[Books]Remind your child! The purpose of the Agenda Book:

*         To use for Hall Passes

*         To record homework assignments

*         to keep track of important due dates

*         To serve as a teacher-parent checkpoint

*         To serve as a reference for school rules

Parent Expectations for Using the Agenda Book:

*         Ask your child for the book and review the entries

*         If there are no entries, inform your child that you expect the entries

*         Check the Agenda Book daily to see if your child is recording homework and important dates

*         Use the Agenda Book for positive conversations about the child's responsibility

*         Model the use of the adult personal planner so your child learns a valuable life skill

*         Send a note to your child's teacher regarding a question you may have

*         Check the pass page to see how many times your child is requesting to leave class throughout the school day
This school purchased tool is provided for the academic success of our students.  With parents and teachers using this tool, we will make sure all students are learning and growing.

JOIN OUR SWAT CLUB!

[4_1326979462.4.1.0_swat]SWAT is Florida's statewide youth organization working to mobilize, educate and equip Florida youth to revolt against and de-glamorize Big Tobacco. They are a united movement of empowered youth working towards a tobacco free future. If you would like to join the GMS SWAT Club, stop by Ms. Hurd's room from 8:45-9:15a.m, meetings are held daily. Help us make our community tobacco-free!

Support Our Tigers Athletes!

[102612-spt-BCC.TWOOD]Each week our student athletes compete against schools throughout the district. We take great pride in being there to cheer them on! We invite our parents to come out and support our students!  Currently, our athletes are participating in Girls' Volleyball, Football, and Cross Country. Check the weekly calendar at the end of this list serve for dates of  athletic events.

Magnet Program Information

[Join Us PTO Meeting]Magnet Meetings will be held on the 1st Friday of each month. If you are a member of the magnet program, please plan to attend these meetings. We will discuss upcoming events and ways to become more involved in the community. We are asking that all of our magnet students purchase a magnet t-shirt for Magnet Mondays! Our goal is to attract more students to become a part of our programs and help us become a driving force within Griffin and the community.

Our first service-learning project will be We Care Kits. We will be collecting toiletry items (toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, deodorant, lotion, combs, brushes, etc.) for the Homeless Shelter. We are asking all magnet students to donate five items, and we are soliciting participation from the faculty, staff, and the community. We began collecting items on Monday, September 8, 2014 and will deliver them on November 3, 2014. Let's join together to support the Magnet Program as they serve our community members in need.

We are excited to announce that our partnership with Riley Elementary has continued. We have been reading buddies with Mrs. Carter-Hall's  [https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZN6h1HEf25eQikLILf2gxfVTAQNCDGdH4umGL3_2UN4pZvdZCGQ] <http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=_2d4CNGodg8hyM&tbnid=ulozTrkeuuiL4M:&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http://books-for-kids.org/Key-Elements.html&ei=h2QcVPqiBMLFggSc9ICYDw&bvm=bv.75774317,d.eXY&psig=AFQjCNHk3Hi6Sve9H0nCHPaj9hUIVvUjwA&ust=1411233256915409> kindergarten class for the past 3 years and it is something that all of the students enjoy! Our first trip will be Thursday, October 16, 2014. All participants must purchase a magnet t-shirt, the cost is $12. The first 20 students with a signed permission form and t-shirt fee submitted will be allowed to participate. All magnet students are invited to attend the monthly meetings. Meetings will be the first Friday of each month, from 9:00-9:20am in the Media Center. If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Mrs. Montgomery @ [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

For the 5th year, our IT/AP Magnet Programs will be collecting toiletry items for the Homeless Shelter! We are asking that each student bring [http://www.tyrellmara.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/GivingBackjpgTxt1.jpg] in at least 1 item and our faculty, staff, and magnet students to bring in 5. We would like to spread a little sunshine into the lives of those that are less fortunate. Items such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, lotion, deodorant, chap stick etc. are things that we use on daily basis and some others are lacking. Please help us to continue to make some else's day a little brighter! Items will be collected from now, until October 30, 2014.

For more information, please contact Mrs. Montgomery @ [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

PTO Meeting

[https://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs134/1104907686741/img/314.gif]
Our next monthly PTO meeting will be Nov. 3, 2014 @ 5:30 pm. and SAC @ 6:00 pm. in the Media Center. We look forward to building relationships with each of our families by finding ways to meet the needs of our students. If you are looking for more ways to become active in your child's education, look no further! It's never too little or too late to get started!

                         2014-2015 PTO Board

Aysha Edwards- President
Beunita Lee- Vice President
Vaughn Wilson- Secretary
Thais Wilson- Treasurer

[Noteworthy News to Repeat]

[Logo]<http://parentportal.leonschools.net/>

 Parent Portal Access
The Parent Portal is now available! This great resource makes student grades and attendance accessible to you 24/7. While we encourage our students to view their grade progress on a regular basis, the Parent Portal is a parent resource for supporting their child's education.  Parent Portal letters that include student's username and passwords, have already been sent home. If you are in need of log in information, please ask your child to stop by the main office and we will be happy to assist them in retrieving this information.

If you are a new Leon County Schools parent and you are not familiar with Parent Portal, then please visit the Parent/Student User Guide link below:
Parent and Student User guides: http://parentportal.leonschools.net/PinpointPortal.html

Dress Code Policy and  Implementation
Students are reminded that our dress code policy remains the same.  Students  are not permitted to wear house shoes, jeans with holes or rips above the knee (even if you have tights on underneath), see through shirts, camisoles or thin strapped tank tops cannot be worn as a shirt, anything worn underneath a vest or unzipped jacket must be within dress code (including camisoles), shorts, skirts, and dresses must be fingertip length, tank tops must not show cleavage and be 3 fingers in width.  Tights or leggings cannot be worn as pants, jeggings can be worn with pockets on the back.  Young men must have their jeans, pants or shirts on their waist at all times.  Hats are not permitted, and hoods from hoodies cannot be worn on your head.  Failure to adhere to the dress code will result in discipline as noted below and in the school discipline plan.  Please see Mrs. Montgomery if you have questions or concerns.

Students are reminded daily of the Dress Code. Students that are sent to the office, seen during transition, or warned by the classroom teacher will be issued a warning on the first offense. If clothing is distracting to the learning environment, students will be asked to contact a parent to bring a change of clothing.  A formal copy of the dress code guidelines is listed in your child's agenda book. Listed below is an abbreviated list of violations:

1. No tights or leggings.

2. No see through tops.

3. Skirts, shorts, or dresses should be fingertip length (index finger).

4. No obscene language on any clothing item (drugs, tobacco, alcohol or inappropriate language or pictures, etc.).

5. No camisoles can be worn as a shirt.

6. Holes, rips, or tears in jeans must be below the knee.

7. Tank tops must be 3 fingers in width.

8. Tank tops worn by young men cannot expose chest.

9. No hats, bonnets, or head wraps.

10. Clothing worn underneath a jacket, vest, or sweatshirt must be within dress code guidelines.

11. Pants, jeans, shorts worn by young men must be on their waist at all times (no sagging).

[https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRV60Hc2ut6TsnlP4_Tvf8pYnbjDsIHSUowKlrYdvoNRHylAUBM]<http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=Oi3KIq-vjyjRiM&tbnid=chO-IEFn3jtSbM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fhillbilly98%2Fpantsjeans%2F&ei=lpUAVL_AHpDxgwTu-4DYDQ&bvm=bv.74115972,d.eXY&psig=AFQjCNHehpJUCsTD_6U6ubGKrs0s81JWig&ust=1409410822196588>

What is Bullying?
Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Bullying includes actions such as making threats, spreading rumors, attacking someone physically or verbally, and excluding someone from a group on purpose. Griffin Middle School will not tolerate bullying.
Your administrative team is available to assist you when you need us.  Best wishes for a very good school year. Please share this information with your neighbors who have children attending Griffin.  The Griffin List Serv is published every Friday with upcoming calendar events and other information the keep parents informed.

Fee-Based Before School Program
Parents, Griffin continues to announce our fee-based Before Based Program. Students are not allowed on campus prior to 8:45 as supervision is not available before that time.  Parents who need to drop off their child prior to 8:45 may sign up for the before school program for $5.00 per day/ $25.00 per week, or $100.00 per month.  Please pick up an application in the front office to sign up. Thank you for your support as we work to ensure the safety of our students by providing the necessary supervision for a safe and orderly school environment.
[cid:image008.png@01CFCE91.213820A0][cid:image009.png@01CFBE25.955A1550]  Griffin welcomes WGMS 1620 on your AM dial.  Tune in to Griffin's information radio daily for news updates. Stay tuned for further information.

Grandparents Program

The grandparents program is called "Grandparents as Parents" or GaP, for short.   It is a support group for grandparents and other relatives raising another person's children.  They meet on the last Wednesday of every month at the main public library downtown for a free catered luncheon at noon with an educational presentation, exhibits from community agencies, health screenings and access to representatives from DCF and legal services.  But reservations are required so that they can have enough food for everyone!  If you are  interested in this program, call Karen Boebinger at 891-4027 or email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> to make a reservation.  They would LOVE to have anyone who is raising a relative's child join us for these lunches, or for a GaP family picnic, outing or holiday party.

[cid:image003.png@01CFA763.B4AAB140]

[cid:image005.png@01CFA763.B4AAB140]

Box Tops For Education
Visit boxtops4education.com to find ways to support Griffin MS as well as discovering a selection of coupons to save money on food purchases.

Pop-Tops For Ronald McDonald House
Don't forget to pop the tops off your aluminum cans and send them in to Griffin.  We will donate all pop-tops to the Ronald McDonald House.

2014-2015 Calendar
(Dates may change and events will be added throughout the school year.)
Ongoing throughout the school year:
Everyday                                         Waste Free Lunch, cafeteria, 11:30-1:00
Every Friday                                   Recycle Curbside Pick Up, 9:25-9:50 a.m.
1st Monday of the Month              SAC (6:00 p.m.) & PTO Meeting (5:30 p.m.)
Friday after 3rd Wednesday           Faculty Meetings, 7:45 a.m.
Everyday                                         Morning Band Rehearsals 8-8:45 a.m., for students without band class

2014
October
1-31                        Yankee Candle Fundraiser.
16                           Bruster's Fundraiser @ Bruster's, 6-8 p.m.
17                           Blue Pop Friday, Students receive pre-paid Blue Pops
17                           End of 1st 9 weeks
20                           Teacher Planning/Inservice Day - No School
22                           Football, Championship Game Teams TBA, 5:30 & 7:30 p.m., Cox Stadium. Admission - $4.00
27                           Boys Soccer Cobb vs Griffin @ Belle Vue Field #2, 6:30 p.m
27                           Girls Basketball Cobb vs Griffin @ Cobb, 6:30 p.m.
28                           Band/Chorus Fall Fundraiser, Dinner tickets $10.00, Cafeteria @ 6:30-7:45 p.m.
29                           Girls Basketball Griffin vs Raa @ Griffin, 6:30 p.m.
29                           Report Cards 1st 9 weeks
31                           6th grade Fieldtrip to Skate Inn Tallahassee @ 9:30 - 1:30 p.m.

November
3                              Girls Basketball Montford vs Griffin @ Montford, 6:30 p.m.
3                              PTO (5:30 p.m.) & SAC (6:00 p.m.) Meetings, Media Center
4                              Boys Soccer Montford vs Griffin @ Belle Vue Field #2, 6:30 p.m.
5                              Girls Basketball Deerlake vs Griffin @ Deerlake, 6:30 p.m.
6                              Boys Soccer Deerlake vs Griffin @ Belle Vue Field #1, 6:30 p.m.
10                           Boys Soccer Fairview vs Griffin @ Belle Vue Field #1, 6:30 p.m
11                            Veterans Day Holiday - No School
12                           Girls Basketball Fairview vs Griffin @ Fairview, 6:30 p.m.
17                           Girls Basketball Griffin vs Ft. Braden @ Griffin, 6:30 p.m.
18                           Boys Soccer Griffin vs Swift Creek @ Belle Vue Field #2, 6:30 p.m.
19                           Girls Basketball Griffin vs Nims @ Griffin, 6:30 p.m.
19                           Interim Reports 2nd  9 weeks
20                           Boys Soccer Griffin vs Ft. Braden @ Belle Vue Field #1, 6:30 p.m.
25                           Turkey Trot, 2:00 - 3:50, PE/Backfield
26- 28                    Thanksgiving Holiday - No School

December
2                              Boys Soccer Griffin vs Raa @ Belle Vue Field #2, 6:30 p.m.
3                              Boys Soccer Griffin vs Nims @ Belle Vue Field #2, 6:30 p.m
3                              Girls Basketball Griffin vs Swift Creek @ Griffin, 6:30 p.m.
8                              PTO (5:30 p.m.) & SAC (6:00 p.m.) Meetings, Media Center
17-19                     Exam/Early Release days - Dismissal at 1:20 p.m.
19                           End of 2nd 9 weeks
20                           Teacher Planning/Inservice Day - No School
22-31                     Winter Holidays - No School

2015
January
1-2                         Winter Holidays - No School
5                             Teacher Planning/Inservice Day - No School
6                             Students Return
14                           Report Cards 2nd 9  weeks
16                           School Geography Bee, 9:45-10:30 a.m., Cafeteria, Mrs. Marshall sponsor
19                           Martin Luther King Holiday - No School

February               FCAT Writing (Grade 8) Date TBA
2                             PTO (5:30 p.m.) & SAC (6:00 p.m.) Meetings, Media Center
4                              Interim Reports 3rd 9 weeks
5                             School History Fair Website and Documentary Judging, 9:30-4:00, Media Center
6                             School History Fair Performances and Exhibit, 9:30-4:00, Media Center
March
2                             PTO (5:30 p.m.) & SAC (6:00 p.m.) Meetings, Media Center
13                          End of 3rd 9 weeks
16-20                    Spring Break - No School
23                          Teacher Planning/Inservice Day - No School
24                          Students Return

April                      FCAT Reading, Math, Science
1                             Report Cards 3rd 9 weeks
6                             PTO (5:30 p.m.) & SAC (6:00 p.m.) Meetings, Media Center
22                           Interim Reports 4th 9 weeks

May
4                             PTO (5:30 p.m.) & SAC (6:00 p.m.) Meetings, Media Center
12                          Band/Chorus Spring Concert - 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
20                          8th Grade Accolades, 9:00-4:00, Awards Ceremony and cookout for 8th graders
25                          Memorial Day Holiday
28-29                    Exam/Early Release Days - Dismissal at 1:20 p.m.

June
1                      Exam/Early Release Day - Dismissal at 1:20 p.m.
                        Last Day of School/End of 4th 9 weeks
2-3                   Teacher Planning/Inservice Days
10                     Secondary Report Cards

Griffin Middle Information Technology School
800 Alabama Street
Tallahassee, FL 32304
www.griffin.leon.k12.fl.us<http://www.griffin.leon.k12.fl.us>
T:  850.617.5353