From:
"Dorsey, Karen" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2014 20:02:47 +0000
text/plain (1 MB) , text/html (1 MB) , image002.gif (1 MB) , image003.png (1 MB) , image004.png (1 MB) , image009.png (1 MB) , image010.png (1 MB) , image005.gif (1 MB) , image006.jpg (1 MB) , image007.gif (1 MB) , image001.png (1 MB) , image012.png (1 MB)

Open House @ 5:30pm [Holy Cross School | A Catholic School in the Archdiocese of Washington] <http://www.clipartbest.com/clipart-9izLMK9iE>
On Thursday, September 11, 2014 at 5:30pm we will be hosting our annual Open House! We invite you to come out, meet your child's teachers, and explore our curriculum. Each teacher will review their classroom rules and procedures, course syllabus, and give an overview of the curriculum.

Open House will begin promptly at 5:30pm and will end at 7:00pm. From 7:00pm to 7:30pm we are asking our parents to complete a brief survey so that we will know how to meet your 2014-2015 school year needs and expectations.  As a small token of our appreciation, dinner will be provided to all participants.

We look forward to seeing your there!!

[Join Us PTO Meeting]<http://desertcovepto.org/files/2012/08/Join-Us-PTO-Meeting.jpg>

Magnet Meeting

On Friday, September 05, 2014, we held our first magnet meeting. We discussed ways to become more involved in the community and service learning projects. Our first service-learning project will be We Care Kits. We will be collecting toiletry items (toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, deodorant, lotion, combs, brushes, etc.) for the Homeless Shelter. We are asking all magnet students to donate five items, and we are soliciting participation from the faculty, staff, and the community. We will begin collecting items on Monday, September 8, 2014 and will deliver them on November 3, 2014.

We are excited to announce that our partnership with Riley Elementary has continued. We have been reading buddies with Mrs. Carter-Hall's kindergarten class for the past 3 years and it is something that all of the students enjoy! Our first trip will be Thursday, October 16, 2014. All participants must purchase a magnet t-shirt, the cost is $12. The first 20 students with a signed permission form and t-shirt fee submitted will be allowed to participate.
All magnet students are invited to attend the monthly meetings. Meetings will be the first Friday of each month, from 9:00-9:20am in the Media Center.

If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Mrs. Montgomery @ [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

PTO Meeting
[https://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs134/1104907686741/img/314.gif]On Monday, September 8, 2014 at 5:30pm, we will have our first PTO and SAC meeting of the 2014-2015 year! From 5:30pm-6:00pm, our Parent Teacher Organization will convene.  During this meeting, we will be nominating and electing officers, discussing fundraising opportunities, discovering new ways to get our parents and community members involved, and much more!  From 6:00-7:00pm our School Advisory Council will convene.  During this meeting the mission, vision, and goals for the school year will be discussed. We would like to have our parents become a member of at least of these     groups and would love it if you would be a member of both.

Please confirm your participation with Mrs. Montgomery @ [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  if you plan to attend. A light dinner will be served.

Hope to see you there!!!

[Logo]<http://parentportal.leonschools.net/>

 Parent Portal Access
The Parent Portal will be available beginning on Monday, September 2nd, 2014, 8:00AM ET for student grades and attendance access for the 2014-2015 school year.  Parent Portal letters that include student's username and passwords were sent home today.
If you are a new Leon County Schools parent and you are not familiar with Parent Portal, then please visit the Parent/Student User Guide link below:
Parent and Student User guides: http://parentportal.leonschools.net/PinpointPortal.html

Dress Code

Students have been reminded of the Dress Code since the first day of school. Student that are sent to the office, seen during transition, or warned by the classroom teacher will be issued warning on the first offense. If clothing is distraction to the learning environment, students will be asked to contact a parent for a change of clothing, or be assigned to ISD for the remainder of the day. A formal copy of the dress code guidelines will be listed in your child's agenda book. Listed below is an abbreviated list of violations:

1. No tights or leggings.

2. No see through tops.

3. Skirts, shorts, or dresses should be fingertip length (index finger).

4. No obscene language on any clothing item (drugs, tobacco, alcohol or inappropriate language or pictures, etc).

5. No camisoles can be worn as a shirt.

6. Holes, rips, or tears in jeans must be below the knee.

7. Tank tops must be 3 fingers in width.

8. Tank tops worn by young men cannot expose chest.

9. No hats, bonnets, or head wraps.

10. Clothing worn underneath a jacket, vest, or sweatshirt must be within dress code guidelines.

11. Pants, jeans, shorts worn by young men must be on their waist at all times (no sagging).

[https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRV60Hc2ut6TsnlP4_Tvf8pYnbjDsIHSUowKlrYdvoNRHylAUBM]<http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=Oi3KIq-vjyjRiM&tbnid=chO-IEFn3jtSbM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fhillbilly98%2Fpantsjeans%2F&ei=lpUAVL_AHpDxgwTu-4DYDQ&bvm=bv.74115972,d.eXY&psig=AFQjCNHehpJUCsTD_6U6ubGKrs0s81JWig&ust=1409410822196588>

This week all student watched a District mandated Bullying, Sexual harassment presentation to learn about bullying.
What is Bullying?
Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Bullying includes actions such as making threats, spreading rumors, attacking someone physically or verbally, and excluding someone from a group on purpose. Griffin Middle School will not tolerate bullying.

Your administrative team is available to assist you when you need us.  Best wishes for a very good school year. Please share this information with your neighbors who have children attending Griffin.  The Griffin List Serv is published every Friday with upcoming calendar events and other information the keep parents informed.

Fee-Based Before School Program Begins Monday, August 25th.
Parents, Griffin continues to announce our fee-based Before Based Program. Students are not be allowed on campus prior to 8:45 as supervision is not available before that time.  Parents who need to drop off their child prior to 8:45 may sign up for the before school program for $5.00 per day/ $25.00 per week, or $100.00 per month.  Please pick up an application in the front office to sign up. Thank you for your support as we work to ensure the safety of our students by providing the necessary supervision for a safe and orderly school environment.

[cid:image012.png@01CFC922.D03A0C90][cid:image009.png@01CFBE25.955A1550]  Griffin welcomes WGMS 1620 on your AM dial.  Tune in to Griffin's information radio daily for news updates. Stay tuned for further information.

Grandparents Program

The grandparents program is called "Grandparents as Parents" or GaP, for short.   It is a support group for grandparents and other relatives raising another person's children.  They meet on the last Wednesday of every month at the main public library downtown for a free catered luncheon at noon with an educational presentation, exhibits from community agencies, health screenings and access to representatives from DCF and legal services.  But reservations are required so that they can have enough food for everyone!  If you are  interested in this program, call Karen Boebinger at 891-4027 or email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> to make a reservation.  They would LOVE to have anyone who is raising a relative's child join us for these lunches, or for a GaP family picnic, outing or holiday party.

[cid:image003.png@01CFA763.B4AAB140]

[cid:image005.png@01CFA763.B4AAB140]

Dress Code Policy Implementation
Students are reminded that our dress code policy remains the same.  You are not permitted to wear house shoes, jeans with holes or rips above the knee (even if you have tights on underneath), see through shirts, camisoles or thin strapped tank tops cannot be worn as a shirt, anything worn underneath a vest or unzipped jacket must be within dress code (including camisoles), shorts, skirts, and dresses must be fingertip length, tank tops must not show cleavage and be 3 fingers in width.  Tights or leggings cannot be worn as pants, jeggings can be worn with pockets on the back.  Young men must have their jeans, pants or shirts on their waist at all times.  Hats are not permitted, and hoods from hoodies cannot be worn on your head.  Failure to adhere to the dress code will result in 1 day of ISD on your 1st offense, 2 days on your 2nd offense, 3 days on your 3rd offense and OSS any time thereafter.  Please see Mrs. Montgomery if you have questions or concerns.

BoxTops For Education
Visit boxtops4education.com to find ways to support Griffin MS as well as discovering a selection of coupons to save money on food purchases.

Pop-Tops For Ronald McDonald House
Don't forget to pop the tops off your aluminum cans and send them in to Griffin.  We will donate all pop-tops to the Ronald McDonald House.

2014-2015 Calendar
(Dates may change and events will be added throughout the school year.)
Ongoing throughout the school year:
Everyday                                         Waste Free Lunch, cafeteria, 11:30-1:00
Every Friday                                   Recycle Curbside Pick Up, 9:25-9:50 a.m.
1st Monday of the Month              SAC (6:00 p.m.) & PTO Meeting (7:00 p.m.)
Friday after 3rd Wednesday           Faculty Meetings, 7:45 a.m.
Everyday                                         Morning Band Rehearsals 8-8:45 a.m., for students without band class

2014
September
3                             Band/Chorus Sponsorship Drive
8                             Volleyball, Cobb vs Griffin, 6:30 p.m., Cobb
9                             Football, Griffin vs Cobb, 5:30 p.m., Cox Stadium
10                           Volleyball, Griffin vs Raa, 6:30 p.m., Griffin
10                           Cross Country @ Montford MS, 6:00 p.m.
11                           Open House @ 6:00 p.m
15                           Volleyball, Montford vs Griffin, 6:30 p.m., Montford
16                           Football, Griffin vs Raa, 5:30 p.m., Cox Stadium
17                           Volleyball, Deerlake vs Griffin, 6:30 p.m., Deerlake
18                           Cross Country @ Gretchen Everhart, 6:00 p.m.
22                           Volleyball, Fairview vs Griffin, 6:30 p.m., Fairview
23                           Football, Deerlake vs Griffin, 5:30 p.m., Chiles Stadium
23                           Band/Chorus Share Night @ Chick-fil-a on Monroe St., 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
24                           Cross Country @ Alford Greenways, 6:00 p.m.
24                           8th Grade Parent Night, 5:30-6:15 p.m., Media Center
25                           6th Grade Health Screening, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., media center
26                           History Makers Guest Presentation, 9:45-10:30 a.m., Cafeteria
29                           Volleyball, Griffin vs Ft. Braden, 6:30 p.m., Griffin
30                           Football, Fairview vs Griffin, 5:30 p.m., Cox Stadium
October
1                              Volleyball, Griffin vs Nims, 6:30 p.m., Griffin
1                             Cross Country City Championship @ Apalachee Park, 6:00 p.m.
3                             Fall Holiday - No School
6                              Volleyball, Griffin vs Swift Creek, 6:30 p.m., Griffin
7                             Football, Swift Creek vs Griffin, 5:30 p.m., Chiles Stadium
14                           Football, Griffin vs Nims, 5:30 p.m., Cox Stadium
15                           8th Grade Uncle Jerry's T's Fundraiser to pay for 8th grade events
17                           End of 1st 9 weeks
20                           Teacher Planning/Inservice Day - No School
22                           Football, Championship Game Teams TBA, 5:30 & 7:30 p.m., Cox Stadium. Admission - $4.00
28                           Band/Chorus Fall Fundraiser, Dinner tickets $10.00, Cafeteria @ 6:30-7:45 p.m.
November
11                           Veterans Day Holiday - No School
25                           Turkey Trot, 2:00 - 3:50, PE/Backfield
26- 28                    Thanksgiving Holiday - No School

December
17-19                    Exam/Early Release days - Dismissal at 1:20 p.m.
19                          End of 2nd 9 weeks
20                          Teacher Planning/Inservice Day - No School
22-31                    Winter Holidays - No School

2015
January
1-2                        Winter Holidays - No School
5                            Teacher Planning/Inservice Day - No School
6                            Students Return
16                          School Geography Bee, 9:45-10:30 a.m., Cafeteria, Mrs. Marshall sponsor
19                          Martin Luther King Holiday - No School

February              FCAT Writing (Grade 8) Date TBA
5                             School History Fair Website and Documentary Judging, 9:30-4:00, Media Center
6                             School History Fair Performances and Exhibit, 9:30-4:00, Media Center
March
13                          End of 3rd 9 weeks
16-20                    Spring Break - No School
23                          Teacher Planning/Inservice Day - No School
24                          Students Return

April                      FCAT Reading, Math, Science

May
12                          Band/Chorus Spring Concert - 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
20                          8th Grade Accolades, 9:00-4:00, Awards Ceremony and cookout for 8th graders
25                          Memorial Day Holiday
28-29                    Exam/Early Release Days - Dismissal at 1:20 p.m.

June
1                      Exam/Early Release Day - Dismissal at 1:20 p.m.
                        Last Day of School/End of 4th 9 weeks
2-3                   Teacher Planning/Inservice Days

Griffin Middle Information Technology School
800 Alabama Street
Tallahassee, Fl 32304
T:  850.617.5353
F:  850.617.5354