From:
"Lewis, Barbara" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2008 15:45:23 -0400
Friday, October 10, 2008

Student Picture Proofs went home today.  Picture orders are due back to
homeroom teachers by Thursday, October 16.  If you would like your child
to participate in picture retakes, we have these scheduled for Tuesday,
October 21st.

Calendar of Upcoming Events

"Enjoy the City" Coupon Books continue to be on sale with Studio
Production/Successful Young Men & Women

2008/2009 Yearbooks continue to sell for $35.00 (with photo on front,
$8.00 more, only available until 12/5)

Monday, October 13 - Columbus Day - School is in Session.

          Girls Volleyball 1A Championship, Griffin vs Montford, 5:30
p.m. @Chiles

       Boys Soccer practice 2:00-4:00

       Girls Basketball tryouts/practice, 2:00

Tuesday, October 14

            Science Project Procedure and Materials List due to science
teachers

       GMS Tackle Football vs Montford, 6:00 p.m. @Cox Stadium

          School Board Meeting @6:00 p.m., Howell Center

       Boys Soccer practice 2:00-4:00

       Girls Basketball tryouts/practice, 2:00

Wednesday, October 15

          Beta Club meets in Mr. Shulla's room, 2:00 p.m.

          Boys Soccer practice 2:00-4:00, football players tryout today

       Girls Basketball tryouts/practice, 2:00

Thursday, October 16 - National Bosses Day - Don't Forget Your Boss
Today!

          End of 1st 9-weeks

          Picture Orders are due to homeroom teacher

          District Advisory Meeting, @ 6:00 p.m., Howell Center

          Boys Soccer practice 2:00-4:00

          SGA with Mrs. Jones, 2:00

       Girls Basketball tryouts/practice, 2:00

Friday, October 17

          Teacher Planning Day - No School for Students

October 20-30        GMS Mock Presidential Election

October 21            Student Picture Retakes

October 22            Chorus After School Rehearsal in Chorus Room,
2-3:00 p.m.

October 23            Fall Chorus Concert in Chorus Room, 7:00-7:45 p.m.

                        Chorus members report at 6:30 p.m.

October 23            Chick-Fil-A "We've Got Spirit Night"

October 27            Report Cards go home

October 31-Nov 3    Barnes & Nobles PTO Fundraiser

November 4           United States Presidential Election - Remember to
Vote

November 11          Veterans Day Holiday - No School

December 10          Chorus performs at Old State Capitol at 11:00 a.m.

GMS Mock Presidential Election

As everyone is gearing up for the November 4th Presidential Election, we
have plans to hold our own mock Presidential Election at GMS in October.
Be sure that your child is watching the political debates and reading
the newspapers so that s/he can make an informed decision.  Also, talk
to your children about the importance of every vote and even plan on
taking your child with you to the polls on November 4th when you vote.
Griffin has adopted the Dade Street Voting Precinct so that while you
vote, your child can also vote in the Kids Voting Program at the
precinct.  Our mock election will take place at the school October
20th-October 30th.  Students will be issued voting cards and will vote
via computer.  This is an exciting and historic time and we can all be
involved!

District Advisory Council

Thanks to Dale Cofield, Edie Crum, and Deborah Jackson who have
graciously volunteered to coordinate their efforts as District Advisory
Council Representatives for Griffin.  We appreciate all of our
volunteers and look forward to working with everyone this year.

Get Ready For:

Griffin "We Have Spirit" Night

  AT

(North Monroe)

Take your family to "EAT MOR CHIKIN" at

                             on Thursday, October 23rd, 5:30-8:30 p.m.

When you say "I'm a Griffin Middle School Tiger"

and hand your receipt back to the cashier,

Griffin Middle School will receive 15% of that sale.

This is a great and yummy way to raise funds for

Griffin Middle School!

In addition, our administrative staff will be in the dining room to
welcome you in the door, fill your drinks, and bus your table.

(Say "please" and " thank you"!)

Just when you think it couldn't get any better,

all dine-in guests who mention their Homeroom Teacher's name

have a chance to win a Chicken Nugget Tray

for their Homeroom Class.

(The class with the most participation wins!)

So, join your classmates and their families for the

Griffin Middle School "We Have Spirit" Night At

At

No Child Left Behind

            It is the time in the school year where the Administrative
team at Griffin looks at student achievement data, discourse with
teachers about developing courses and strategies to help our students
gain even more in the academic arena, and invite community stakeholders
to share with us their perceptions of the job we are doing for their
children.

            Our administrative team has developed a schedule of classes
that we believe will meet the needs of all students at Griffin Middle
School. In providing the support classes needed for all students and
considering the teaching certification of our teachers, strategic
decisions were made to implement a plan to meet our needs. While working
through this process and as required by the No Child Left Behind Act of
2001, any student in Ms. Harris's reading or Ms. Carter's language arts
classes has been  taught for four or more consecutive weeks by a teacher
who has not met the federal No Child Left Behind "Highly Qualified"
requirements in this particular class. However, please be assured that
your child's teacher does possess appropriate certification in language
arts as well as holds certification in several other areas that the
state of Florida recognizes and has extensive experience teaching this
curriculum.

            Please trust that your administrative team weighed all
options in determining the appropriate placement for your son or
daughter. Taking into account the facts that Griffin Middle School
houses a veteran teaching staff with many holding multiple
certifications, Ms. Lynn and the administrative team feels it will be
advantageous for your child's academic success to pair him/her with this
teacher. As always, if you have any questions or concerns, do not
hesitate to contact Gwendolyn Lynn, Principal, or BJ Van Camp, Assistant
Principal for Curriculum, by phone at 488-8436 or by email.

 Griffin Business Partners

We would like to thank the following businesses who have volunteered to
be a "Partner For Excellence" with Griffin.  Please be sure to patronize
these businesses as they are partnering with Griffin to enhance your
child's education:  Awards 4U, Chick-Fil-A, Elite Deli & Catering,
Kustom Komputing & Consulting, Kenny T's, Metlife-Susan Fristoe,
Randolph's Alteration Shop, Sam's Club, and Mr. & Mrs. Sunday Udofiah.
If your business would like to participate, please contact Mr. Ronnie
Crum, GMS Business Partner Coordinator, at 488-8436.