COES-PARENTS Archives

Canopy Oaks Parents

COES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Brenda Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 14:28:18 -0400
Monday, 10/9
Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm

Tuesday 10/11
Individual Picture Retakes

Thursday, 10/12
Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
End of First Nine Weeks

Friday, 10/13
District/Statewide Inservice Day (Students out)

Upcoming School Events:
10/6    Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/19    Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/23 - 10/27    Red Ribbon Week
10/23    Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
         Aesop's Fables performance from 7:00 - 8:00 pm
10/25    Elementary Report Cards go home
10/26    Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/27    AR Celebration
10/27    1st 9 Weeks Awards Assemblies
         Kindergarten, 1st and 1/2 Classes - 8:00 am
         2nd & 3rd grade classes @ 9:00 am
         4th & 5th grade classes @ 10:00 am
10/29    Daylight Savings Time Ends, ("Fall Back" - move clocks back one hour)
10/30    Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm

Principal's Message
The School Advisory Council met on August 21st to review the 2006-2007 School Improvement
Plan.  We appreciate your taking time to review this document at the Public Hearing and Open
House on August 28th.  We appreciate your suggestions.  The School Improvement Plan was
submitted to the Leon County School Board for approval prior to October 1st.

Families that read together succeed together!  Arrange a special time to read together every day.
Just before bed, in the morning, after dinner-whatever works best for your family.  Find a quiet
place where you can snuggle up and relax with one another.  Visit your library to pick out
interesting stories and books of all kinds.  Select them together, or have each of you find
something that excites you and that youngsters will enjoy.  Use different voices for the characters.
Make faces and gestures, and add sound effects.  Have each person who is able to read take a
turn.  Beginning readers can take shorter turns if they like.  Ask questions about what you read,
such as "How do you think this story will end?" or "What was your favorite part of the story? Why?"

FTE Week October 9 - 12, 2006
Monday, October 9th, begins our FTE week.  This is the week we need to try and have all of our
students in school and on the bus, if they ride one.  The schools and busses are funded by
attendance during this week.  There are two weeks out of the year (one week in October and one
week in February) that the state selects to monitor our attendance and see how many children we
serve.

1st 9 weeks Awards Criteria
The following are awards that will be given out and criteria that needs to be met to receive the
award:
*  "A" Honor Roll - Grades 2 - 5 - All A's in Academic Areas including Special Area; E's in
Citizenship and Work Study.
* A/B Honor Roll - Grades 2 - 5 - All A's and B's in Academic Areas including Special Area; E's and
S's in Citizenship and Work Study.
* Perfect Attendance (ribbon) - Given at the end of the year.  No absences, tardies, or leaving
early.
* Terrific Cardinal (ribbon) - All students who have E's in Citizenship and Work Study.
* Successful Cardinal - Two students per class who have shown the most overall improvement in
class.
* Art, Music and P.E. Award - Outstanding achievement. Two students per class.
* Media Award - Participation on the WCOE Show.

COE First Annual Poinsettia Sale Fundraiser
Support Canopy Oaks PTO while enjoying a wonderful holiday tradition!  These locally grown
plants come in 6 1/2" pots and are guaranteed to be fresher than store bought.  They will be red
in color and the price is just $8.00 each.  Students will be taking orders through October 11th.
The plants will be available for pick up between November 27th - 29th.

Be sure to come to Media at Night on Monday, October 23rd for a night of storytelling.
Tallahassee Community College will be presenting Aesop's
Fables.  The show will start at 7:00 pm in the Cafeteria.

Business Partners
Would you and your business like to make a difference in our school and community?  Being a
business partner is a meaningful way to get involved and enhance our educational programs.
Businesses large and small can help by sharing their time and talent.  If you would like to learn
more about our Business Partners Program contact our school office and we'll get the information
to our Partner's Coordinators.

Check out the information for parents on our web site pertaining to Kids Voting <http://
www.canopyoaks.leon.k12.fl.us/info/KidsVoting.html>. Kids Voting Leon County is a nonprofit,
nonpartisan program devoted to educating students in grades K-12 about the voting process and
civic responsibility.

On Saturday, October 7, 2006, families will have the opportunity to celebrate Hispanic Heritage
Month at the state of Florida's last official Hispanic Heritage Month event at Mission San Luis in
Tallahassee. Two events will take place at Mission San Luis from 10am-2pm. The events are: A
Celebration of La Florida- a festival celebrating Hispanic Heritage at Mission San Luis and Blessing
of Animals - Families are invited to bring their pets to the Mission San Luis to be blessed in the
church in a traditional Hispanic ceremony. Both events are free and open to the public. Special
guests at this event will include: Mayor Marks and First Lady Columba Bush.

Titus Champions Fitness Program
The Champions Program is off to an exciting start.  Our coaches and students are energetic and
enthusiastic!  We are moving constantly for 45 minutes.  There are 4 different circuits, each having
a separate exercise routine.  We currently have 60 students enrolled and many others on a waiting
list.   Attendance and participation are vital for the success of this program.  Siblings of Champion
students that go home by way of parent pick-up need to be picked up at 2:10 pm when school is
out.

Nutrition Tip of the Week
5 a day! Eating a serving of fruit with lunch can help you reach the goal of five servings of fruits
and vegetables a day. Try a fresh apple, peach, plum or your favorite fruit cup for lunch or an
after-school snack today!

Physical Activity of the Week
Walking Pounds Away:
If you walk 5 hours more a week at a moderate speed and make no other changes, you should
lose a half pound a week, and get healthier to boot. Add 5 minutes to your regular workout each
week for a month, and you will burn more calories easily.

Canopy Oaks activity calendar is available on our website at:
<http://www.canopyoaks.leon.k12.fl.us/calendar.html>

Please forward this on to other Canopy Oaks parents who might be interested in joining our
listserv.

You may join or leave the listserv or change your email address at:
<http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/archives/coesparents.html>