COES-PARENTS Archives

Canopy Oaks Parents

COES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Brenda Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:14:48 -0500
Monday, 2/7
Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
SAC meeting @ 5:30 pm
PTO meeting @ 7:00 pm

Tuesday, 2/8
FCAT Writing for 4th Grade

Wednesday,2/9
FCAT Writing for 4th Grade

Thursday, 2/10
Writes Upon Request
Progress Reports Sent Home - date changed due to FCAT testing
Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm

Friday, 2/11
Class Pictures

Upcoming Events:

2/14    Valentine's Day
2/14    Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
        Kwambena Dinizulu, an African storyteller, will visit at 6:30 pm during  "Media at Night" to
help celebrate Black History month.
2/17    Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
2/21    Presidents' Day (Student's and Teachers Out)
2/21    No Media At Night
2/24    Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
2/28    FCAT SSS Reading - grades 3 & 4
        FCAT SSS Math - grade 5
2/28    No Media At Night
3/1     Deadline to turn in reassignment requests
3/1     FCAT SSS Reading - grades 3 - 4
        FCAT SSS Math - grade 5
3/2     FCAT SSS Reading - grade 5
        FCAT SSS Math - grades 3 - 4
3/3 - 3/4 FCAT Make-ups
3/3     No Media At Night
3/7     FCAT Science - grade 5
3/7     No Media At Night
3/7     SAC meeting @ 5:30 pm
3/7     PTO meeting @ 7:00 pm
3/8     FCAT NRT Reading - grades 3 - 5
        FCAT NRT Math - grades 3 - 5
3/9 - 3/10   FCAT Make-ups
3/10    No Media At Night
3/14    Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
3/17    Art Day
3/17    Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
3/17    End of Third Nine Weeks
3/18    Teacher Planning/Inservice Day (Students Out)
3/21-3/25  Spring Break (Students/Teachers Out)
3/28    No Media At Night
3/29 - April 1  SAT/9 Testing for 1st & 2nd Grades
3/31    No Media At Night

Principal's Message
February is Volunteer Appreciation Month.  At Canopy Oaks we are grateful for all of our
volunteers and the many hours and services they provide for our school community.  We could not
be the school we are without our Cardinal Volunteers and Business Partners.  Thank you for all
that you do to make COE a special place for boys and girls, as well as staff and parents!

The 2005 - 2006 school year calendar is now available.  For a list view of dates go to: <http://
www.planning.leon.k12.fl.us/0506traditional.htm> or view a month by month view go to: <http:/
/www.canopyoaks.leon.k12.fl.us/calendar.html>

Religious Holiday Reminder
Remember that if you are planning to be out of school due to a religious holiday, please come by
the front office and pick up a religious holiday exemption request form.  The form must be
completed for the absence to be excused.  You will need to pick up the form before the holiday
occurs.

FCAT Explorer
The Florida Dept. of Education provides a web site for students to practice for the FCAT. Students
can access FCAT Explorer from home or school through the link on Canopy Oaks' home page. All
students grades 3 - 5 have a username and password for FCAT Explorer. The teachers have this
information for those students who don't remember their username and password.

Cold Weather
Parents, please make sure your children are appropriately dressed for this cold weather we have
been having.  Remember, anytime the children leave their classrooms, they travel on outside
hallways.  You may also want to check our lost & found - it is full of jackets and sweaters.

**IMPORTANT INFORMATION**
REASSIGNMENT FOR 2005-06 SCHOOL YEAR
March 1st is the deadline to apply for reassignment for the 2005-06 school year.  If your child is
already approved for reassignment to Canopy Oaks, there is no need to reapply, unless you are
living outside Leon County.   If you live outside Leon County, you do need to reapply each year.  If
you moved during this school year and are no longer in the Canopy Oaks zone, you will need to
apply for reassignment in order for your child to remain at Canopy Oaks next year.  Otherwise,
your child will be transferred to the school in your zone at the end of this school year.  Please call
the School Choice Office at 487-7546 or 414-5160 if you should have questions.   (Remember:
your child is NOT automatically grandfathered NOR can siblings automatically attend if another
sibling has already been reassigned.)

Open Houses
As you know the deadline for School Choice forms to be turned in to the school board is March
1st.  Several schools offer different programs that parents might be interested in learning more
about.  Listed below are dates for the School Choice Open Houses that have been or will be
advertised in the Tallahassee Democrat -

ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS:
Sealey:   January 25
6:00 PM in the Media Center
Apalachee:   January 31
7:00 PM in the Media Center

MIDDLE SCHOOLS:
Griffin:  January 20
6:30 PM in the Media Center
Cobb:   January 27
5:00 PM in the Gymnasium
Belle Vue:  February 1
6:00 PM in the Cafeteria
Fairview:  February 15
6:00 PM in the Cafeteria
Nims:  February 17
6:00 PM in the Media Center

HIGH SCHOOLS:
Rickards:  January 18
7:00 PM in the Auditorium
Lincoln:  January 24
7:00 PM in the Auditorium
Lively Academy:  February 7
60 PM in Bldg 15 at Lively Technical Center
Godby:  February 10
6:00 PM in the Media Center

Media at Night
Poet N' Griot
Join our celebration of Black History Month as we enjoy African stories and fables told by a
critically acclaimed performance artist.  The artist will be at Media At Night Monday, February 14,
2005 starting at 6:30pm.

Volunteer Appreciation Week
February is Volunteer Appreciation Month!  And we want to let all our volunteers know that
Canopy Oaks would not be an "A School" without you!  You might wonder - "Who is considered a
volunteer?"  Volunteers are anyone who volunteers their time to help the school in any way.  If you
take papers home to grade, bake cookies for the class, come in to help in the classroom,
participate with the carnival, chaperone field trips, serve on the SAC committee, participate in PTO
activities, etc. - you are considered a volunteer. Volunteering has a wide variety of "jobs" that it
covers.  We appreciate all that you do, not only in the month of February, but all year long.
Please join us as we celebrate our school volunteers!  Canopy Oaks will be celebrating all of our
wonderful volunteers, which includes our business partners, the week of Feb. 14th with the
following special days:
Monday 2/14       Warm Beverages (7:30 - 9:00)
Tuesday 2/15       Lunch (11:00 -1:00)
Wednesday 2/16    Breakfast (7:30- 10:00)
Thursday 2/17       Lunch (11:00-1:00)
Friday 2/18       Breakfast (7:30- 10:00)

Leon County Schools Parent Guide
Leon County Schools is pleased to provide you with a brief handbook to give you an overview of
the work that we do with your children for the 180 days they are with us.  In the near future, one
of these handbooks  will go home to each household.  You may also view the handbook online at
<http://www.leon.k12.fl.us/parentinfo.htm> and click on Parent Guide.

Canopy Oaks activity calendar is available on our website at:
< http://www.canopyoaks.leon.k12.fl.us/calendar.html>

Please forward this on to other Canopy Oaks parents who might be interested in joining our
listserv.  You may join or leave the listserv at: <http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/archives/
coesparents.html>