From:
Christi Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:22:39 -0500
PRINCIPAL’S PAWSE
Congratulations to all of the students who have worked so hard and earned
top grades in behavior, work/study skills, and academics.  I'm proud of the
students who have improved over the last nine weeks, as well! We will
celebrate student achievement at a special assembly on Wednesday, the 22nd.
Specific times are listed on the back of the newsletter. Keep up the great
work!

MRS. OLK’S CORNER
We are still having an excessive number of tardy students every morning.
Tardiness is very disruptive to both your own child and his/her whole
class. Please make every effort to have your child at school on time each
day. If they are late, they must report to the office before going to class.

CROSSING JORDAN AUTHOR COMING TO CHAIRES ON JANUARY 21ST
Are authors real people?????
You don’t want to miss hearing Adrian Fogelin, author of Crossing Jordan,
speak about her books and the writing process!!! She will be our guest of
honor on Tuesday, January 21st (our Family Writing Night) at 6:00pm in our
media center. Adrian Fogelin has received raves over her first book,
Crossing Jordan, which takes place in Tallahassee! Some of the honors
include being one of the Florida Sunshine State books for grades 3-8,
American Library Association 2001 Best Book for Young Adults, 2000 VOYA Top
Shelf Fiction for middle school readers, the Honors List of International
Reading Association and 2001 Notable Books for a Global Society. If you
liked Crossing Jordan, come check out Anna Casey’s Place in the World and
My Brother’s Hero, which are sequels to it! We are so fortunate to have
this opportunity, please don’t miss it!

PTO MEETING – JANUARY 21ST
The next PTO meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, January 21st at 5:30pm in
the Cafeteria. Pizza and drinks will be available for purchase. “FAMILY
WRITING NIGHT” begins at 6:00pm in the Media Center; we will have Adrian
Fogelin, the author of “Crossing Jordan” here with us to discuss writing
with parents and students.  Mark your calendars!

EAGLE SCOUT SERVICE PROJECT
Taylor Smith’s Eagle Scout troop will be collecting unserviceable flags
(torn or faded) from January 22nd until February 14th. We are collecting
them in the guidance hallway. You are invited to attend the retirement
ceremony at 3:00pm on Sunday, February 16th, at the American Legion Hall at
Lake Ella. If you have any questions, please call Taylor at 877-6253 or e-
mail him at [log in to unmask]

YEARBOOK SALES
Yearbooks are now on sale for $15.00 each. Please make checks payable to
LEONARD’S. Yearbook quantities will be limited; send in your order as soon
as possible. Order envelopes have been sent home. Additional forms
available in the front office.

MARTIN LUTHER KING HOLIDAY
This Monday, January 20th, is Martin Luther King Holiday. There is NO
SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS AND STAFF. Lauren Sackreiter and Jynelle Jarvis, from
5th grade, represented Chaires school at the MLK breakfast. Lauryn is the
current student body president, a member of the chorus and drama clubs, a
competitive gymnast and also a gold panther honor roll recipient. She is an
honest and fair leader of the children here at Chaires. Jynelle is also a
member of the chorus and drama clubs and a gold panther honor roll
recipient. She is an excellent role model for her classmates and
exemplifiies the calm peaceful spirit of Dr. King’s non-violent movement.

MARCH OF DIMES DRIVE
Our Student Council will be conducting their next community project for the
March of Dimes. They will distribute and collect “DIME” cards to join
together to raise money for the March of Dimes beginning February 10th and
ending on the 14th. The money collected supports research to save babies
from pre-maturity, birth defects, etc.

EDUCATION EXPO
The Leon County School District is again participating in the Second Annual
Education Expo, Saturday, February 1, 2003, at the Leon County Civic Center
from 10:00am – 3:00pm. Come, enjoy and be informed about the wealth of
educational opportunities at all the District schools, along with an
activity corner for children, a line-up of well-respected speakers,
entertainment, and education-related exhibitors. ADMISSION AND PARKING IS
FREE!

LITTLE LEAGUE REGISTRATION
The Leon Co. Parks and Recreation Department will be holding registration
for Little League on January 18th and 25th at the Chaires Community Center
that is located next to Chaires’ school. For more information check out the
Community Center website at:  http://
www.co.leon.fl.us/parks/cc/duhfawlt.htm

UPCOMING EVENTS

Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for these upcoming events!
Please note that the items with a P indicate that we will be seeking parent
volunteers to assist us.  If you are able to assist, please contact the
front office by calling 878-8534.

January 20  Martin Luther King Holiday – NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
AND STAFF
January 21  PTO Meeting - 5:30pm, Pizza and Drinks available
for purchase
 FAMILY WRITING NIGHT – 6:00pm, Media Center, Adrian Fogelin will be here!
Bookmobile 4:30-7:30pm
January 22  Award Assemblies (8:15am Grades 4&5, 9:00am Grades
2&3, 9:45am Grades K&1)
January 24  Spirit Day
January 28  Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit, 1:30–3:30pm, Chaires
East Parking Lot
January 31  Spirit Day

February 1  Leon County School District Education Expo, 10:00am-
3:00pm, Civic Center
February 3  SAC Meeting, 5:30pm, Media Center
February 4  Skate Night, 6:30-8:30pm, Skate World
   Bookmobile 4:30-7:30pm
February 5  Spring Pictures PRE-PAID
   Progress Alerts Go Home
February 7  Spirit Day
February 11  FCAT 4th Grade Writing Test
February 14  Spirit Day
February 16  Eagle Scout Flag Retirement Ceremony, 3:00pm,
American Legion Hall on Lake Ella
February 18  PTO Meeting, 5:30pm, “FAMILY MATH NIGHT” 6:00pm
February 21  Spirit Day
   Bookmobile 4:30-7:30pm
February 25  Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit, 1:30-3:30pm, Chaires
East Parking Lot
February 28  Spirit Day

GOOD NEWS:
SPIRIT DAY WINNERS for the week of January 10th were Mrs. Davis’
Kindergarten, Mrs. Burnett’s 1st grade, Mrs. Laney’s 2nd grade, Ms.
Miller’s 3rd grade, Ms. Dannemiller’s 4th grade and Mrs. Adam’s 5th grade.
CONGRATULATIONS!

You are on this list because you subscribed to the ChairesPTO Listserve.
However,if you wish to unsubscribe, please go to
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3 and
unsubscribe yourself. Thank you.