APALACHEE-PARENTS Archives

Apalachee Elementary School Parents

APALACHEE-PARENTS@LISTSERV.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Janice Mazza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 07:47:11 -0500
Media Newsletter February 28, 2005

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

March 2nd is the birthday of Dr. Seuss.  We celebrate it each year at Apalachee by
inviting all the classes to come to the media center to learn more about Dr. Suess
and to have birthday cake. As part of the Dr. Seuss celebration, the National
Education Association sponsors a program called “Read Across America” during
this time that promotes reading. You can find more information about this program
and fun activities to do at home at  http://www.nea.org/readacross/index.html.

Due to FCAT testing we will celebrate on Friday, March 4th. Students can come
dressed as their favorite Dr. Seuss character. Cat in the Hat will be in the media
center.  If you are interested in helping by making a cake or coming  in on Friday to
help cut and serve cake, let Ms. Mazza know at 921-0091 or email at
Find information about Dr. Suess at http://www.seussville.com/

Do you have lots of books sitting on a shelf that your child has read?  If so, take
advantage of the Book Swap shelf in the media center.  Students can bring in books
from home and swap them for books on the Book Swap shelf.  The books must be in
good condition and not torn or have scribbling on the pages.
The media center is open from 4:00-6:00 P.M. Moday – Thursday evening.  Please
stop by to check out books, do research, work on homework, and use computers for
projects.

Thank you for supporting our book fair.  The proceeds will be used to purchase
books for the media center.

You can access lots of great websites from our homepage
(www.apalachee.leon.k12.fl.us) including FCAT Explorer.
One great site is Grolier Online (http://go.grolier.com).  Check it out!  The user name
and password to access this site from home is “leonco”.
A great site for K-2 students is Star Fall (http://www.starfall.com).
Check out the Sunlink site!  It has good information for kids and parents. http://
www.sunlink.ucf.edu/parents/
Also, parents you can sign up for the Parent Listserve on our website.  Newsletters
that are sent home will also be sent to your personal e-mail.
If you have any questions about these or any other resources from on our
homepage, please contact Janice Mazza at 921-0091 or [log in to unmask]