JAMES S. RICKARDS HIGH SCHOOL

WEEKLY LISTSERV – Week of March 4th

cid:image002.jpg@01D8C8F9.1D76B380

Mr. Douglas Cook

Principal

Dear Parents, Guardians, and Students,

We have had a busy week here at JSRHS!!  We honored retired educator Mrs. Maggie Lewis-Butler.  Our new science building is named in her honor.  Mrs. Lewis-Butler was a dedicated Leon County Schools Science Educator and Board Member for many years.  We are thankful for her contributions to James S. Rickards High School, Leon County Schools, and the Tallahassee-Leon County Community!

Thank you to all of the community groups, university organizations, parents, students, faculty and staff for an amazing Black History Month Program last night.  The talent and culture on display was magnificent!  We are so fortunate to have such a talented school- community!!

Lastly, today we celebrated over 500 Honor Roll students with a luncheon!  Students enjoyed a delicious meal, danced the lunch period away and spent time with friends as a reward for their hard work and dedication to their education.  Students, we salute you!

As we enter the final week of the third nine weeks,  please encourage your students to remain focused on their goals and finish STRONG!

Expect great things from the Raiders!

Sincerely,

Mr. Douglas Cook, Principal

cid:image002.png@01D9CC65.507FB450

Dr. Deborah G. Barnes

Assistant Principal of Curriculum

Parents and Guardians,

We understand the challenges some of our students are experiencing in preparation for the upcoming standardized academic assessments.  As a result, to help our students to be better prepared,  we will continue to offer additional instructional resources and support outside of the regular school day to ensure the academic success of our students.  Students in 9th through 11th grade will be taking one or a variety of the following assessments: 9th Grade ELA Reading/Writing, 10th Grade ELA Reading/Writing, US History EOC, Biology EOC, Algebra 1 EOC, and Geometry EOC.  Rickards is now offering students an opportunity to attend or 21st CCLC Afterschool Program, Monday-Friday, 2:00-5:30 p.m. In addition, Rickards is also offering 13 different EOC/ELA camps to students who need assistance with test taking preparation and strategies, good study habits strategies and attendance intervention. Students are encouraged to attend our Saturday School from 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. If you have any questions about Saturday School, please e-mail Ms. Kerris Satchell at [log in to unmask].

End of the Third Nine-Weeks

The end of the third nine-weeks is Friday, March 8, 2024.  Students who have concerns or questions about their grades are encouraged to communicate with their teachers.  Report cards will be uploaded to FOCUS on Wednesday, March 27, 2024.

SAT and ACT Test Dates for 2023-2024

SAT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

March 9, 2024

February 23, 2024

May 4, 2024

April 19, 2024

June 1, 2024

May 16, 2024

ACT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

April 13, 2024

March 8, 2024

June 8, 2024

May 3, 2024

July 13, 2024

June 7, 2024

***Highlighted tests are held at Rickards***

cid:image007.jpg@01DA5F2C.77A431A0

Deborah G. Barnes, Ph.D.

Greatness awaits!

Dr. J. Williams

IB Coordinator

International Baccalaureate Program

To All IB Parents and Guardians:

Here are the phone numbers and email addresses where you can reach our IB Administrative Team:

Dr. Joe Williams, IB Coordinator (850-414-5036) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. E. Melissa Cooper, AP Coordinator and Assistant IB Coordinator (850-414-5005) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. Victoria Williams, IB Academic Dean (850-414-5597) [log in to unmask]

Congratulations to IB Seniors Navya Kommu and Laxmi McGuire for advancing to the finalist stage in the National Merit Scholarship competition!  We wish both these amazing young women the best of luck in the final round of the competition.

Congratulations to IB Junior Nishi Nandineni for being selected as a delegate to Florida Girls State!  We are proud of her and are sure she will represent us well in this prestigious summer program.

Current Draft of AP and IB Exam Chart Attached: Please see the attached most current draft of the combined AP and IB Exam Schedule.  Approved resolutions of IB Exam conflicts for individual students are highlighted on this chart.  If your IB student has a schedule conflict between any IB and AP Exams – or between any AP Exams and an EOC, FAST, or other mandatory statewide assessment – please notify both Mrs. E. Melissa Cooper and Dr. Williams by email as soon as possible so we can schedule your student for a Late AP Exam.  Late AP Exams are only offered through specific guidelines from Collegeboard and with permission from Mrs. E. Melissa Cooper, our AP Coordinator.

2023 IB Diplomas and Transcripts are in: The 2023 IB Diplomas and IB Transcripts have arrived from Cardiff, Wales, UK.  2023 IB graduates or their parents can pick them up from Dr. Williams in the front office at Rickards.  Please email or call ahead so Dr. Williams can leave your IB Diploma and/or IB Transcript at the front office for you, in case he is not available when you come to campus.

Congratulations to Rickards’ Dance Marathon for raising over $11K for the Children’s Miracle Network!

Bottle Rocket WINNERS!

Congratulations to Bryan Molina-Recinos and Mason Green!

cid:image007.png@01DA6B19.9A023000

cid:image010.png@01DA5B4A.6C0D4F10

Ms. J. Goodman

Testing Coordinator

Testing

Announcements

Please review the attached updated Spring Testing Schedule.

cid:image020.jpg@01DA6121.DDA034D0

Let’s Get Ready for the School Day SAT!

Who takes this test?  All 12th graders who have not met graduation requirements.  All 11th grade students. This test is free of charge.

The SAT will be given on school issued Chromebooks this year!

An SAT Preview and a full-length practice test are available in the Collegeboard’s new testing application, Bluebook. In order to access it, students will need their School Chromebook and a Collegeboard account.  Seniors will test on March 20 and Juniors will test on April 10.

Mrs. V. Williams

IB Academic Dean

Please see the attached most recent list of scholarships and information regarding the Alexander Boyd Memorial Scholarship.

Coach Hankerson

Athletic Director

Raiders Athletics

Congratulations to the Raiders Track Team for their performance last Saturday at the Jesse Forbes Invitational Track Meet.

Raiders Athletics-Weeks of March 4th and March 11th

Monday, March 4, 2024

Lady Raiders Baseball vs. JPII, 6:00pm

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Raiders Track & Field @ Chiles, 3:00am Freshman/Sophomore Meet

Raiders Tennis @ Madison, 3:30pm

Raiders Weightlifting @ Godby, 3:30pm

Raiders Baseball vs. Aucilla, 4:30pm VARSITY ONLY

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Raiders Baseball vs. Suwannee, 6:00pm

Thursday, March 7, 2024

Raiders Tennis @ Lincoln, 3:30pm

Raiders Weightlifting vs. Leon , 3:30pm

Lady Raiders Beach Volleyball vs. JPII, 4:00pm

Lady Raiders Flag Football vs. Lincoln, 5:30pm

Lady Raiders Softball vs. FAMU DRS, 6:00pmVarsity

Raiders Baseball vs. Jefferson County, 7:00pm Varsity

Friday, March 8, 2024

Lady Raiders Flag Football, TBD, Capital City Classic

Raiders Track & Field @ Godby, 3:00pm

Raiders JV Baseball @ Wakulla Christian, 5:00pm Varsity

Saturday, March 9, 2024

Lady Raiders Flag Football, TBD, Capital City Classic

Monday, March 11, 2024

Raiders Baseball @ Lincoln, JV 4:30pm / Varsity 7:00pm

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Raiders Baseball @ Arnold, 5:00pm VARSITY ONLY

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

NO EVENTS

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Lady Raiders Softball @ Hamilton County, 6:00pm Varsity

Friday, March 15, 2024

Lady Raiders Softball @ Raines, 6:00pmVarsity

Saturday, March 16, 2024

Raiders Track & Field @ Bob Hayes Invitational, Jacksonville

***If you would like to donate to Raiders Athletics, please contact Earl Hankerson, Athletic Director at [log in to unmask].

Encourage your students to be the best part of Raiders Athletics.

ONE NATION...RAIDER NATION!!!

IMPORTANT DATES

Title 1 Parent Testing Information Night

Thursday, March 7, 2024 – 5:30 PM

End of the Third Nine Weeks

Friday, March 8, 2024

SPRING BREAK

March 11-15, 2024

Teacher Planning Day

Monday, March 18, 2024

Report Cards

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

***AVID/IB Monthly FOCUS – Strategies for Academic Growth***

AVID Strategy – READING -  Students will make connections between texts, self and the world.  Students will navigate and comprehend rigorous texts.  Students will evaluate information from a variety of formats.   Students will organize and apply text-based learning.

IB LEARNER PROFILE FOCUS – PRINCIPLED – Students act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness and justice, and with respect for the dignity and rights of people everywhere.  Students take responsibility for our actions and their consequences.

cid:image003.jpg@01D9C6E9.06DEE1D0

https://getfortifyfl.com/