JAMES S. RICKARDS HIGH SCHOOL

WEEKLY LISTSERV – Week of February 5th

cid:image002.jpg@01D8C8F9.1D76B380

Mr. Douglas Cook

Principal

Dear Parents and Guardians,

Class rankings will be posted to transcripts on February 12th. Students will be able to view their class ranking on February 13, 2024, by requesting a printed copy of their academic history from their guidance counselor.

In honor of Black History, our students will have an opportunity to participate in our daily Black History Trivia questions. Students who have the correct answers, names will be placed in our daily drawing with a chance to win prizes.  This is an opportunity where all students can learn the rich history of African Americans, come together as one, and have fun while they learn.  Additionally, back by popular demand, is our Black History Essay and Poetry Contests. Prizes will be given to our First, Second, and Third place winners. The contests guidelines are available on our school website. Students who want to reveal their poetic talents are strongly encouraged to submit their original poem. Furthermore, our Chorus, and Golden Dolls Dancers will entertain us on February 29, 2024, at 5:30 p.m., Rickards’ Auditorium, with a variety of songs and performances. You don’t want to miss this EPIC Black History Celebration!  Our theme: “Black Success”. Please visit the school’s website and students can visit their Canvas announcements page for detailed information on BHM events!!

Sincerely,

Mr. Douglas Cook, Principal

cid:image002.png@01D9CC65.507FB450

Dr. Deborah G. Barnes

Assistant Principal of Curriculum

ATTENTION PARENTS, GUARDIANS, AND STUDENTS,

Interim Progress Reports will be uploaded to FOCUS on Wednesday, February 7, 2024.  If you have a concern, please reach out to your child’s teacher via email.  If you have further concerns, please contact the Guidance Secretary, Ms. Nathan to schedule a parent/teacher conference by calling 850-414-5500 or send an email to [log in to unmask].

SAT and ACT Test Dates for 2023-2024

SAT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

March 9, 2024

February 23, 2024

May 4, 2024

April 19, 2024

June 1, 2024

May 16, 2024

ACT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

February 10, 2024

January 5, 2024

April 13, 2024

March 8, 2024

June 8, 2024

May 3, 2024

July 13, 2024

June 7, 2024

***Highlighted tests are held at Rickards***

Deborah G. Barnes, Ph.D.

Greatness awaits!

Dr. J. Williams

IB Coordinator

International Baccalaureate Program

To All IB Parents and Guardians:

Here are the phone numbers and email addresses where you can reach our IB Administrative Team:

Dr. Joe Williams, IB Coordinator (850-414-5036) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. Melissa Cooper, AP Coordinator and Assistant IB Coordinator (850-414-5005) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. Victoria Williams, IB Academic Dean (850-414-5597) [log in to unmask]

Florida Boys State and Florida Girls State Applications due February 9th.

Please see the attached application information for Florida Girls State and Florida Boys State.  All qualified 11th-grade Rickards students may apply for Girls State or Boys State.  You do not have to be an IB student to apply.  Interested students should contact Dr. Williams for more details.

Completed applications for Girls State (with essay and letter of recommendation) should be sent to Dr. Williams at [log in to unmask] before February 7th so he can review them before official submission.  There is no limit on the number of girls from Rickards who can apply for Girls State, but applications do need to be reviewed by Dr. Williams before being officially submitted to our local Girls State Chairperson.

Completed applications for Boys State must be emailed to Dr. Williams at [log in to unmask] by 3 pm, February 9th, as each school is only allowed to nominate two students for Boys State, and Dr. Williams needs time to review applications before submitting the names of our two nominees to our local Boys State Chairman.

Shadowing for 8th grade students interested in joining our IB Program next year is underway.  Parents of 8th grade students who want their child to spend a day shadowing a 9th-grade Rickards IB student need to complete the attached IB Shadowing Form and contact Mrs. Williams, our IB Academic Dean, at 850-414-5597 or [log in to unmask] to schedule a shadowing

Ms. J. Goodman

Testing Coordinator

Testing

Announcements

PERT Testing

The PERT used to qualify for Dual Enrollment, will be offered on the days listed below. Dual Enrollment requires a 3.0 minimum GPA and completion of Algebra 2 in order to take a math through Dual Enrollment. The PERT test is accepted by TCC and FAMU. It is not accepted by FSU for Dual Enrollment. Students must sign up by emailing Mrs. Goodman at [log in to unmask] . The deadline to sign up is the Friday before the scheduled date. Bring your Chrome Book or personal computer fully charged.

Qualifying PERT Scores                       Testing Dates

Reading- 106                                                 Wednesday, January 17

Writing – 103                                                Wednesday, February 7

Math – 114                                                    Wednesday, March 20

                                                                         Wednesday, April 24

Please see the attached DRAFT Spring Testing Schedule and the attached National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) Letter.

Mrs. V. Williams

IB Academic Dean

Please see the updated attached list of scholarships.

Ms. J. Well

SAC Chair

Next SAC Meeting – Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Dr. P. Hall

Science Department Chair

Pre-IB chemistry students have been working on designing a rocket using a 2L plastic soda bottle and any other material they want (cardboard, Styrofoam, plastic, glue, 3d print, etc.) . The students were given two goals:  make the bottle more aerodynamic, by designing and constructing attachments to their bottles, or/and make their bottles look really cool. This project aimed to have students use engineering skills (having some fun) and experiencing a combustion reaction, as we will be chemically propelling the bottle rockets from the 3rd floor into the courtyard to see how far they can travel (when weather permits).

Please vote for your favorite bottle using the QR Code!   We will have category winners and an overall winner.  Another round of voting will be held in the near future.  The deadline to vote is Tuesday, February 6th by 5pm.

cid:4f2cd31d-f61b-4f98-98dd-f04de7eaca9f

Ms. K. A. Satchell

Mr. Earl Hankerson

Senior Sponsors

Grad Bash Update

FINAL PAYMENTS ARE DUE FEBRUARY 15, 2024!!!!!

Feel free to contact Coach Hankerson at [log in to unmask] to confirm your balance

Mr. Young

Mr. Woodson

Mrs G. Cooper

Raider Marching Band Staff

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfJjQngUqH0kY5ic4d0W-XYvuO1_h3rNyGAvPQycwCO36HMnQ/viewform

Coach Hankerson

Athletic Director

Raiders Athletics

Raiders Athletics Week of February 5 - February 10, 2024

Monday, February 5, 2024

NO EVENTS

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Raiders Soccer Regionals TBD

Raiders Tennis @ Suwannee, 3:30pm

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Raiders Football Signing Day, 9:00am

Lady Raiders Basketball vs. TBD, 7:00pm Varsity DISTRICT PLAYOFFS

Thursday, February 8, 2024

Raiders Tennis vs. North Florida Christian, 8:00am

Raiders Basketball vs. TBD, 7:00pm Varsity DISTRICT PLAYOFFS

Friday, February 9, 2024

Lady Raiders Basketball vs. TBD, 7:00pm Varsity DISTRICT PLAYOFFS

Saturday, February 10, 2024

Raiders Basketball vs. TBD, 7:00pm Varsity DISTRICT PLAYOFFS

***If you would like to donate to Raiders Athletics, please contact Earl Hankerson, Athletic Director at [log in to unmask].

Encourage your students to be the best part of Raiders Athletics.

ONE NATION...RAIDER NATION!!!

cid:image005.jpg@01DA505B.1971B7E0

cid:image004.jpg@01DA5047.F522F560

IMPORTANT DATES

Interim (Progress) Reports

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Presidents Day Districtwide Holiday

Monday, February 19, 2024

Black History Month Program

Thursday, February 29, 2024

End of the Third Nine Weeks

Friday, March 8, 2024

SPRING BREAK

March 11-15, 2024

Teacher Planning Day

Monday, March 18, 2024

***AVID/IB Monthly FOCUS – Strategies for Academic Growth***

AVID Strategy – organization -  Students are encourage to manage materials, time and themselves.  Students should organize planning and prioritizing school, work and social tasks.  Students should strategically and intentionally take responsibility for ones own learning.

IB LEARNER PROFILE FOCUS – COMMUNICATORS – We express ourselves confidently and creatively in more than one language and in many ways.  We collaborate effectively, listening carefully to the perspectives of other individuals and groups.

cid:image003.jpg@01D9C6E9.06DEE1D0

https://getfortifyfl.com/