Good morning, Wolves!

Although the weather created unique circumstances, we have had a great start to the second semester!  I love the energy our students, faculty, and staff have exhibited at the start of the semester and I am looking forward to a positive, productive year!

We have some exciting news through the first two weeks back at school.   6th grader Harper Smith won the Leon County Spelling Bee on January 11th.  This is the second year in a row a Swift Creek student has won the District Spelling Bee and we look forward to Harper having continued success over the next few years!  On Friday, January 12th, Leon County Schools recognized students throughout the district who exemplify the characteristics of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.   Congratulations to Swift Creek 8th graders Layla Arango and Israel Herring for being recognized at this event!  Last week, Dr. Heather Burch recognized 8th grade student Temperance Harrell with our quarterly TOP Award.  This award, which has been sponsored by Burch Orthodontics for over 15 years, recognizes one 8th grade student who shows care for themselves, their peers, and their school community.  Congratulations, Temperance!  Finally, our band and orchestra students were surprised with a guest performance by the Harlem String Quartet on 1/18.

This year, our PTSO is hosting a Valentine’s Day dance on February 9th from 4:30-7:00 in the Cafeteria.  Ticket prices will be staggered, similar to our Winter Dance, with tickets going on sale next week.  A list serv will be sent later this week with more specifics regarding the dance.  Beginning next week, our 7th grade Civics classes will be attending a Classroom to Courtroom field trip to the state capitol.  Our afterschool activities, including our late Winter sports, are in full swing this nine weeks.  Please review our school website calendar for specific events, dates, and times.

Although we are only halfway through the school year, we are already planning for the 2024-2025 school year.  Bridge shadowing invitations have been sent to all eligible 5th graders who are zoned Swift Creek that meet the qualifications for this program.  Those shadowing days are 2/6, 2/7, and 2/8.  We will also have a Bridge to AP Parent Night on Tuesday, 2/20, at 6:00 PM in our Cafeteria.  In the coming months, you will also hear more information regarding our current 6th and 7th grade parent night, as well as course selection for the 2024-25 school year.

FortifyFl is the anonymous reporting application created and monitored by the Florida Department of Education and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for students, staff, parents and other visitors to report suspicious activity on campus, or off campus activity that has the potential to cause a threat on campus. In addition to this link, https://getfortifyfl.com/Tip.html ,You can also submit a tip through the link on the district website, school website, or Fortifyfl tile on Classlink.  We encourage students  to “See Something, Say Something.”  We do not want to discourage anyone from reporting what they believe is a legitimate threat. We do however take false reporting very seriously. In accordance with Florida law, if after an investigation it is determined that the student knowing submitted a false tip, they could face criminal penalties.