JAMES S. RICKARDS HIGH SCHOOL

WEEKLY LISTSERV

for the Weeks of 11/20/2023 and 11/27/23, posted 11/17/2023

[cid:image002.jpg@01D8C8F9.1D76B380]

Mr. Douglas Cook

Principal

Dear Parents and Guardians,

In these most difficult and challenging times, often, we see dedicated and tireless individuals going above and beyond to make sure great things continue to happen in our school. Let me assure you, as the proud Principal at James S. Rickards High School, your efforts do not go unnoticed.

Most importantly, we are thankful for the parents who have kept the confidence, faith, and trust in us.  They continue to share their most valuable possession with us and—in most cases— work hard and advocate to be a partner in their children’s education, safety and well-being. For this, you are greatly appreciated, and we are ever so thankful.

I would like to wish all of you and your families a happy, healthy, and relaxing Thanksgiving Holiday!

[cid:image006.jpg@01DA16DA.A98B9630]
***** Please note our site will not receive mail during the week of November 20th – 24th.*****

Sincerely,

Mr. Douglas Cook, Principal
[cid:image002.png@01D9CC65.507FB450]

Deborah Barnes, Ph.D.

Assistant Principal of Curriculum
ATTENTION PARENTS, GUARDIANS, AND STUDENTS,

Interim Reports for the Second Quarter are now available for view in Parents and Students FOCUS.  If you have a concern, please reach out to your child’s teacher via email<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.leonschools.net%2fdomain%2f5308&c=E,1,0_Z2x6vUjo_hFlN27bA5WO_uJ0wYbTAe3SbP47migcvXxsuBWBOpv0glZNZepxA2s-aL5i6tK_8cGWIr1yeJtWM_jyzEkvQK7zdUlY0uwrYFlP5p&typo=1>.  If you have further concerns, please contact the Guidance Secretary, Ms. Nathan to schedule a parent/teacher conference by calling 850-414-5500<tel:850-414-5500> or send an email to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Below is the 2023-24 First Semester Exam Schedule.  Exams will be administered December 14th-19th.  Please note there are no early release days.

Thursday, December 14th and Friday, December 15th (if needed)
7th Period Exam
Friday, December 15th
1st period class: 7:30-8:20
1st period exam: 8:25-10:15
2nd  period class: 10:20-11:15
Lunch: 11:15-11:55
2nd  period exam: 12:00-1:50

Monday, December 18th
3rd  period class: 7:30-8:20
3rd  period exam: 8:25-10:15
4th  period class: 10:20-11:15
Lunch: 11:15-11:55
4th  period exam: 12:00-1:50

Tuesday, December 19th
5th period class: 7:30-8:20
5th period exam: 8:25-10:15
6th period class: 10:20-11:15
Lunch: 11:15-11:55
6th period exam: 12:00-1:50

SAT and ACT Test Dates for 2023-2024

SAT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

December 2, 2023

November 2, 2023

March 9, 2024

February 23, 2024

May 4, 2024

April 19, 2024

June 1, 2024

May 16, 2024

ACT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

December 9, 2023

November 3, 2023

February 10, 2024

January 5, 2024

April 13, 2024

March 8, 2024

June 8, 2024

May 3, 2024

July 13, 2024

June 7, 2024

***Highlighted tests are held at Rickards***

Deborah G. Barnes, Ph.D.

Greatness awaits!

Ms. Terraca Jones

Guidance Department Chair

Please see the attached list of scholarships!  Contact Mrs. V. Williams at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> if you have questions.

Dr. J. Williams

IB Coordinator

International Baccalaureate Program

To All IB Parents and Guardians:

We just completed our first nine weeks and  look forward to a successful rest of the school year.  We appreciate your cooperation and participation in your child’s education as we strive to continue and build upon the achievements of our IB Program.

Our entire IB Administrative Team offices are still in the main administration building.  Here are our phone numbers and email addresses where you can reach us:

Dr. Joe Williams, IB Coordinator (850-414-5036) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Mrs. Melissa Cooper, AP Coordinator and Assistant IB Coordinator (850-414-5005) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Mrs. Victoria Williams, IB Academic Dean (850-414-5597) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

May 2022 IB Exam Session Highlights: Our 2022-2023 IB seniors and juniors did well this past year in their overall IB Exam results.  40 out of 66 (61%) of our IB Diploma Candidates (Class of 2023 IB Diploma Program Seniors) earned an IB Diploma.  Our overall IB Exam pass rate (4 or higher out of a possible 7) for all 124 students who took IB Exams was even better, at 71%.  The average points earned by those passing the diploma was 30 out of a possible 45 points (24 is the minimum passing score), and the average grade obtained by candidates who passed the diploma was 4.69 points out of a possible 7. The highest point total earned was 39.

2023 IB Diplomas and Transcripts are in: The 2023 IB Diplomas and IB Transcripts have arrived from Cardiff, Wales, UK.  2023 IB graduates or their parents can pick them up from Dr. Williams in the front office at Rickards.  Please email or call ahead so Dr. Williams can leave your IB Diploma and/or IB Transcript at the front office for you, in case he is not available when you come to campus.

Mrs. J. Goodman

Testing Coordinator
[cid:image011.png@01DA1954.172F3D10]2023 Winter Testing Schedule
Please note dates are subject to change.

Date
Assessment
December 5
Florida Civic Literacy Exam
This test is for students enrolled in US and AP Government.
December 6
Group A
FAST ELA Reading Retakes
This test is for Juniors and Seniors needing to meet the Reading requirement for graduation.
December 7
Group B
FAST ELA Reading Retakes
This test is for Juniors and Seniors needing to meet the Reading requirement for graduation.
December 11
Group A
 BEST Algebra1 EOC Retakes
This test is a graduation requirement
December 12
Group B
 Best Algebra1 EOC
This test is a graduation requirement.

UPCOMING TESTING:  PERT TESTING, Tuesday, November 28th  – This test is used to qualify for Dual Enrollment at TCC and FAMU.  Students must sign up by emailing Mrs. Goodman at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.  The deadline to sign up is the Friday before the scheduled test date.

Mr. Hankerson

Senior Sponsor
GRAD BASH SENIOR TRIP DEADLINE QUICKLY APPROACHING!!!! 80 SLOTS NEEDED FOR THE OVERNIGHT TRIP!!!
TOTAL COST $475 - Submit the $175 NON-REFUNDABLE Grad Bash Deposit to Coach Hankerson. For all details, please contact Coach Hankerson at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.
THE DEADLINE TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO FRIDAY, DECEMBER 1ST
Grad Bash Option A $475 April 18-19th includes:
Transportation (Astro Travel & Tours)
Hotel (Embassy Suites)
Universal Volcano Bay
St. Johns River Boat Cruise to include Full Course Meal
Florida Mall
Universal Islands of Adventure
Universal Studios
​*THERE IS A 100 PERSON MINUMUM NEEDED TO ENSURE THIS TRIP
SHOULD THE 100 PERSON MINIMUM NOT BE MET, THE TRIP WILL DEFAULT TO THE DAY TRIP.​​​​

Grad Bash Option B $250 April 19th includes:
Transportation (Astro Travel & Tours)
Universal Islands of Adventure
Universal Studios

Dr. L. Ross

Reading Coach

Mrs. A. Mitchell

Math Coach

COACHES’ CORNER BOOTCAMP
UPCOMING BOOTCAMP:  December 2nd -  8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Media Center
Bootcamp Objectives:

  *   Graduation Requirement Preparation
  *   FSA/BEST Algebra 1 EOC
  *   ELA FSA/FAST

***BREAKFAST AND SNACKS PROVIDED***

Ms. K. Satchell

Title 1 Compliance
The Math for Cooking

Application of math skills is important to academic success! Students who apply math skills are better prepared to master higher math concepts. The Math of Cooking is a workshop provided to Title I parents and families to emphasize the importance of real-world math and engagement in activities that create family time! This session will address essential math and life skills. We hope that you will enjoy holiday music, cooking with math, and engaging with our host Lanetra Bennett, WCTV News Anchor and Celebrity Chef - Chef Leon Brunson!

The event will be held at Amos P. Godby High School, Thursday, December 14, 2023, at 6PM.

[cid:image015.png@01DA1954.172F3D10]

Dr. P. Hall

Science Department Chair
Science Olympiad will be competing in a competition over the break- Builders will be in the Gym on November 25th at 8am videoing their builds to submit for the virtual Boyceville competition.

Science Olympiad Hoodies are on sale from Dr. Hall for $40- and we will be customizing them on Dec. 5th and 12th so if you want your name on them plan to be in 1922 between 2-4pm.

Over the past few months, we have spotlighted all of the science teachers and have decided for the month of November to do Knowledge November. Here are some interesting Science tidbits of knowledge:
When you are born you have 270 bones in the human body, but as an adult you have 206 since most of them fuse together as you get older.

After the break:
Mrs. Dobb's Anatomy classes are still working on their skeleton t-shirts, so they need to remember to bring these to class every Tuesday and Thursday. They will wear their completed projects on December 12th around campus.

BRIDGING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE COMPUTER LITERACY WORKSHOP

[cid:image008.jpg@01DA1713.07E16380]

This workshop is focused on assisting students and parents in acquiring basic computer skills, learning about safe internet usage and learning employability  skills.

To sign up, use this link:  https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fforms.office.com%2fr%2fJ62wXUKxhi&c=E,1,GzYj8bPjc05bbP-uECLnRgXlC2gKV1fXtYSfKQQTZYqL-jsMA1uoag8l3Ci1t9kGgljNZU7znr75pcoAH4kARmO0_b1f68jiZ7attTkL48UY&typo=1

Questions?  Email Mrs. Cooper at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or call the school, 850-414-5500, ext. 5005.

Mr. Earl Hankerson

Athletic Director

Raiders Athletics Week of November 20-December 1, 2023

Friday, November 24, 2023

Lady Raiders Basketball @ Thanksgiving Classic, Atlanta, GA

Saturday, November 25, 2023

Lady Raiders Basketball @ Thanksgiving Classic, Atlanta, GA

Raiders Basketball @ Andrew Jackson Classic, Jacksonville, FL

Monday, November 27, 2023
Lady Raiders JV Soccer vs. Wakulla, 5:00pm

Tuesday, November 28, 2023
Lady Raiders Soccer vs. Lincoln, 5:00pm ***1st Home Game
Lady Raiders Basketball @ Munroe, 6:00pm JV / 7:30pm Varsity
Middle School Baseball, Fairview vs. Raa, 6:30pm

Wednesday, November 29, 2023
Raiders JV Soccer vs. Leon. 5:00pm
Raiders Soccer vs. JPII, 7:00pm

Thursday, November 30, 2023
Lady Raiders Weightlifting vs. Godby, 2:45pm
Lady Raiders Soccer vs. Wakulla, 5:00pm

Friday, December 1, 2023

Raiders Basketball vs. Crossroad Academy, 6:00pm JV / 7:30pm Varsity

***If you would like to donate to Raiders Athletics, please contact Earl Hankerson, Athletic Director at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Encourage your students to be the best part of Raiders Athletics.

ONE NATION...RAIDER NATION!!!

***AVID/IB Monthly FOCUS – Strategies for Academic Growth***

AVID Stragegy – Writing to Learn -  This strategy helps students think deeply about a text by activating background knowledge about a text, recording thinking while reading a text, and extending thinking about what was read.

IB LEARNER PROFILE FOCUS – INQUIRERS nurture curiosity, develop skills for inquiry and research. They know how to learn independently and with others. They learn with enthusiasm and sustain a love of learning throughout life.

Please see the attached flyers regarding Thanksgiving food giveaways happening today and tomorrow and the fall yearbook flyer!!

[cid:image003.jpg@01D9C6E9.06DEE1D0]
https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fgetfortifyfl.com%2f&c=E,1,RQWTxcjWIxx5VfzBtv6wv-rddub5DndeaunFa12BL1F1dpbV0S95BK4Oy9-6mxAjjT-vuFh6RvxotkJjbJQG4nNp0LTo7u4Y8k7kdQPDB81FbYiMbg,,&typo=1<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fgetfortifyfl.com%2f&c=E,1,KSijpDm-vbPx4ozd2CWLeN9auC01S9_7lr2CodBs3Yxdc4Q04J4SCTrnU8LxoFiih4V-88HJ3kyE2rdNyUs14gH5Y1gvhwmGDqk764B7e6rd6Vrn&typo=1&ancr_add=1>

[cid:image017.jpg@01DA1954.172F3D10]<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2ftips.anonymousalerts.com%2fleoncountyschools%2f&c=E,1,hSPjLvDR8-ujGHs3olrfWLlOofMmOitwUTGXpabY4t44k554pw3FNdEJrgLTKd4ixpxts3xRfg98yiziQmaUzHTrFFZTXO8dUuJlzmZ1yqsNBBaGWpwbcHBcmAdq&typo=1>