JAMES S. RICKARDS HIGH SCHOOL

WEEKLY LISTSERV

for the Week of 10/30/2023, posted 10/27/2023

cid:image002.jpg@01D8C8F9.1D76B380

Mr. Douglas Cook

Principal

Parents and Guardians,

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=2310&L=RICKARDS-PARENTS&E=base64&P=60284876&B=--_017_BN7PR06MB389023C4DBEBC36E39A52F0CA5DCABN7PR06MB3890namp_&T=image%2Fjpeg;%20name=%22image005.jpg%22&N=image005.jpg

Teacher of the Year

Mrs. Genise Cooper

English/Language Arts Department Chair

cid:image008.jpg@01DA0838.E2CAE730

Mr. Douglas Cook, Principal

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=2310&L=RICKARDS-PARENTS&E=base64&P=60238475&B=--_017_BN7PR06MB389023C4DBEBC36E39A52F0CA5DCABN7PR06MB3890namp_&T=image%2Fpng;%20name=%22image002.png%22&N=image002.png

Deborah Barnes, Ph.D.

Assistant Principal of Curriculum

ATTENTION PARENTS, GUARDIANS, AND STUDENTS,

Registration is open for the City of Tallahassee Parks and Recreation Department’s youth winter sports.  Please visit our website at www.talgov.com/parks for program details including locations, registration fees and how to register.  The deadline to register is TODAY If you have any questions or need assistance with registration, please call 850-891-3866.

Basketball Lil’ Hoopsters

Coed program aimed to teach basketball fundamentals through 6 weekly clinics. Limited to the first 60 players in each age group to register.

Ages:              4-5 – Shooting Stars

                        6-7 – Rising Stars

Basketball League

Ages:              8-10 – Junior Coed and Junior Girls

                        11-13 – Intermediate Coed and Intermediate Girls

                        14-17 – Senior Coed and Senior Girls

Soccer League

Ages:              Coed - 4-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-13, 14-17

                        All Girls - 7-8, 9-10, 11-13, 14-17

SAT and ACT Test Dates for 2023-2024

SAT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

November 4, 2023

October 5, 2023

December 2, 2023

November 2, 2023

March 9, 2024

February 23, 2024

May 4, 2024

April 19, 2024

June 1, 2024

May 16, 2024

ACT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

December 9, 2023

November 3, 2023

February 10, 2024

January 5, 2024

April 13, 2024

March 8, 2024

June 8, 2024

May 3, 2024

July 13, 2024

June 7, 2024

***Highlighted tests are held at Rickards***

Deborah G. Barnes, Ph.D.

Greatness awaits!

Ms. Terraca Jones

Guidance Department Chair

Please see the attached flyer from our Leon County Schools, Rickards High School Career Advisor, Mrs. Ingram.  Students are able to schedule an appointment with her to discuss their individual needs.

Please see the attached list of scholarships!  Contact Mrs. V. Williams at [log in to unmask] if you have questions.

Q1 Report cards are available to view on the FOCUS Parent Portal.

image004.jpg@01DA071FPlease follow these steps in order to view your student’s report card:

  1. Log in to the Parent Portal.
  2. Select the tab that says “Reports” in the box.
  3. There will be an option that says “Report Card”.
  4. Please be sure you select the report dated 10/25.

CORE CLASS SEMESTER EXAM EXEMPTION SURVEY

Please respond to the survey below regarding a proposed change to the core class semester exam exemption policy.  Survey will close on Monday at 3 P.M.

https://forms.office.com/r/YkXKULLMZN

Dr. J. Williams

IB Coordinator

International Baccalaureate Program

To All IB Parents and Guardians:

We just completed our first nine weeks and  look forward to a successful rest of the school year.  We appreciate your cooperation and participation in your child’s education as we strive to continue and build upon the achievements of our IB Program.

Our entire IB Administrative Team offices are still in the main administration building.  Here are our phone numbers and email addresses where you can reach us:

Dr. Joe Williams, IB Coordinator (850-414-5036) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. Melissa Cooper, AP Coordinator and Assistant IB Coordinator (850-414-5005) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. Victoria Williams, IB Academic Dean (850-414-5597) [log in to unmask]

Congratulations to IB senior Sarayu Vanga, who has been named a semifinalist in the 2023-2024 Coca Cola Scholars Program!  She is one of only two high school students in Tallahassee who will advance to the next stage of the competition, and we wish her continued success in the next round of the selection process.

May 2022 IB Exam Session Highlights: Our 2022-2023 IB seniors and juniors did well this past year in their overall IB Exam results.  40 out of 66 (61%) of our IB Diploma Candidates (Class of 2023 IB Diploma Program Seniors) earned an IB Diploma.  Our overall IB Exam pass rate (4 or higher out of a possible 7) for all 124 students who took IB Exams was even better, at 71%.  The average points earned by those passing the diploma was 30 out of a possible 45 points (24 is the minimum passing score), and the average grade obtained by candidates who passed the diploma was 4.69 points out of a possible 7. The highest point total earned was 39.

2023 IB Diplomas and Transcripts are in: The 2023 IB Diplomas and IB Transcripts have arrived from Cardiff, Wales, UK.  2023 IB graduates or their parents can pick them up from Dr. Williams in the front office at Rickards.  Please email or call ahead so Dr. Williams can leave your IB Diploma and/or IB Transcript at the front office for you, in case he is not available when you come to campus.

Mrs. J. Goodman

Testing Coordinator

UPCOMING TESTING:  PERT TESTING, Tuesday, October 31st and Tuesday, November 28th  – This test is used to qualify for Dual Enrollment at TCC and FAMU.  Students must sign up by emailing Mrs. Goodman at [log in to unmask].  The deadline to sign up is the Friday before the scheduled test date.

Ms. K. Satchell

Title 1 Compliance

21st Century Coordinator

Senior Sponsor

The Leon County Schools’ Title I Office is administering the Parent and Family Engagement Survey for Fall 2023. The survey allows James S. Rickards High School and our district’s Title I Office to understand the aspects of the parent/family and school relationship. The information gathered will be used to guide continual improvement within our Title I schools to better serve our students and their families.

You may complete the survey by paper, which was sent home on Monday, October 9, 2023 or by using the links below:

Survey window closes on Friday, November 3, 2023.

Thank you for taking time to complete the survey!!

21st Century

Parents and guardians,

Are you are looking for a safe and academic driven space for your student? Look no further, the Rickards High School 21st Century Community Learning Center is the place for you. We offer academic support in English and mathematics and our students are currently focused on American Government through Project Based Learning. We have educational and physical vendors at least once per week to keep our students mentally and physically prepared.

Please see the attached application.  Return all applications to Ms. K. A. Satchell [log in to unmask] or Mr. W. Gilmore, [log in to unmask].  If you have questions or concerns please call Ms. Satchell , 850-414-5505

Thank you,

Ms. K. A. Satchell

Class of 2024

Parents and students,

Your second installment of $30 for senior fees will be due on October 31, 2023.  If you have questions or concerns, please contact Ms. Satchell, [log in to unmask].

Thank you,

Senior Sponsors

Dr. L. Ross

Reading Coach

Mrs. A. Mitchell

Math Coach

COACHES’ CORNER BOOTCAMP

UPCOMING BOOTCAMP:  November 4th  8 AM – 12 PM

Media Center

Bootcamp Objectives:

  • Graduation Requirement Preparation
  • FSA/BEST Algebra 1 EOC
  • ELA FSA/FAST

***BREAKFAST AND SNACKS PROVIDED***

Dr. P. Hall

Science Department Chair

Science Olympiad- Will be competing virtually in our virtual invitational this Tuesday and Thursday from 2-4 in Building 19. This competition will help us to finalize teams as the students have had 2 previous tournaments. It will also help us decide who we invite to either the Bull SO in Tampa or the Georgia Tech SO in Atlanta, which will be in person tournaments.

Key Club is selling tickets ($3) at parent pickup this past week and on Monday so that students can wear costumes on Tuesday, October 31st and the Science Department is definitely participating.

Get to know the science teachers- Science Teacher Spotlight: Dr. Alamie-omu Ebenezer Nonju or known to students and staff as Dr. A is in his first year as a teacher at Rickards but was a long-term substitute last year. He is currently teaching Earth Space Science. He has a M.B.B.S. from the University of Port Harcourt medical and dental school in Nigeria and is currently working on a Ph.D. in clinical psychology.  While in school he was the editor in chief of the River State Resident Magazine.  Dr. A moved to the U.S. in 2016.  Dr. A does not have any pets but does have a daughter and a son.  He enjoys reading, writing, debating, singing and boxing.

Building 19 might be going through a transformation on Tuesday- Happy Halloween from Hogwarts!

Ms. Fields' Environmental Science Classes are playing with grass again and looking at decomposition rates.

Dr. Hall's IB and AP Biology classes will be working on enzyme labs working with potatoes, apples and liver and looking at how pH and temperature affect enzymes.

Ms. McCloud's Earth Space Classes are creating a Geologic Time Scale Poster next week. Students will learn about the different eras (eons, periods, epoch), as well as significant events that took place on Earth during each era.

Ms. Mendoza's Physical Science Classes will be starting one of their most fun projects/activities of the year. They will be starting to create their Periodic Table Rap/Song.  Following a rubric students must create a unique rap/song about the periodic table.  She has had students in the past put the raps to beats of other songs or even create their own beats.

Mrs. Madden

SGA Sponsor

Thank you for a successful and fun Homecoming Week!!  To conclude the week, please come out tonight to see the 2023 Homecoming Court crowned!

Friday, October 27, 2023

Raiders Football vs. Arnold, 7:00 pm

https://gofan.co/event/1080919?schoolId=FL11637

Mr. Earl Hankerson

Athletic Director

Congratulations to the Bowling and Golf Teams for outstanding performances this week!

A Big Congratulations to the Raider Swim Team - - They are headed to State Competition!!

***PARKING FOR ATHLETICS EVENTS​​​***

Raiders Athletics Parking Availability

 We appreciate your support of Raiders Athletics! In order to improve the Fan Experience on Campus. Listed below is our parking availability. Enjoy the event. GO RAIDERS!!!

Athletic Complex Parking

65 spaces, Jim Lee Rd. Entrance (Spaces 52-63 & 78-88 will remain unoccupied for Emergency Vehicles access. Spaces 64-77 are ADA ONLY)

Student Parking - 88 spaces, Paul Russell Rd. Entrance

Faculty Parking - 65 spaces, Paul Russell Rd. Entrance

Bus Ramp Parking - 40 spaces, Paul Russell Rd. Entrance

Charter Bus Parking - 2 spaces between the Art Building and 24 Building, Paul Russell Rd. Entrance

 Front Office to the Auditorium Parking - 44 spaces, Jim Lee Rd. Entrance

***No parking is allowed alongside of Jim Lee Rd.***

***No parking is allowed alongside of Paul Russell Rd.***

 ***Student Pickup and Dropoff for events will be

at Oak Tree Circle, Jim Lee Rd Entrance

or

Faculty Blacktop Parking, Paul Russell Rd Entrance***

(Parents and Students please coordinate)

Please see this link for Raiders Athletics opportunities to support our athletics programs and Raiders Athletics Participation Packet!

Encourage your students to be the best part of Raiders Athletics.

ONE NATION...RAIDER NATION!!!

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=2310&L=RICKARDS-PARENTS&E=base64&P=60222871&B=--_017_BN7PR06MB389023C4DBEBC36E39A52F0CA5DCABN7PR06MB3890namp_&T=image%2Fjpeg;%20name=%22image003.jpg%22&N=image003.jpg

https://getfortifyfl.com/