October 5, 2023

Dear Parents and Community Members,

I feel that it is important to provide you with information regarding an incident that occurred this afternoon at our school. Please know that the safety and well-being of our students and staff are our top priorities, and we are committed to transparency in sharing this information with our school community.

This afternoon, a situation arose involving a third-grade student who was found with a weapon in his bookbag on our campus. We want to emphasize that the student did not bring the weapon to school with any intention to harm anyone, and they did not feel unsafe at school. The incident was handled discreetly and swiftly in a matter of minutes.

In the face of this unexpected situation, we are incredibly proud of our students for their quick and responsible actions. When the student confided in their peers about the weapon, one of our amazing students immediately reported it to their classroom teacher. This demonstrates the strength of character within our student body, and we commend them for their courage and responsibility. It also is a demonstration of the consistent values that our parents work to instill in your children.

We also want to express our heartfelt appreciation to the teacher who remained calm and handled this issue with the utmost care and concern for the well-being of our students and staff. Her dedication to her students’ safety and emotional well-being is greatly valued.

Today, we were faced with an unprecedented situation, but thanks to our dedicated training and the strength of our close-knit community, our students remained safe. We consistently teach our students the importance of "saying something when they see something," and they acted upon this principle admirably.

In the coming days, we will be working closely with our Administrative team and Counseling staff to review and reinforce these expectations with our students. Ensuring the safety and well-being of our students remains our top priority, and we will provide the necessary support.

If any students express concerns or distress regarding this incident, please rest assured that we are here to offer the support and resources they may need to cope.

We also wish to extend our gratitude to the Tallahassee Police Department, as well as the Leon County Schools Office of Safety and Security, under the capable leadership of Chief Jimmy Williams. Their immediate response and support were crucial in managing this situation effectively.

Additionally, we want to thank District 3 School Board Member Darryl Jones and Director of Elementary Schools Anicia Robinson for their concern and for taking the time to check on the well-being of our students and staff.

We understand that incidents like these can be unsettling, but we want to assure you that the safety and security of our students and staff remains our utmost priority. We appreciate your continued support and understanding as we work together to maintain a secure and nurturing environment for all.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at (850)488-3124 or at [log in to unmask]

Sincerely,

Jasmine Canady Smith                                                                                                                        Principal

[cid:099d9788-97d1-47f5-a87d-a8d8fdf3a544]

[cid:6b4c1078-45c5-4fc6-b305-d86be92c388f]
https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fgetfortifyfl.com%2f&c=E,1,eQF4lGXsFyOxh8YUda-GD1xZjcE-IEPZLOCr1u8fhMWyx0t_LA2WAcGt2lMVxvmUaB4zTn2f_W63Z5uTGaElHAEpOPl72gc8PZQKOAwOgzLV99GiW1suaHhO0Q,,&typo=1