Please see the message below from Superintendent Hanna.

To LCS parents and school communities—

As Americans living in the melting pot of the world, nearly all of us have a connection to the global community, as well as to past and current events happening around the world. These connections may cause us to feel strongly one way or the other with regard to global conflicts, such as the ones presently occurring in the Middle East, Ukraine, and elsewhere. Our students are witnessing the division on all sides, and of course have their own opinions and reflections.

However, now is not the time to stir those divisions or bring them to school campuses as we continue our most important mission of not only keeping our students safe, but making them feel safe. Therefore, our District policy will continue to always be to remain vigilant in not tolerating hate speech or threats of violence of any kind. We call on everyone to join us in encouraging unity and peace, but to also urge caution, in order to highlight the serious consequences of poor decision-making based upon hateful rhetoric, violence, or threats of violence. As we promote school safety and the consequences of school violence, or the threat of school violence, we are asking parents to help us reinforce this message, and to use it as a teachable moment at home.

Our students—our children—are truly the best hope we have for a peaceful future. But they are looking to us to model unity, peace, and to provide a safe and peaceful environment for all. Thank you for helping to make our schools a safe place to learn.

Sincerely,

Rocky Hanna