JAMES S. RICKARDS HIGH SCHOOL

WEEKLY LISTSERV

for the Week of 10/2/2023, posted 9/29/2023

[cid:image002.jpg@01D8C8F9.1D76B380]

Mr. Douglas Cook

Principal
Parents and Guardians,

Please plan to join us for our Freshman Parent Night!

[cid:image004.jpg@01D9F2DB.A287AAE0]

Mr. Douglas Cook, Principal
[cid:image002.png@01D9CC65.507FB450]

Deborah Barnes, Ph.D.

Assistant Principal of Curriculum

ATTENTION PARENTS, GUARDIANS, AND STUDENTS,

The first quarter ends two weeks from today! Please check in with your student(s) to be sure they are on track to finish the semester strong!!  Please make plans to join us for our Parent Nights/Grade Level Informational Meetings.  All meetings will begin at 6:00 p.m. in the cafeteria.  The dates for the remaining Parent Nights are below:

***Annual Title 1 Parent Nights***

Freshman Parent Night – 6 PM

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Sophomore/Junior Parent Night – 6 PM

Wednesday, October  18, 2023

SAT and ACT Test Dates for 2023-2024

SAT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

October 7, 2023

September 26, 2023 (Late Registration)

November 4, 2023

October 5, 2023

December 2, 2023

November 2, 2023

March 9, 2024

February 23, 2024

May 4, 2024

April 19, 2024

June 1, 2024

May 16, 2024

ACT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

October 28, 2023

September 22, 2023

December 9, 2023

November 3, 2023

February 10, 2024

January 5, 2024

April 13, 2024

March 8, 2024

June 8, 2024

May 3, 2024

July 13, 2024

June 7, 2024

***Highlighted tests are held at Rickards***

Deborah G. Barnes, Ph.D.

Greatness awaits!

Ms. Terraca Jones

Guidance Department Chair
Leon Works Junior Apprentice Program
Earn a paycheck while gaining hands-on experience in a skilled career field!
Now accepting applications from all Leon County High School Juniors and Seniors attending a Charter, Private, Public or LCS Virtual School!

The Leon Works Junior Apprenticeship Program is an opportunity for Leon County high school juniors/seniors to prepare for a skilled career – those jobs requiring more than a high school diploma, but less than a four-year degree. By the year 2026, over 70,000 skilled jobs will be available in the Leon County area. To prepare students to fill these jobs, Leon County Government is partnering with CareerSource Capital Region and Leon County Schools to provide students with job readiness training and work experience!
For one semester, selected students will work in a Leon County department as a Junior Apprentice shadowing and assisting a County staff member in a skilled career field that the student is interested in pursuing. Junior Apprentices will also complete CareerSource Capital Region’s LEAP training to prepare them for entering the workforce after graduation. In addition to gaining valuable work experience and training, Junior Apprentices earn an hourly salary and elective credit toward their high school diploma. Please see the directions and website below.

Leon Works Junior Apprenticeship website: https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fcms.leoncountyfl.gov%2fjrapprentice%2f&c=E,1,xcLfZEgFnc07v8Xzjr2jMbiSPZI6jmqOaP1E2zUta_CYs42V5cVZEnsZfB8CPC3eWkfSen9QqAixi17laVjlO_RQcPhMEdD5LZ9dAwDeWg,,&typo=1<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fcms.leoncountyfl.gov%2fjrapprentice%2f&c=E,1,1Y4bT7122Nf2DcRg6tVj8JAzjviuacK3fiyaG0blFNtLLqXde2s-NWpiqfiRGusqQB1pjXpoSeV0rN7MUIydmkT2DF3oE2cRzVFG-6O-RpUQssLQdy76KsE,&typo=1>

Electronic Application link: Leon Works Junior Apprentice Application<https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/611bff3568594a69a9e24e4a48ea7b23>

Although applications are accepted year-round there are cutoff dates for each semester to ensure adequate time for application review, interviewing and paperwork processing. Application deadline for this upcoming Spring semester is October 31st.

Please Note:  All applications will be verified for eligibility and accuracy by the School Counselor to be accepted.

Mrs. M. Combs

School Social Worker

Mr. R. Sea

Dean of Students
Please see the attached flyers for two programs at our school to assist students.
Rickards L.I.F.E. Group Meaningful Conversations – Encouraging Meaningful Lives
Girl’s Circle at the Oasis Center For Women and Girls

Dr. J. Williams

IB Coordinator

International Baccalaureate Program

To All IB Parents and Guardians:

Welcome back to the 2023-2024 school year!  We all look forward to another successful year and welcome your cooperation and participation as we strive to continue and build upon the achievements of our IB Program.

Our entire IB Administrative Team is back this year, and our offices are still in the main administration building.

Here are our phone numbers and email addresses where you can reach us:

Dr. Joe Williams, IB Coordinator (850-414-5036) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Mrs. Melissa Cooper, AP Coordinator and Assistant IB Coordinator (850-414-5005) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Mrs. Victoria Williams, IB Academic Dean (850-414-5597) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Congratulations to our two 2023-2024 National Merit Semifinalists, Navya Kommu and Laxmi McGuire!  Out of approximately 1.3 million high school juniors who took the PSAT/NMSQT Exam in October of 2022, Navya and Laxmi scored among the top 16,000 students.  We are very proud of both of these amazing young women for this prestigious academic accomplishment and wish them the best of luck in the scholarship competition.

Congratulations to our National Merit Commended Students, Karl Akuoko, J’Miracle Butler, Kavyashree Kadhirvelu, Vedant Mital, Tommy Rodriguez, and Kevin Wang!  These students scored among the top 50,000 students on the October 2022 PSAT/NMSQT Exam.  While these students will not advance in the National Merit Scholarship competition, we recognize them for their outstanding scores on this exam, which demonstrates their exceptional academic promise.

Parents of IB Seniors: Our annual IB Senior College Application Day will take place at Rickards in the Cafeteria on Wednesday, October 4th.  Please make sure that your senior attends school that day.  Students will spend the entire day in the Rickards cafeteria working on any aspect of their college applications.  Representatives from the Admissions and Financial Aid Offices at FAMU, FSU, and TCC will be present to answer students’ questions and explain the many opportunities available to students at these outstanding institutions of higher learning.  Students will have the opportunity to work on their applications to any college or university and any aspect of their applications, whether through Common App, Coalition App, or applications available on university websites.  Students may also receive feedback on application essays, resumes, completing the FFAA, SSR, or the SSAR, or any other materials that students want to submit with their applications.  IB Seniors should contact Dr. Williams if they have any questions about the college application process.

May 2022 IB Exam Session Highlights: Our 2022-2023 IB seniors and juniors did well this past year in their overall IB Exam results.  40 out of 66 (61%) of our IB Diploma Candidates (Class of 2023 IB Diploma Program Seniors) earned an IB Diploma.  Our overall IB Exam pass rate (4 or higher out of a possible 7) for all 124 students who took IB Exams was even better, at 71%.  The average points earned by those passing the diploma was 30 out of a possible 45 points (24 is the minimum passing score), and the average grade obtained by candidates who passed the diploma was 4.69 points out of a possible 7. The highest point total earned was 39.

2023 IB Diplomas and Transcripts are in: The 2023 IB Diplomas and IB Transcripts have arrived from Cardiff, Wales, UK.  2023 IB graduates or their parents can pick them up from Dr. Williams in the front office at Rickards.  Please email or call ahead so Dr. Williams can leave your IB Diploma and/or IB Transcript at the front office for you, in case he is not available when you come to campus.

Mrs. J. Goodman

Testing Coordinator
UPCOMING TESTING:  B.E.S.T. Algebra 1 EOC RETAKE TESTING – Monday, October 2, 2023 (Group A), Tuesday, October 3, 2023 (Group B)
Please Bring Chromebook Fully Charged
*******************************
PSAT Day – Wednesday, October 18, 2023

North Florida Worlds of Work

On October 19th, our 9th grade students will be participating in a field trip initiated at the District level to expose students to different career opportunities.   The time frame of the trip is 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM (this includes travel time to and from Lively).

World of Works-North Florida<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.northfloridaworldsofwork.com%2f&c=E,1,ukw4Yald3bPexRZ5Pg0MKKecHvAdXebXupPrKXI9SXg_F1_iSxMU5PDfmMj-1bL51tLy2hfd3xleDugOn0hYi-CIVkas5v69MeKLq3PZo4ztP32Toc1K9bQ7x4aV&typo=1> will provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the skills and qualifications required for different careers. This will help them make informed decisions about their future education and career paths. By participating in this hands-on experience, students will not only gain valuable knowledge about potential career options but also develop essential skills such as teamwork, problem-solving, and communication. These skills are crucial for success in any profession."

Ninth grade students will receive a permission slip (through English classes) that will need to be returned by Friday, October 6th for students to attend.  If you have questions, please contact Mrs. E. M. Cooper at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Dr. L. Ross

Reading Coach

Mrs. A. Mitchell

Math Coach
COACHES’ CORNER BOOTCAMP
UPCOMING BOOTCAMP:  September 30th – 8 AM – 12 PM
Media Center
Bootcamp Objectives:

  *   Graduation Requirement Preparation
  *   FSA/BEST Algebra 1 EOC
  *   ELA FSA/FAST

***BREAKFAST AND SNACKS PROVIDED***

Dr. P. Hall

Science Department Chair
NHS- Members Virtual Meeting on Microsoft Teams on October 2, 2023 at 3:30 PM.

Get to know the science teachers- Science Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Raven McCloud just started her first year as a teacher at Rickards but has been teaching for four years.  She is returning to her alma mater having graduated from Rickards in 2015 and is currently teaching Earth Space Science. She is also coaching girls' basketball, which she played for the Lady Raiders while she was here. She has a B.S. in Biology with a minor in Chemistry from Florida A&M University.   She is also the proud mama of a brand-new baby boy and is loving motherhood.  We will have to work on her owning an animal as she does not currently have any pets, but I would guess that her son is keeping her busy, so we forgive her. 😊

Ms Fields'- AP Chemistry students are doing two separate titration labs next week and AP Environment Science will be cutting their grass and drying it to determine primary productivity.

Ms. Fig's Chemistry classes are trying to figure out which breakfast cereal has the most Iron. They are working on a separation lab where they will compare what they are able to harvest from the cereal to the actual box contents.

Dr. Hall's IB and AP Biology classes will be working on osmosis labs working with potatoes, apples and dialysis tubing.

Dr. Anthony Thompson

Hispanic Heritage Month
National Hispanic Heritage Month
September 15 - October 15

“Each year, Americans observe National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15, by celebrating the histories, cultures, and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean and Central and South America.  Please view the attachment to see how Rickards is observing this month.

Mr. Earl Hankerson

Athletic Director
Raiders Athletics Week of October 2, 2023
Rickards $30.13 Homecoming Giving Extravaganza (Please see attached flyer!)

CALLING ALL CLASSES FROM 1966-2023!!!

Be a part of the groundbreaking 3013 Initiative! Which class can fundraise the most $30.13 contributions to Raiders Athletics to support of student/athletes??

Competition begins October 1-October 13.

The Class with the most contributions will win the “3013 GIVING BANNER” and will be recognized at midfield at Homecoming, October 27th!

For information contact Gary McPherson, Class of 1989 at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or Earl Hankerson, Athletic Director at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

************************************

Raiders Athletics Week of October 2, 2023

Monday, 10/2/23
Raiders Golf @ Hilaman Course, City Tournament, 8:00am
Lady Raiders Volleyball vs. Port St. Joe, 5:00pm JV/6:30pm Varsity

Tuesday, 10/3/23

Lady Raiders Golf vs. Florida High/Maclay, Southwood Course, 3:30pm

Lady Raiders Volleyball vs. NFC, 5:00pm JV/6:30pm Varsity

Wednesday, 10/4/23

Raiders Golf vs. Leon/Chiles, Golden Eagle Course, 3:30pm

Raiders Swim, Jack McClean, 4:00pm

Thursday, 10/5/23

Raiders Bowling, Capitol Lanes, 3:00pm

Fall Baseball @ Florida High, 4:30pm

Lady Raiders Volleyball @ Franklin County, 5:00pm JV/6:30pm Varsity

Raiders JV Football @ Chiles, 6:30pm

https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.gofan.co&c=E,1,2i4Ldg9sAGI7u_2_MTSPjRW4lNRlNrpTfFXnuRkm6vo13Po49fkNgspBTYfkec2ZlMspWqnlKOEcnr_mGTPQY6h7uOb6rwUR84JEFFDaMH-fMzFU&typo=1<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gofan.co%2f&c=E,1,Y4uz6X0VQ_fxtbgI2cBJg3Suu2-2WV6SrI26wCXMaSb7KrwaT7cDDaokhKfVHFgOQyrxq53UrmS3XOs-prnUxhRMXb7L30LWwnn6k1MDPOag&typo=1>

Friday, 10/6/23

No Events

Saturday, 10/7/23
No Events

***New Gameday Operations for Cox Stadium***

Raider Nation,

I would like to ensure all of our Supporters that these operations will improve the fan experience and outcome for a great game.

Tickets

NO CASH; All tickets are $8 and available at https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fGoFan.co&c=E,1,xiaXYXEB8BYBIqSa5uAaylw57XjNZeJ0HUqcdtm6xufvgHfQXF0nhv8bjxCwlmo-eeae3WnNOXjs2JJQS1FdXWRVgLRCsqAydXY32ka08oo,&typo=1

Metal Detectors

All fans must pass through the metal detector.

Entry

Look for signs regarding how to proceed to the Visitor side of the stadium. Gates will open at 6pm.

Concessions

Concessions will be open on the Visitor side of the stadium.

Bags

No bookbags are allowed. Clear bags are encouraged, but we will have personnel checking bags.

Loitering

No large crowds will be allowed to gather. Foot traffic must continue to flow, and spectators must be in the stands.

Raiders Spirit Store- Closes 10/2<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2frickardsspiritwear.itemorder.com%2fshop%2fcategory%2f100908%2f&c=E,1,0DKtRIfLw_Ra36HNrtCg1TN6JUOJ3Mb_cxPLbfa-ltR3KA_pTtJC1jzqsSl2ifiBJyf1UUi9vlHPXN9MtqG9jgFFf6Fwd_95K7Nos9xT6dtQ&typo=1>

Please see this link<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.leonschools.net%2fcms%2flib%2fFL01903265%2fCentricity%2fDomain%2f2018%2f2023%20100%20Club%20Donation%20Letter.pdf&c=E,1,FIiK2SIEVZLvfVmWukAQ0E-VaqqKejqmSxYI9fnCrEbTDgfVDtLC5TnNHb_jxDaWdAFZ-zDXvkDSR45Yxd72SZDptVIflEUYHQ3LdnSI38M_Td2YeWBx7k6mww,,&typo=1> for Raiders Athletics opportunities to support our athletics programs and Raiders Athletics Participation Packet!

Encourage your students to be the best part of Raiders Athletics.

ONE NATION...RAIDER NATION!!!

Mrs. K. Proctor

Yearbook Advisor
Purchase your 23-24 yearbook today at https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.yearbookforever.com&c=E,1,WuXtbJ6LWTiXiRrSMipAHEOiDvUDqKj6uaw1rEEH0dJmCVt0PwwY2auQaTgWY0kgdsVHNCIzB6pYv4YoxzkoHmSAboHA_xfBvvfPQZd8s3mLexxp8Dheo9Bohws,&typo=1<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.yearbookforever.com%2f&c=E,1,GFMDgYgMzPmeWcR1u9azeCpUkgpBTkX6M1Xz93TgAS8z1WxXJ3DTE1cxZFhhO6LnKUuU3EgmKCZIRvEoB5Q5r8LnBVavYWG9vD3IAEzWWpk,&typo=1>!

***IMPORTANT DATES***

Freshman Parent Night – 6 PM

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

IB Senior College Application Day (During school hours)

Wednesday, October  4, 2023

Senior College Application Day (During school hours)

Wednesday, October  11, 2023

End of 1st Quarter

Friday, October 13, 2023

Teacher Planning Day – No School for Students

Monday, October 16, 2023

Sophomore/Junior Parent Night – 6 PM

Wednesday, October  18, 2023

Report Cards –  uploaded to FOCUS at 4 PM

Wednesday, October  25, 2023

[cid:image003.png@01D9ED77.99A133B0]

[cid:image006.jpg@01D9F2DB.A287AAE0]<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2ftips.anonymousalerts.com%2fleoncountyschools%2f&c=E,1,4WwasUe7CQC3v-pr7dmHkcuMbnjVzewyY6f3w7b2YfeEY_ltB0CDneRX8BGb9ziHFqz8ef3PIh9J_Ml-xLcHkRMgVvSa8uvydX-uDmEDwX2u-u0Y3v1Z&typo=1>