JAMES S. RICKARDS HIGH SCHOOL

WEEKLY LISTSERV

for the Week of 9/11/2023, posted 9/08/2023

[cid:image002.jpg@01D8C8F9.1D76B380]

Mr. Douglas Cook

Principal
Parents and Guardians,

On Monday, September 18th please make plans to attend our Annual Title 1 Public Hearing Meeting to review the School Improvement Plan (SIP) for the 2023-2024 academic year.   The review of the SIP will begin at 5:30 P.M. in the Media Center, followed by our Annual Open House.   We look forward to welcoming you to our beautifully renovated and upgraded campus!    The schedule for Open House is below:

5:30-5:55 P.M.       Title 1 Plan on display for parents’ review and signature
6:00-6:05 P.M.       First Bell Rings/Open House Video – in First Period
6:10-6:20 P.M.       First Period Begins (10 Minutes)
6:25-6:35 P.M.       Second Period Begins (10 Minutes)
6:40-6:50 P.M.       Third Period Begins (10 Minutes)
6:55-7:05 P.M.       Fourth Period Begins (10 Minutes)
7:10-7:20 P.M.       Fifth Period Begins (10 Minutes)
7:25-7:35 P.M.       Sixth Period Begins (10 Minutes)
7:40-7:50 P.M.       Seventh Period Begins (10 Minutes)

Mr. Douglas Cook, Principal
[cid:image002.png@01D9CC65.507FB450]

Deborah Barnes, Ph.D.

Assistant Principal for Curriculum

ATTENTION PARENTS, GUARDIANS, AND STUDENTS,

Interim Progress Reports will be uploaded to FOCUS on Wednesday, September 13, 2023.  Parents and Guardians we encourage you to please check your child’s FOCUS account periodically to ensure they are completing assignments.  If you have concerns, contact the child’s teacher for that particular subject(s), or feel free to schedule a meeting with your child’s Guidance Counselor.  Call the school at 850-414-5500 to schedule the conference. We are here to help your child(ren) succeed!

Parents, below are VERY IMPORTANT REMINDER DATES:

Interim Report

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

End of 1st Quarter

Friday, October 13, 2023

Report Card Date

Wednesday, October 25, 2023

SAT and ACT Test Dates for 2023-2024

SAT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

October 7, 2023

September 26, 2023 (Late Registration)

November 4, 2023

October 5, 2023

December 2, 2023

November 2, 2023

March 9, 2024

February 23, 2024

May 4, 2024

April 19, 2024

June 1, 2024

May 16, 2024

ACT

Test Date

Registration Deadline

October 28, 2023

September 22, 2023

December 9, 2023

November 3, 2023

February 10, 2024

January 5, 2024

April 13, 2024

March 8, 2024

June 8, 2024

May 3, 2024

July 13, 2024

June 7, 2024

***Highlighted tests are held at Rickards***

Deborah G. Barnes, Ph.D.

Greatness awaits!

Ms. Terraca Jones

Guidance Department Chair

Guidance Counselor Assignments
Last name: A –E
Mrs. A. Bradley

Last name: F – L
Ms. T.  Jones

Last name: M-R
Dr. K.  King

Last name: S-Z
Ms. M. Davis

Dr. J. Williams

IB Coordinator

International Baccalaureate Program

To All IB Parents and Guardians:

Welcome back to the 2022-2023 school year!  We all look forward to another successful year and welcome your cooperation and participation as we strive to continue and build upon the achievements of our IB Program.

Our entire IB Administrative Team is back this year, and our offices are still in the main administration building.

Here are our phone numbers and email addresses where you can reach us:

Dr. Joe Williams, IB Coordinator (850-414-5036) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Mrs. Melissa Cooper, AP Coordinator and Assistant IB Coordinator (850-414-5005) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Mrs. Victoria Williams, IB Academic Dean (850-414-5597) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Parents of IB Seniors: Our annual IB Senior College Application Day will take place at Rickards in the Cafeteria on Wednesday, October 4th.  Please make sure that your senior attends school that day.  Students will spend the entire day in the Rickards cafeteria working on any aspect of their college applications.  Representatives from the Admissions and Financial Aid Offices at FAMU, FSU, and TCC will be present to answer students’ questions and explain the many opportunities available to students at these outstanding institutions of higher learning.  Students will have the opportunity to work on their applications to any college or university and any aspect of their applications, whether through Common App, Coalition App, or applications available on university websites.  Students may also receive feedback on application essays, resumes, completing the FFAA, SSR, or the SSAR, or any other materials that students want to submit with their applications

Parents of IB Juniors: Our annual IB Junior CAS Assembly will take place Wednesday, September 20th, from 1st through 4th periods in the Rickards Auditorium.  IB juniors will learn about their CAS (Creativity, Activity, and Service) requirements and will log in to ManageBac, the online interface students will use to document their progress toward completing their CAS, EE (Extended Essay), and TOK (Theory of Knowledge) assessment requirements this year and next year.

May 2022 IB Exam Session Highlights: Our 2022-2023 IB seniors and juniors did well this past year in their overall IB Exam results.  40 out of 66 (61%) of our IB Diploma Candidates (Class of 2023 IB Diploma Program Seniors) earned an IB Diploma.  Our overall IB Exam pass rate (4 or higher out of a possible 7) for all 124 students who took IB Exams was even better, at 71%.  The average points earned by those passing the diploma was 30 out of a possible 45 points (24 is the minimum passing score), and the average grade obtained by candidates who passed the diploma was 4.69 points out of a possible 7. The highest point total earned was 39.

2023 IB Diplomas and Transcripts are in: The 2023 IB Diplomas and IB Transcripts have arrived from Cardiff, Wales, UK.  2023 IB graduates or their parents can pick them up from Dr. Williams in the front office at Rickards.  Please email or call ahead so Dr. Williams can leave your IB Diploma and/or IB Transcript at the front office for you, in case he is not available when you come to campus.

Mr. K. Bishop

Test Prep

[cid:image008.jpg@01D9D687.F99D1290]

Mrs. J. Goodman

Testing Coordinator
UPCOMING TESTING:  FSA ELA WRITING AND READING RETAKES – Tuesday, September 12, 2023 – Thursday, September 14, 2023
[cid:image004.jpg@01D9E270.03516220]
***************************************
[cid:image005.png@01D9D752.94223460]

Click this link for information about PSAT and practice materials:  https://satsuite.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt
Use this link to pay online:  https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fpayments.efundsforschools.com%2fv3%2fdistricts%2f56392%2f&c=E,1,4vD2bNrTRx30Z3HqKfn69DJCZXQxVsFrywYOD5hFN8yuILCqKCOthm8zZUp8P37_IzLTK1hup4KpUnZ-PFT2IdJVCUEreSVUJy1tSbMB5Kyi&typo=1

****See Mrs. E. M. Cooper in the front office to pay by check (made payable to Rickards High School) or cash (correct change please).*****
TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO PAY/REGISTER FOR THE PSAT!  THE E-FUNDS LINK WILL BE DEACTIVATED AT 11:59 P.M.
[cid:image009.jpg@01D9CE9C.35CD0930]

Ms. K. Satchell

Title 1 Compliance

21st Century Coordinator
Parents & Guardians,

We hope that your 2023-2024  school year has gotten off to a GREAT start. Below you will find important information regarding our Title I program at the school and district level.

  *   Annual Title I Open House

Please join us on Monday, September 18 at 5:30 pm in the Media Center to review, discuss, and provide feedback for this year’s SIP, PFEP and the School-Parent-Student Compact.  Remember, these are all working documents and you are welcome to provide feedback at any time.

  *   Title I Information
Please be sure to visit the LCS Title I Homepage for information on Title I schools and ways to be involved with your child’s school success.
https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.tandl.leon.k12.fl.us%2ftitle1%2findex.html&c=E,1,g9eh3-RqHY6DBcfYaOuZ146og2Ae0GKmq86KrRY9ATe7s6AXQfAVAArT4IbemDqQK2lXkYqb07ndy7rW0B73rvTZahJWT9Cdaqh0BZxyGMCl5NqqAV4cq2OctkJqGQ,,&typo=1

  *   Family and School Partnerships LCS Policy 2261.01
  *   Parent Right to Know LCS Policy 2261.02
James S. Rickards Title I information can be found on our website at: https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.leonschools.net%2fdomain%2f5249%2c&c=E,1,8Pjp-a8oWA2lZtJmjowP2vPqJbes69kd1tNSX42N2-5-vP-3qfDxEedGySQQB9uCG8vcus4WGZNHmzD33uT953GfIaCqgOF2ImGU6yT59gx0yreUKHxLl4Li&typo=1 additionally, our Title I information is housed in the main office in the 2023-24 Title I binder.

  *   Highly Qualified Personnel
Did you know, all teachers and instructional aides/paraprofessionals paid for out of Title I funds must meet highly qualified requirements?  For more information on this important topic, please call your child’s principal.

  *   LCS Parent Guide
A wealth of information is available in the parent guide as well as the LCS Homepage.  http://www.leon.k12.fl.u<http://www.leon.k12.fl.u/>

  *   Title I Back to School Newsletter

Please see attached.

  *   Parent & Family Engagement Calendar: Building Strong Foundations!

Please see attached.

Please be on the lookout for our

  *   Title I Fall Parent Engagement Survey (September 27 – November 3)
  *   Title I Spring Parent Engagement Survey (April 10 – May 17)

21st Century Afterschool Program<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.leonschools.net%2fPage%2f53492&c=E,1,O8aSVplzWOZEQLkj9Anx6ELuxsNpquIwHoWg5mILvdsOeechlKh7ThIjla1gjTRlbZOjcW5bK7YwAytsvQnlX_YWBH8I9fd3ASSNUfUMwwo,&typo=1>
[cid:image010.jpg@01D9E270.03516220]

There are a few spots remaining in our 21st Century Afterschool Program.  Please complete the attached application if you are interested in your child participating.

Dr. L. Ross

Reading Coach

Mrs. A. Mitchell

Math Coach
[cid:image013.png@01D9D73A.8A1F1C70]

Dr. P. Hall

Science Department Chair
NHS - Members Virtual Meeting on Microsoft Teams on September 11th at 3:30 PM.

Science Olympiad Practices will begin after school in room 1931 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:00-4:00 starting Tuesday, September 12th.

USABO- the USA Biology Olympiad Interest meeting will be Monday , September 18th at lunch in room 1931.

Get to know the science teachers- Science Teacher Spotlight:  Mr. Seth Reedy has been teaching at Rickards for over eight years and has been teaching for over 18 years.  It feels like he teaches all the sciences at Rickards- AP Physics, IB Physics, Physics Honors, and Chemistry Honors- essentially all of the sciences that his degree is not in.  He has a B.S. in Biology from Texas State University and a Master's of Education with a focus on Educational Administration from Lamar University.  He has taught in Texas, Oregon and of course Florida.  We still love him even if his only daughter attends a different high school to the north of us.   At Rickards he is in charge of our Programing Club, Anime Club and is starting up a D&D club which the students requested.  He also plays a vital role in our award-winning Science Olympiad team and this year will be coaching the Hufflepuff team.  In our departments true animal loving tradition Mr. Reedy is the proud papa of two black cats. His favorite animal is a Red Panda, and I am sure if he could, he would have one or more as a pet.

Mrs. Dobb's Anatomy and Physiology class will be learning about terms and planes by dissecting Gummy Bears.

Ms. Fields' Environmental Science classes are watching grass grow and feeding worms, while her AP Chemistry classes will be titrating acids

Dr. Hall's IB and AP Biology classes will be starting their Characteristics of Life Lab this week.

Ms. McCloud's Earth Space Science classes are modeling the Solar System.

Ms. Mendoza's Physical Science classes will be examining old vs new money. They will be doing a Penny Lab in which they examine the mass, volume, and density differences of coins made with Zinc vs Copper.

Ms. Shevchenko's Biology Honors classes will be working with prokaryotes and swabbing different items to investigate bacterial growth.

Mr. Earl Hankerson

Athletic Director
Raider Athletes of the Week!
[cid:image018.jpg@01D9E270.03516220]
[cid:image022.jpg@01D9E270.03516220]

Raiders Athletics Week of September 11, 2023

Monday, 9/11/23
Lady Raiders Golf vs. Maclay/Chiles/Lincoln, Havana Course, 3:30pm
Lady Raiders Volleyball vs. Franklin County, 5:00pm JV/6:30pm Varsity
https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fgofan.co%2fevent%2f1124116%3fschoolId%3dFL11637&c=E,1,5LJRMYZiIufYUvJVi_9j1X8mNFW9prNF8iZinuD5M4RM3YuQ8an-VVKn4f_E6A0E89_2KyD2KdNJiV-TytswHg_z8lMxqYRLl8NrHH46qeawl8lpGwM,&typo=1

Tuesday, 9/12/23

Raiders Golf vs. Franklin County/Godby, St. James Bay Course, 3:00pm

Lady Raiders Volleyball vs. Taylor County, 5:00pm JV/6:30pm Varsity
https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fgofan.co%2fevent%2f1094335%3fschoolId%3dFL11637&c=E,1,3P6w_z7rXJJYUHStJNp0-oRbTylzeFlVXFgtMyiuuv3HhGndQndtTLC1bBUuUWejDlO6ilAjBNdKvgPIRTbs47cHsWrs6lsGRsM9LCpReRzDiTiEB_cTfuYo9KYoQw,,&typo=1

Wednesday, 9/13/23

Raiders Swim vs. Chiles/JPII @ Morcom 3:00pm

Lady Raiders Volleyball vs. Community Christian, 6:00pm Varsity Only

https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fgofan.co%2fevent%2f1124106%3fschoolId%3dFL11637&c=E,1,nNTRKGPQ3ohWKMzW-eCLu5dxQ1RB-n3LTKhBznh6emqrBMuRLf4dtpvgvWPyqpf9rem1RgpS9-0BSe61VY6dRXAdjrW9-ChS3CwbOt1PJYsCGsAUcQ,,&typo=1

Thursday, 9/14/23

Raiders JV Football @ Lincoln, 6:30pm

https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.gofan.co&c=E,1,iHEh9pTywu1-AHMYtP1dgvJJX5PjlcO5hgt_AHNXspfFWNflUxPCjd4UsMPdkcuaRrZzvNbCrep3gKLyoax5faP0j7egHKgC1MPXynQs8ZFIIFGoPw,,&typo=1<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gofan.co%2f&c=E,1,Q4qbbjIq-lR83IfCGlEvu33axgJ26ZdgjKUEoK-8am8gXaaEVlWbvjMbvzTk_eyIw_c2I5JLFtKCeDed_My5sAVJojjS9G1NyhArOigZt9A,&typo=1>

Friday, 9/15/23

Raiders Football @ Godby, Cox Stadium 7:00pm

https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.gofan.co&c=E,1,XO4K0zKpl0WF213B7XMD8a-iNj79fQUzGnJ-cqQa6qZjJc2ZasjcCaDHqakWDjwA5eFMo1N1eX44sQYYdnQfotDXlULDO1qp0yXf6X52dyNY&typo=1<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gofan.co%2f&c=E,1,IVbWNDJGZ6w8wdOkOUTqkp9bOw9nga2Psl8cvLSI5aEWIGSk0cbYkZDSXNuGpJulzGMDbFOIZVAGM-1lMbLC9NfT7NMZD6AcDvY4Oldq1qE,&typo=1>
Saturday, 9/16/23
Raiders Cross Country @ Wakulla, 8:00am

​***New Gameday Operations for Cox Stadium***

Raider Nation,

I would like to ensure all of our Supporters that these operations will improve the fan experience and outcome for a great game.

Tickets

NO CASH; All tickets are $8 and available at https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fGoFan.co&c=E,1,eqmepFUloOqUTMiAHE41u0uAmF988VSjNrEhc6MEOUcnm956gKmE2W-vlsc_dbCx0RXl6IIOGmXQLI2Dc2mjyAkaeauTnV_AmnB9hRHXwagKETM,&typo=1

Entry

Look for signs regarding how to proceed to the Visitor side of the stadium. Gates will open at 6pm.

Concessions

Concessions will be open on the Visitor side of the stadium.

Bags

No bookbags are allowed. Clear bags are encouraged, but we will have personnel checking bags.

Loitering

No large crowds will be allowed to gather. Foot traffic must continue to flow, and spectators must be in the stands.

[image0.png]

Please see this link<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.leonschools.net%2fcms%2flib%2fFL01903265%2fCentricity%2fDomain%2f2018%2f2023%20100%20Club%20Donation%20Letter.pdf&c=E,1,X6QYCJQ17BIY2nGcEgetY9qJe18RkKR0eEvF5DhKcpcrUcxix5biqOTR1qjSC1MRKxxaDnOK-0y0BaqqXGJZKd8Ezy6qYaRtweIrPTFlcKhooXwz4eS_&typo=1> for Raiders Athletics opportunities to support our athletics programs and Raiders Athletics Participation Packet!

Encourage your students to be the best part of Raiders Athletics.

ONE NATION...RAIDER NATION!!!

[cid:image027.jpg@01D9E270.03516220]

[cid:image031.jpg@01D9E270.03516220]

[cid:image032.jpg@01D9E270.03516220]

Dear Parents,

Some of you have inquired about accident insurance/coverage for your school aged children who attend Leon County Schools.  This is optional coverage for your child’s protection.

Plan coverage information link:
https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fschoolinsuranceofflorida.com%2fpages%2fparent%2f1081%2f9069%2fstudent-accident-insurance&c=E,1,q39RWNwj1TOmkNE-sfd2lsciUSfJx1CqV72NRs_-FtFxvNp-ksCtPnzIySjsrQy7VDdr-k_orsCVzXTfaqe4Qh3YcEG8zY6lgj9XKEUiOQ,,&typo=1<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fschoolinsuranceofflorida.com%2fpages%2fparent%2f1081%2f9069%2fstudent-accident-insurance&c=E,1,o_Xzir9ujJdzQstw9-_RrK-65azSakJR8yO7T9gkLEqgiSuJnIUNkMfGacz-E0-qDU7A6KUf1kj3YEBgeKhpNx2InmLhiw4G333G8V_EJzYKEQ,,&typo=1>

If you would like to purchase a plan, create a username and password to sign up using the link below:
https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fschoolinsuranceofflorida.com%2f&c=E,1,Po4ZAI1XBJ0AkAaFpCWShUGbXvGGpRkwKF4_9uc5XSTLQZj3aAnqalb2VXe5BIQC2tZ07zUts-uJsDR_jMr2U3BWUm_dVjJWIpI_zA8sOPBMtMII12inYhe6edNA&typo=1<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fschoolinsuranceofflorida.com%2f&c=E,1,LTyqDjKeI1a4ZPAvs74wVbillYlJJ4CUkJUDLVsPa7Tush6Exw4L3NSg8u-CMVq7pzvNd-1IG3YIl3JSZsiuW8swFyBqY1opCeieVe7ldQwRKpIxRapQTTJb0w,,&typo=1>

[cid:image003.jpg@01D9C6E9.06DEE1D0]
https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fgetfortifyfl.com%2f&c=E,1,Xe69lohp-vAYsE2eBy0JxW6Y7t56g5e4lOS9fRxsansH-gz6ZpWfW05VtzKQX0XSVLaRI80N1ZV4v7FXzWmZ-4xNgT5MQrRLgoJXTlrqgYiLtZuW7vN1&typo=1<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fgetfortifyfl.com%2f&c=E,1,KSijpDm-vbPx4ozd2CWLeN9auC01S9_7lr2CodBs3Yxdc4Q04J4SCTrnU8LxoFiih4V-88HJ3kyE2rdNyUs14gH5Y1gvhwmGDqk764B7e6rd6Vrn&typo=1&ancr_add=1>

[cid:image036.jpg@01D9E270.03516220]<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2ftips.anonymousalerts.com%2fleoncountyschools%2f&c=E,1,t_-in28bBZ7Xq30rjsSandPRM2vuOwyjxC5F7h-Jq1mKV8usTURvHOke5dnh8d-ZiqXrMaWSYZJmNfdsjcA19Szap3vyG11srqsMhrU36NmjVqjIccf8OZ8,&typo=1>