Dear Parents,

As you likely know, there was confusion at Friday night’s football game in Cox Stadium.  I am happy to report that no player or current Leon students were involved in the altercations.  However, it is regretful that this even occurred and that everyone missed out on the second half of play.  It has definitely, though, prompted us to re-think our safety protocols for football games in general and especially in a large space like Cox Stadium.  Safety has to be our top priority.

Yesterday, I met with key school district administrators, law enforcement officials, and individuals from the States Attorney Office and we began crafting a plan for much improved safety protocols to be implemented immediately—including this Friday night.  We are meeting again on Wednesday to edit our plan.  In the meantime, Leon Athletics has implemented a “No Backpacks Allowed” Policy during all football games regardless of location.  Exceptions to this policy will be made for all medically necessary items after proper inspection.  Fans carrying bags that do not meet the criteria will be turned away and not allowed into the game.

I am very confident with enhanced protocols and our “safety first mindset,” that we be able to once again make these events safe and enjoyable for everyone.

Thank you and Go Big Red!

Michael W. Bryan

Principal

Leon High School