Hello SAIL Families,

Summer break is winding down, but our team has been gearing up for a new school year.  Teachers return Wednesday, August 2nd to begin planning for students to arrive on Thursday, August 10th!  We are excited to bring the energy of learning and creative thought and expression back to campus.

I am sure you have many questions, especially if you are new to SAIL.  Below is a list of various topics providing basic overview information as well as the bell schedule.  However, please do not hesitate to call our front office or e-mail us with any further questions.

 Thank you, and we are looking forward to having a great 2023 - 2024 school year!

SAIL Admin:

Matt Roberson, Principal ([log in to unmask])

Linda John, Assistant Principal of Curriculum ([log in to unmask]) ~New to SAIL

Kari Crowder, Assistant Principal of Administration/Attendance ([log in to unmask])

Rob Pell, Dean of Student Services/Referral Coordinator ([log in to unmask])

Support Staff:

Stormy Koch, Enrollment/Student Records ([log in to unmask])

Debi Thomas, Executive Secretary/Attendance ([log in to unmask])

Jan Anderson, School Counselor ([log in to unmask]) ~New to SAIL

Tiffany Martin, School Social Worker ([log in to unmask])

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orientation: Tuesday, August 8th from 8:00am - 10:00am.  This is intended for students that are new to SAIL.  This is a drop-in style orientation for students and families to walk around campus and meet the admin team and support staff.  Feel free to arrive anytime between 8:00am -10:00am, however we will be ending promptly at 10:00am.  A representative from the Transportation Department will be on site to answer any questions as well as other community resource providers.

Schedules:  Although you may begin to see your schedule in Parent Portal, please know that schedules are NOT finalized.  Students will receive copies of their schedule in the main courtyard on the first day of school, August 10th.  Schedules will also be made available in the FOCUS Portal.  As a small school with limited seating in various classes, students may not have received their first or second elective option.  We work very hard in reviewing what students request and try to find ways to honor those requests.  However, scheduling conflicts do arise, and alternate elective options may be needed.  Again, schedules may change leading up to the start of school as classes are leveled for class size.

Schedule Change Requests:  During the first few days of school, we will only be working with students who need a course changed in order to meet a graduation requirement and/or those scheduled in a course they already have received credit.  Beginning August 14th, students will be able to report to their teacher a request to change an elective.  We will begin a review of these requests starting with seniors.  Please know that electives will be scheduled to capacity at the start of school.

Campus Supervision: Campus opens at 7:30am and supervision ends at 2:30pm, unless attending a supervised club/activity.  Parents, please note that the Palmer Munroe Teen Center Park and Pavilions are closed in the morning and do not open until mid-afternoon.  Please visit their site to explore the many great programs they offer in the afternoon -- https://www.talgov.com/parks/centers-palmer .

Breakfast/Lunch: Breakfast and lunch is once again provided free to all SAIL students.  Students will also have the option to purchase additional food items from the lunchroom using the new SchoolCafe app.  Please visit the District Nutrition Services page for more information, including Special Dietary Needs Form, Food Menus, SchoolCafe account Setup: https://www.leonschools.net/Nutrition.  Please note that outside food delivery services are NOT allowed to school campus.  If a student forgets their lunch, do not worry! They will have a free one waiting for them in the cafeteria!

Supplies/Lockers:  We are often asked what students should bring to school.  Start with the essential items - backpack, a couple of 1-inch binders, paper, and a nice collection of writing tools.  Your student's teacher will let them know of anything specific they may need.  Lockers are available upon request, but these are very small and rarely used.  Please see Rob Pell, Dean of Student Services, for more information.  Also, if your student is ever in need of any resources such as school materials, clothing, or home resources, please do not hesitate to contact our School Counselor, Jan Anderson or Tiffany Martin, our school Social Worker.

Transportation:  The District Transportation Department will be posting bus routes on their main page:  https://www.leonschools.net/Page/52447   Scroll down and look for the “Find My Bus Route” options.  Please contact transportation directly for any specific routing information.  If you need a bus request submitted, please call or e-mail Rob Pell, Dean of Student Services ([log in to unmask]).  Please note that bus routes use the address that is listed in the Parent FOCUS Account.

Medication: If your student needs to take medication during school hours or if you need to have prescribed medication available to take, the legal guardian must complete a Medication Permission Form.  These forms can be picked up from the main office.

Student Parking Application: For students that plan on driving to campus, please come by the front office for an updated student parking application.  Juniors and Seniors, as classified by credits earned in FOCUS, wanting to leave campus during lunch must have an updated parent permission form on file.  Students with permission will be able to leave for lunch starting Monday, August 14th.

SAIL Community Involvement: We are always looking for parental involvement!  There are various groups to get plugged in with such as our PTSO or SAC (School Advisory Committee).  Our PTSO is very active in planning and volunteering for student and staff events.  Our SAC meets quarterly to discuss school improvement and recruiting ideas.  Would you consider joining?  We could not accomplish all that we do for our students without your support!  Please visit here to get started:   https://www.leonschools.net/domain/755

StarMetro’s STAR Program: This program provides LCS students in grades k-12 free transportation with a STAR Program Card.  Visit this site for information on how to get a STAR Card for your student:  https://www.leonschools.net/STARCard

 Bell Schedule:

http://listserv12.leon.k12.fl.us/scripts/wa.exe?A3=2207&L=SAIL-PARENTS&E=base64&P=512407&B=--_005_BN7PR06MB603551DA85E6BA619100B415B3999BN7PR06MB6035namp_&T=image%2Fpng;%20name=%22image.png%22&N=image.png

Sincerely,

Matt Roberson

Principal

SAIL High School

850-488-2468

 https://getfortifyfl.com/

FortifyFL is a suspicious activity reporting tool that allows you to instantly relay information to appropriate law enforcement agencies and school officials.

For an Immediate, Life-Threatening Emergency, Please Dial 911.

Please Note: Florida Statute 943.082 states that following an investigation, if it is determined that a person knowingly submitted a false tip through FortifyFl, the individual may be subject to criminal charges under FL statute 837.05.