Dear Parents, Guardians and Community Members,

Before the end of 1st period, Rickards Security staff identified two students entering the Main Office. An immediate investigation revealed one student had a loaded handgun. The Leon County Sheriff's Office arrested the student for a weapon on school grounds. According to the Leon County Schools Student Code of Conduct, this is a  Zero Tolerance Offense (LCSB 5500); therefore, the student will receive the appropriate consequences. I commend the quick actions of our professional security staff and our School Resource Officer for their prompt action. All students are safe and in their 2nd-period classes.

We take our commitment to your child's safety seriously and work closely with the Leon County Schools Safety and Security Department to prevent school violence. Should anyone have information that could help prevent acts of violence at school or within our community, please get in touch with the Leon County Schools District Security Center 24 hours a day at 850 922-5437 (KIDS). You may also contact the Tallahassee Police Department at 850 891-4200 or the Leon County Sheriff's Office at 850 606-3300.

"If you see something, or hear something, say something!"

Sincerely,

Douglas Cook

Principal

James S. Rickards High School

3013 Jim Lee Road

Tallahassee, Florida 32301

(850) 414-5500 (office)

(850) 922-7104 (fax)

Pride! " Respect" Tradition!

Rickards Raiders Flag Logo - Flat (2) (1)