JAMES S. RICKARDS HIGH SCHOOL

WEEKLY LISTSERV

Week of 3/6/2023 posted 3/3/2023

cid:image002.jpg@01D8C8F9.1D76B380

Mr. Douglas Cook

Principal

Parents, Guardians, Teachers, and Students:

I would like to extend my appreciation to you for assisting us in making our Black History Month of Celebrations a big success. Thank you for attending, participating, and volunteering in the activities and events that took place here at Rickards High, throughout the Month of February. Because of services, over 550 students enjoyed their Honor Roll Celebration. They had a blast! Every day, during the Month of February, our students were embraced with Black History Trivia questions. Each day, one lucky winner, who submitted the correct answer to the trivia question, was awarded cash money, donated by our supportive partners. Seeing your presence at our Black History activities and events, reminds me how fortunate I am to have such strong parental involvement and community support.

Please join me in congratulating our Black History Month Winners!

ESSAY WINNERS

10th Grade - Nyla Maddox

11th Grade - Shontavia Atkins

POETRY WINNER

Latrell Batiste

POSTER WINNERS

9th Grade

1st - Rasheed Loriston

10th Grade

1st - Stephanie Salazar-Perez

11th Grade

1st - Kalajae Williams

2nd - Izzy Joseph

Mr. Douglas Cook, Principal

cid:image008.png@01D8C8F9.1D76B380

Dr. Deborah Barnes

Assistant Principal for Curriculum

Parents and Guardians,

Quarter 3 ends on March 10, 2023.   Student’s report cards will be uploaded to Student and Parent FOCUS on March 29, 2023. Please take time to view your child’s grades in FOCUS. If you have any concerns or questions, please contact your child’s Guidance Counselor at 850-414-5500.

cid:image003.jpg@01D94866.141EB0C0

Upcoming School Testing

Non-College Reportable ACT

March 7

This test is for Seniors needing to meet the Reading or/and Math requirement for graduation.

SAT and ACT Test Dates for 2022-2023

     2022-23 SAT Test Dates & Registration Deadlines                  2022-23 ACT Test Dates & Registration Deadlines

Test Date

Registration Deadline

March 11, 2023

February 10, 2023

May 6, 2023

April 7, 2023

June 3, 2023

May 4, 2023

Test Date

Registration Deadline

February 11, 2023

January 6, 2023

April 15, 2023

March 10, 2023

June 10, 2023

May 5, 2023

July 15, 2022

June 16, 2023

***Highlighted tests are held at Rickards***

Dr. Deborah G. Barnes

Greatness awaits!

Mr. Chris Cowart

Assistant Principal for Facilities and Attendance

Please make sure your student(s) attends school daily.  Their success is heavily dependent on their presence at school.  If your student must be absent, please send a note to Mrs. V. Washington, the attendance secretary at [log in to unmask] or the student can drop the note off to her in the front office.

Absences are excused by LCS District for the following reasons:

·         Illness and/or medical care  (Note from the parent or the doctor’s office)

·         Death in the family

·         Legal reasons

·         Religious Holidays/Observances

·         Pre-arranged absence(s) for educational purposes approved at least one week in advance of the absence. Documentation of the educational experience must be provided before the absence will be excused.

Mr. Sam Striplin

Assistant Principal for Discipline

Mr. Andrew Thomas

Dean of Students

Students and Parents:

Please take time to review the Tardy Policy.

  • Students are allowed 4 tardies per 9-week grading period.
  • Administrative referral written on the 5th tardy.
  • Students will receive a full day OFI on the 5th tardy and an additional day for each additional tardy
  • Tardies will be documented via FOCUS (attendance and referral)
  • The policy applies to 2nd – 7th periods only. (1st period tardy or Kiosk sign in does not count towards tardy count)

Please admonish your student to be on time for each class!  If you have any questions or concerns regarding student affairs, please contact Dean Thomas or AP Striplin via phone or email. Thank you.

Ms. Terraca Jones

Guidance Chair

Guidance Counselor Assignments

Last name: A – E

Mrs. A. Bradley

bradleya1@leonschools.net

Last name: F – L

Ms. T.  Jones

Last name: M-R

Dr. K.  King

Last name: S-Z

Ms. M. Davis

d[log in to unmask]

If you need instructions on obtaining an ACT/SAT waiver, click here to see the information on the Guidance Webpage.

cid:image007.jpg@01D94C5B.3356ED10

https://forms.microsoft.com/r/PUgw3EGpSH

Leon Works Junior Apprentice

Get paid while you learn! The Leon Works Junior Apprenticeship Program is an opportunity for high school juniors and seniors to gain work experience in a skilled career field. A skilled career requires more than a high school diploma, but less than a four-year degree and includes some of the most in-demand and high paying jobs.

By 2026, over 70,000 skilled jobs will be available in the Leon County area alone. To prepare students to fill these jobs, Leon county government is partnering with CareerSource Capital Region and Leon County schools to provide job readiness training and work experience.

For one semester, Junior Apprentices will work in a Leon County department where they’ll receive hands-on training, an hourly salary and elective credit towards their high school diploma.

Careers include:

-Computer Aided Design

-Construction Contract Management

-Emergency Medical Services

-Fleet mechanic

-Graphic Design

-Information Technology

-Medical Administration Associate

-Web Development & Design

** Applications for Fall 2023 are due by March 31st **

Tallahassee Future Leaders Academy (TFLA) - Summer Youth Employment

TFLA hires about 100 local high school students finishing their Freshman – Senior year of high school who live in Tallahassee to work part time for 8 weeks (24 hours / week) this summer for the City, earning and learning in a variety of areas. It is an opportunity to gain work experience at a job placement, visit college campuses, develop financial literacy, grow knowledge of how to impact our community, and expand leadership skills – all while earning a paycheck and gaining new professional connections. It is also a great way to meet additional adults who can write strong recommendations for future jobs and/or scholarship/college entry.

Applications are open for both TFLA Youth Leader (no experience required) and TFLA Youth Ambassador (experience required, additional tasks and leadership) positions through the City of Tallahassee’s employment website:  Careers (talgov.com)

All applicants and their parent/guardian must attend one of the scheduled TFLA Youth/Family Info Session to learn more about how TFLA will operate this summer, application and hiring steps, what documents are required for hiring, and to meet staff. It’s a great place to ask questions for teens who are considering applying. Registration Link for ALL Sessions (Date, time, and location for each meeting viewable from link.):

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E4CA8AB2AA0F5C52-youth1.

Dr. Tara Huls

Youth Development Coordinator – Tallahassee Future Leaders Academy

City of Tallahassee - Housing and Community Resilience Department

850-891-7013 (o)

850-490-7558 (c)

TFLA Website: https://www.talgov.com/employment/tfla

Sign up to become a Mentor!

We are looking for mentors who can commit time to our students.  Students desiring a mentor should sign up with Mrs. Bradley ([log in to unmask]).

Sign up for Mentor Training at this link:

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040949ABAE2FA3FE3-mentor

Volunteer at Rickards!

Please contact Ms. M. Davis if you are interested in volunteering!  If you can assist PLEASE email Ms. Davis so that you can be registered as a volunteer.  Thank you to our volunteers that have served our school thus far!

Volunteer Opportunities for Students

Where

What

When

Contact Person

Email

Mission San Luis

Various tasks around the property

Ongoing

Katarina Humphrey

Northside Community Center

School of Arts and Sciences

Spring Carnival

Saturday, April 15th

Alicia Steinbrink

See Ms. Davis

Woodville Little League

Concession

Stand

Volunteer

Ongoing

Ms. Gwen Payne

850-879-0071

Orchard Pond Organic Farm

-

Flowers and Strawberries

Help customers in the fields honey tasting, granola tasting, helping in the Farm Shop, helping bag and checkout customer

Saturdays – 9 AM-12 PM

Farmer’s Markets –

8 AM-12 PM

Send email

Scholarships!

Please see the attached updated scholarship list!!

Mrs. V. Williams, IB Academic Dean

Testing

Announcements

Non-College Reportable ACT

March 7

This test is for Seniors needing to meet the Reading or/and Math requirement for graduation

School Day SAT

March 22

This test is for Seniors needing to meet the Reding or/and Math requirement for graduation

PERT Testing

The PERT used to qualify for Dual Enrollment, will be offered on the days listed below. Dual Enrollment requires a 3.0 minimum GPA and completion of Algebra 2 in order to take a math through Dual Enrollment. The PERT test is accepted by TCC and FAMU. It is not accepted by FSU for Dual Enrollment. Students must sign up by emailing Mrs. Goodman at [log in to unmask] . The deadline to sign up is the Friday before the scheduled date. Bring your Chromebook or personal computer fully charged.

Qualifying PERT Scores                       Testing Dates

Reading- 106                                                 Thursday, January 12

Writing – 103                                                Thursday, February 16

Math – 114                                                    Thursday, March 9

                                                                         Thursday, April 13

                                                                         Thursday, May 18

Please see the attached letter regarding the B.E.S.T. Writing Field Test.

Mrs. J. Goodman

Test Coordinator

Dr. Joe Williams, Coordinator

International Baccalaureate Program

International Baccalaureate Program

To All IB Parents and Guardians:

Here are our phone numbers and email addresses where you can reach our IB Administrative Team:

Dr. Joe Williams, IB Coordinator (850-414-5036) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. Melissa Cooper, AP Coordinator and Assistant IB Coordinator (850-414-5005) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. Victoria Williams, IB Academic Dean (850-414-5597) [log in to unmask]

Congratulations to our seven National Merit Finalists: Abhinav Balaji, Tanmay Haldiya, Annika Lagy, Ananya Mundrathi, Sruthi Sentil, Karthik Vedula, and Eric Zeng!  These outstanding scholars have all advanced to finalist status and will have a chance to earn $2,500 scholarships.  This is a tremendous accomplishment, and we are proud of these IB seniors!

IB CAS Recognition Night: Parents of IB Seniors, IB Juniors, and Pre-IB Sophomores are invited to attend our annual Title 1 IB CAS Recognition Night on Tuesday, March 28, from 6 pm to 7 pm, in the Rickards Auditorium.  IB Seniors will be recognized for their completion of their CAS requirements; IB juniors will be inducted into IB Diploma Candidacy; and Pre-IB sophomores will be recognized for their transition from Pre-IB to IB status.

IB Senior Celebration: All parents of 2023 IB Seniors who are interested in serving on the planning committee for the 2023 IB Senior Celebration, please contact Dr. Williams by email at [log in to unmask] or by phone at 850-414-5036.  Dr. Williams would like to schedule a preliminary planning meeting before spring break to discuss how we can honor this year’s seniors so parents who participated in last year’s IB Senior Celebration Planning Committee can share their wisdom, and the IB Senior Celebration Parent Notebook can be passed along to this year’s committee.  Also, if you are a parent of an IB Junior, you are welcome to participate in this committee. Parents of IB Juniors have helped with senior celebrations in the past in order to plan more effectively their own student’s senior celebration the following year.  Please contact Dr. Williams soon so we can set up an initial planning meeting.

2022 IB Diplomas and Transcripts are in: The 2022 IB Diplomas and IB Transcripts have arrived from Cardiff, Wales, UK.  2022 IB graduates or their parents can pick them up from Dr. Williams in the front office at Rickards.  Please email or call ahead so Dr. Williams can leave your IB Diploma and/or IB Transcript at the front office for you, in case he is not available when you come to campus.

IB/AP Exam Schedule: Please see the attached most recent version of our IB/AP Exam Schedule for May 2023.  TCC has once again graciously agreed to host our IB and AP Exams this spring, and we are grateful to them for their continuing support of our school and our students!

Ms. K. A. Satchell

Title 1 Compliance

Saturday School
Administrator

The Math of Cooking is a workshop provided to Title I parents and families to emphasize the importance of real-world math and engagement in activities that create family time! This session will address essential math and life skills. We hope that you will enjoy performances by Rickards High School students and engage with our host Lanetra Bennett, WCTV News Anchor and Celebrity Chef - Chef Shac! The event will be held at James S. Rickards High School, Thursday, March 9, 2023, at 6PM. The first 50 families will receive a meal-kit so that they can cook like Chef Shac!

Please RSVP using the QR Code on the flyer below.

cid:image016.jpg@01D94C5B.3356ED10

More RHS News

and

Dates to Remember

Congratulations to the Boys Tennis Team.  Their record is 5-0!!

Athletic Training Aide

Athletic Training Staff 2022-2023

Those interested in becoming an HS Athletic Training aide for the JSRHS Sports Medicine Program, please stop by Ms. Mendoza’s classroom to get an application before Spring Break. There will be an interest meeting after Spring Break on Wednesday, March 22, at 2:15 in her classroom, 19-203.

Senior Information- GRAD BASH UPDATE

Grad Bash is quickly approaching. The tickets have been ordered and the next step for a great trip is organizing Room Assignments. We will conduct this phase of planning over the next week. Please mark your calendar for April 192023. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Coach Hankerson at [log in to unmask].

***MANDATORY STUDENT MEETING, APRIL 19TH DURING LUNCH

***MANDATORY PARENT MEETING, APRIL 19TH, 6PM, AUDITORIUM

***PARTICIPANTS AND PARENTS MUST JOIN THE GRADBASH REMIND @6282ff

**********************************

cid:image031.jpg@01D93261.7BF2B360

**********************************

cid:image005.jpg@01D9486D.1D3136E0

cid:image039.png@01D93D59.956E2E70

**************************************

If any young ladies are interested in attending Girls Circle, please see Mrs. Combs, the school social worker in the JROTC building Room# 45-005 to pick up a consent form.

cid:image015.jpg@01D930D5.36D24EE0

cid:image013.jpg@01D9411F.F6CFB7A0

Please see the attached Approved Regular School

cid:image023.jpg@01D930D5.36D24EE0

Ms. Johnitta Wells

SAC Chair

Next Meeting, March 21st – 6:00 PM