JAMES S. RICKARDS HIGH SCHOOL

WEEKLY LISTSERV

Week of 1/23/2023 posted 1/20/2023

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=2301&L=RICKARDS-PARENTS&E=base64&P=12728977&B=--_023_SN6PR06MB39013823230895F470889180A5C59SN6PR06MB3901namp_&T=image%2Fjpeg;%20name=%22image002.jpg%22&N=image002.jpg

Mr. Douglas Cook

Principal

Dear Parents and Guardians,

Thank you to all the parents that came to our Annual Title 1 IB Open House and to the current parents that encouraged your friends and family to attend because of your experience with the program!  We appreciate you.  The faculty and staff welcomed the opportunity to share why families should choose James S. Rickards High School as their high school for the next four years.  I enjoyed engaging with our future Raider families!

Congratulations to our Leon County Science and Math representatives for Sunshine State Scholars Sarayu Vanga and Navya Kommu!!

Congratulations to Sruthi Sentil for being named a top 300 Scholar in the 82nd Regeneron Science Talent Search!

The Raiders are doing great things!!!

Mr. Douglas Cook, Principal

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=2301&L=RICKARDS-PARENTS&E=base64&P=12734377&B=--_023_SN6PR06MB39013823230895F470889180A5C59SN6PR06MB3901namp_&T=image%2Fpng;%20name=%22image008.png%22&N=image008.png

Dr. Deborah Barnes

Assistant Principal for Curriculum

ATTENTION PARENTS, GUARDIANS, AND STUDENTS,

Reports Cards for the second nine weeks are now available for view in FOCUS.

Please follow these steps in order to view your student’s report card:

  1. Log in to the parent portal.
  2. Select the tab that says “Reports” in the box.
  3. There will be an option that says “Report Card”.
  4. Please be sure you select the report dated 1/11.

If you have a concern, please reach out to your child’s teacher via email.  If you have further concerns, please contact the Guidance Secretary, Mrs. Fishburn to schedule a parent/teacher conference by calling 850-414-5500 or send an email to [log in to unmask].

SAT and ACT Test Dates for 2022-2023

     2022-23 SAT Test Dates & Registration Deadlines                  2022-23 ACT Test Dates & Registration Deadlines

Test Date

Registration Deadline

March 11, 2023

February 10, 2023

May 6, 2023

April 7, 2023

June 3, 2023

May 4, 2023

Test Date

Registration Deadline

February 11, 2023

January 6, 2023

April 15, 2023

March 10, 2023

June 10, 2023

May 5, 2023

July 15, 2022

June 16, 2023

***Highlighted tests are held at Rickards***

Dr. Deborah G. Barnes

Greatness awaits!

Mr. Chris Cowart

Assistant Principal for Facilities and Attendance

Parents and Guardians,

If your student received a vehicle during the winter break and wishes to park on campus, they must apply for a parking decal.  The application is attached.  All completed and notarized forms, related documents (drivers’ license, proof of insurance and vehicle registration) and the fee may be submitted to the front office.  Forms are available in the front office or attached to this listserv message.  If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact Mr. Cowart.

Mr. Sam Striplin

Assistant Principal for Discipline

Mr. Andrew Thomas

Dean of Students

Students and Parents:

Please take time to review the JSRHS Student Code of Conduct 2022-2023. The student code of conduct highlights important policies and procedures such as dress code, tardy policy and other disciplinary guidelines established at James  S. Rickards High School for the 2022-2023 school year. If you have any questions or concerns regarding student affairs, please contact Dean Thomas or AP Striplin via phone or email. Thank you.

Cara Bacon | Mecklenburg County Public Schools

Although the weather is cooler, please remember that pajama pants and/or blankets are not permitted.  Please contact our School Social Worker, Mrs. Madinah Combs at [log in to unmask] if you need assistance with clothing that is school-appropriate for cooler weather.

Ms. Terraca Jones

Guidance Chair

Guidance Counselor Assignments

Last name: A – E

Mrs. A. Bradley

bradleya1@leonschools.net

Last name: F – L

Ms. T.  Jones

Last name: M-R

Dr. K.  King

Last name: S-Z

Ms. M. Davis

d[log in to unmask]

If you need instructions on obtaining an ACT/SAT waiver, click here to see the information on the Guidance Webpage.

Sign up to become a Mentor!

We are looking for mentors who can commit time to our students.  Students desiring a mentor should sign up with Mrs. Bradley ([log in to unmask]).

Sign up for Mentor Training at this link:

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040949ABAE2FA3FE3-mentor

Volunteer at Rickards!

Please contact Ms. M. Davis if you are interested in volunteering!  Thank you to our volunteers that have served our school thus far!

Scholarships!

Please see the attached updated scholarship list!!

Mrs. V. Williams, IB Academic Dean

Testing

Announcements

PERT Testing

The PERT used to qualify for Dual Enrollment, will be offered on the days listed below. Dual Enrollment requires a 3.0 minimum GPA and completion of Algebra 2 in order to take a math through Dual Enrollment. The PERT test is accepted by TCC and FAMU. It is not accepted by FSU for Dual Enrollment. Students must sign up by emailing Mrs. Goodman at [log in to unmask] . The deadline to sign up is the Friday before the scheduled date. Bring your Chromebook or personal computer fully charged.

Qualifying PERT Scores                       Testing Dates

Reading- 106                                                 Thursday, January 12

Writing – 103                                                Thursday, February 16

Math – 114                                                    Thursday, March 9

                                                                         Thursday, April 13

                                                                         Thursday, May 18

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=2301&L=RICKARDS-PARENTS&E=base64&P=13238684&B=--_023_SN6PR06MB39013823230895F470889180A5C59SN6PR06MB3901namp_&T=image%2Fjpeg;%20name=%22image016.jpg%22&N=image016.jpg

Mrs. J. Goodman

Test Coordinator

Florida House of Representatives Page & Messenger Program

The application portal for the Florida House of Representatives Page & Messenger Program is now open and can be found here on MyFloridaHouse.govApplications must be completed and returned to the Florida House of Representatives Office of the Clerk by Wednesday, February 1, 2023, via email to [log in to unmask] or via fax to 888-864-8992.

Pages (grades 6-8) are tasked with assisting the representatives in the House Chamber whenever the House is in Session. In addition to leading the Pledge of Allegiance on the House floor, Pages can deliver copies of bills and amendments, provide refreshments, pass notes to members at their desks, or perform other tasks at the request of a member. Messengers (grades 9-12) assist House members and staff by delivering time-sensitive materials throughout the Capitol Complex. Messengers are also responsible for distributing the daily mail to all members, responding to “Messenger Requests” from House staff, assisting committees by transmitting public testimony information to the Florida Channel, and passing notes for members into the Chamber when the House is in Session.

Image result for youth leadership tallahassee

Youth Leadership Tallahassee (YLT) is now taking applications for the 2023 class.

This program occurs during the Junior year, so all current 10th graders are encouraged to apply.

YLT Class 20 applications are available now.

How to Apply: https://www.leadershiptallahassee.com/how-to-apply/ylt-class-20-application/

Step 1) Complete the Online Application

Step 2) Turn in BOTH, the School Permission Form and the Parent Permission Form to Dr. King in Guidance.

Step 3) Have a letter of recommendation sent to Lili Hoffman via email at [log in to unmask] or give to Dr. King in a sealed envelope.

Online Application: https://form.jotform.com/223533918898169

Permission Form:  Linked in the application, must be turned into Dr. King.

Due Date: February 6th, 2023.

This competitively selected, year-long program is an extension of the main Leadership Tallahassee program for adults, bringing together a diverse group of high school juniors from public & private schools in Tallahassee who have demonstrated leadership potential in formal & informal situations, and preparing them to become ethical leaders committed to active community involvement.

ALL applicants will get a professional interview experience.

If interested, please complete the online application and return the permission forms to Dr. King in Guidance as soon as possible.

Thank you!

Dr. Joe Williams, Coordinator

International Baccalaureate Program

International Baccalaureate Program

To All IB Parents and Guardians:

Here are our phone numbers and email addresses where you can reach our IB Administrative Team:

Dr. Joe Williams, IB Coordinator (850-414-5036) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. E. Melissa Cooper, AP Coordinator and Assistant IB Coordinator (850-414-5005) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. Victoria Williams, IB Academic Dean (850-414-5597) [log in to unmask]

Thank you to all that attended our Annual Title 1 IB Open HouseThis is our biggest recruiting event for our IB Program each year, and we are overwhelmed with gratitude to all the students and their families that attended the event to meet the wonderful faculty and staff and discover the many great opportunities available for future students.

If you have an eighth grade student who is interested in shadowing a current Pre-IB student, please complete the attached form and submit it to Mrs. Williams our IB Academic Dean (contact information above) so that she can schedule a shadowing day for your student.

2022 IB Diplomas and Transcripts are in: The 2022 IB Diplomas and IB Transcripts have arrived from Cardiff, Wales, UK.  2022 IB graduates or their parents can pick them up from Dr. Williams in the front office at Rickards.  Please email or call ahead so Dr. Williams can leave your IB Diploma and/or IB Transcript at the front office for you, in case he is not available when you come to campus.

IB/AP Exam Schedule: Please see the attached IB/AP Exam Schedule for May 2023.  TCC has once again graciously agreed to host our IB and AP Exams this spring, and we are grateful to them for their continuing support of our school and our students!

Ms. K. A. Satchell

Title 1 Compliance Contact

Dr. P. Hall

Science Department Chair

Science- Ms. Figueroa's Chemistry classes will be exploring different chemical reactions as they try to not blow-up Building 19! Her students are also preparing for the annual class bottle rocket competition where they design and build a bottle rocket to see who's can travel into the courtyard the furthest.

Dr. Hall's IB Biology classes- Do not forget your IA is DUE Wednesday, February 8th!

RHS News

and

Dates to Remember

Congratulations to the Lady Raiders Weightlifting Team on their win over Wakulla and Taylor County on Tuesday!  We wish the team the best of luck as they prepare for the district meet in Panama City next week!

Congratulations to the Lady Raiders Soccer Team!  The team has a record of 10-1-1!

**********************************

National Honor Society-Attention parents of Sophomores and Juniors- NHS will be making their selection of potential students to join NHS soon. Be on the lookout for more information in the next couple of weeks.  General requirements are a 3.1 unweighted GPA, no disciplinary action at school and teacher approval. The list of eligible students will be posted before February 17th and students will have to fill out an online packet to be considered for acceptance. If students complete the packet and then are accepted, they will then have to attend the mandatory Induction Ceremony on April 12th at 6pm. Again, more information will be in the future Listservs. Rickards NHS DOES NOT send any information through the mail! If you have received anything via the mail that is not from the Rickards NHS Chapter.  The national chapter and scam artist do send paperwork via the mail but that does not qualify students for participation in Rickards NHS. We will only use LISTSERV, school announcements and Canvas to get information out to our students.

**********************************

AVID

The end of the first semester has concluded and we have had great success. Students are being accepted to college and earning scholarships. Continue to look out for more great outcomes!

Senior Tips

-Begin narrowing down to your Top 3 schools

-Check your FAFSA for up to date information

-Check on due dates for school fee deposits (Housing/Meal Plan/Tuition, etc.)

-Discuss Housing options

-SAVE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Grad Bash

ALL GRAD BASH FINAL PAYMENTS ARE DUE FEBRUARY 3RD!!!! If you need to inquire regarding your balance, please contact Coach Hankerson at [log in to unmask].

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=2301&L=RICKARDS-PARENTS&E=base64&P=13296284&B=--_023_SN6PR06MB39013823230895F470889180A5C59SN6PR06MB3901namp_&T=image%2Fjpeg;%20name=%22image029.jpg%22&N=image029.jpg

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=2301&L=RICKARDS-PARENTS&E=base64&P=12874827&B=--_023_SN6PR06MB39013823230895F470889180A5C59SN6PR06MB3901namp_&T=image%2Fpng;%20name=%22image022.png%22&N=image022.png