Parents and Guardians,

Happy Friday Eve. I am sending this early to get everyone excited about tomorrow’s NEST LUNCH!   Tomorrow is our first 2022-2023 Nest Lunch! Students are encouraged to wear their nest shirt and will be able to eat lunch with their nest instead of their class.  It is a really fun day of getting to know some new friends.  Thank you to the following sponsors for the fabulous NEST shirts: Chase Construction Contracting, Killearn Lakes Taekwondo, and The Nova Group Realty.   Our entire student body, faculty and staff are placed into one of five nests. Throughout the year, special activities will be planned to build community within and among the members of the different nests. We look forward to our students, faculty and staff building positive relationships with lots of others who they might not have met before. We are excited about a true community of learners who are encouraging and supportive of one another. Your child received a colored shirt indicating their nest color. The nest names are taken from other languages and mean hawk. Following are the nest names and colors:  Halcon – red; Baaz – yellow; Ying – purple; Mae – green; Bauka – blue

The Principal’s Book Chat for November is Anne of Green Gables This book chat is eligible for second through fifth grade students.  Mrs. Martin and Mrs. Van Hise will meet to discuss the book and have a fun activity and themed snack on November 30.

Please welcome Mrs. Martin.  Terri Martin, originally from Mobile, Alabama, has been an educator in Florida for 36 years and is excited to begin her new journey as principal of Hawks Rise Elementary School.  When offered this opportunity, Mrs. Martin said, “Joining such a positive close-knit school community is an honor, and I look forward to getting to know students and families over the next few months.”  During her career she has been an elementary classroom teacher, a reading coach, and an assistant principal and has worked at several schools including Roberts Elementary, Sealey Elementary, and Oak Ridge Elementary.   Mrs. Martin has two children who attended Leon County schools, Scott who is now a student at TCC and Kelsey who lives in Nashville. In addition to reading mysteries, Mrs. Martin and her husband enjoy hiking and traveling together.

Also attached to this email is the document, ‘Understanding Florida Assessment of Student Thinking (FAST) Grades 3-10 ELA Reading and Mathematics Reports for Families’.

A review of some items:

ONE CAN, make a difference! Please drop off any donations in the office and  get a raffle ticket for each can you … | Food drive, Food drive flyer, Canned  food driveFOOD DRIVE!  We are working with the Salvation Army to sponsor a food drive to help support people in our community. The Salvation Army maintains two food pantries in which we serve hundreds of families in the community.  This is one of my favorite events as it works to support food security in our area.  This year our Project Joy Food Drive is scheduled to run November 7th - 11th. .  Food can be dropped off in the office, or students may deliver it to the cafeteria.

Attached is a survey for the City of Tallahassee.  We are applying for a grant from the National Safe Routes to School (SRTS) program for streets in the Summerbrooke and Ox Bottom subdivisions where Hawks Rise Elementary is located. The submittal is seeking grant funding for construction of a new sidewalk along Heritage Ridge Road (from Meadow Ridge Drive to Summerbrooke Drive). This is a nationally funded program by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) administered through the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT).  This survey is coming home with your student.  Thank you for your time with this.

It is Helping Hands Time!  The Guidance Team and PTO partners are conducting Helping Hands similarly to last year by using Sign-Up Genius again.  Helping Hands is an opportunity to help purchase winter clothes, shoes, and needs for some of our Hawks Rise families anonymously.  Information about the gifts and sizes will be given to teachers to send home with students.  All gifts should be newly purchased with tags.  Sign up Genius Link to go live on Friday, 11/4/22.  https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084AAAAF2FA02-helping3

Helping Hands timeline:

11/4/22 through 11/18/22:  Parents can sign up to purchase gifts on Sign-up Genius

11/17/22 through 12/2/22: Information will be sent home with students about gift needs and sizes.

11/28/22 through 12/9/22: Purchased unwrapped gifts are returned to the school

Upcoming dates

11/7/2022 – 11/11/2022         Project Joy Food Drive

11/11/2022                                Veteran’s Day – No school

11/13/2022                                World Kindness Day

11/16/2022                                Progress Reports Published

11/16/2022                             Class Spelling Bee (4th and 5th grades)

11/17/2022                                SAC & PTO meetings

11/21/2022 – 11/25/2022      Thanksgiving Holidays -offices closed

Thank you again and again for sharing your student with us.

Beth Jackson