JAMES S. RICKARDS HIGH SCHOOL

WEEKLY LISTSERV

Week of 10/31/2022 posted 10/28/2022

cid:image002.jpg@01D8C8F9.1D76B380

Mr. Douglas Cook

Principal

Dear Parents and Guardians,

cid:image004.png@01D8D4D4.21AE5CA0

Mr. Harold Edwards our 2022-2023 Techer of The Year!!!  Mr. Edwards serves as an Advance Placement (AP) Biology Teacher and the Assistant Athletic Director.  Thank you for your service to Rickards!!

Students are not  permitted to wear costumes to school including Halloween.  We welcome our Raiders to show their school pride by wearing Blue and Gold!

Sincerely,

Mr. Douglas Cook, Principal

cid:image008.png@01D8C8F9.1D76B380

Dr. Deborah Barnes

Assistant Principal for Curriculum

ATTENTION PARENTS, GUARDIANS, AND STUDENTS,

Report cards were uploaded to FOCUS on Wednesday.  If you have a concern, please reach out to your child’s teacher via email.  If you have further concerns, please contact the Guidance Secretary, Mrs. Fishburn to schedule a parent/teacher conference by calling 850-414-5500 or send an email to [log in to unmask].

SAT and ACT Test Dates for 2022-2023

     2022-23 SAT Test Dates & Registration Deadlines                  2022-23 ACT Test Dates & Registration Deadlines

Test Date

Registration Deadline

November 5, 2022

October 7, 2022

December 3, 2022

November 3, 2022

March 11, 2023

February 10, 2023

May 6, 2023

April 7, 2023

June 3, 2023

May 4, 2023

Test Date

Registration Deadline

December 10, 2022

November 4, 2022

February 11, 2023

January 6, 2023

April 15, 2023

March 10, 2023

June 10, 2023

May 5, 2023

July 15, 2022

June 16, 2023

***Highlighted tests are held at Rickards***

Dr. Deborah G. Barnes

Greatness awaits!

Mr. Chris Cowart

Assistant Principal for Facilities and Attendance

Please make sure your student(s) attends school daily.  Their success is heavily dependent on their presence at school.  If your student must be absent, please send a note to Mrs. V. Washington, the attendance secretary at [log in to unmask] or the student can drop the note off to her in the front office.

Absences are excused by LCS District for the following reasons:

·         Illness and/or medical care  (Note from the parent or the doctor’s office)

·         Death in the family

·         Legal reasons

·         Religious Holidays/Observances

·         Pre-arranged absence(s) for educational purposes approved at least one week in advance of the absence. Documentation of the educational experience must be provided before the absence will be excused.

Mr. Sam Striplin

Assistant Principal for Discipline

Mr. Andrew Thomas

Dean of Students

Greetings,

Tardiness

Student tardy count restarts with this new grading period.  Students have 5 tardies before an administrative referral is written.  Please encourage your student to be on time to each class, every day.

A student who arrives unexcused to class up to 10 minutes after the bell scheduled beginning time shall be recorded tardy (District Policy).

A student who arrives unexcused to class over 10 minutes after the scheduled beginning time shall be recorded as late (District Policy).

Students who arrive to class past 15 minutes will be marked late (District Policy) and receive a referral as skipping (Rickards policy).

After 5 tardy/late in a 9-week period, students may receive an administrative referral for excessive tardiness.  Students will receive 1-day OFI (Opportunity for Improvement) after the 5th tardy and 1-day OFI for each additional tardy/late.

Ms. Terraca Jones

Guidance Chair

Dual Enrollment

If students are interested in Dual Enrollment for the Spring Semester, they should see their guidance counselor.  Applications are due by Friday, November 18th.

Mrs. Bradley

Last Name    A -E

Ms. Jones

Last Name   F -L

Dr. King

Last Name   M -R

Ms. Davis

Last Name   S -Z

If you need instructions on obtaining an ACT/SAT waiver, click here to see the information on the Guidance Webpage.

Sign up to become a Mentor!

We are looking for mentors who can commit time to our students.  Students desiring a mentor should sign up with Mrs. Bradley ([log in to unmask]).

Sign up for Mentor Training at this link:

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040949ABAE2FA3FE3-mentor

Volunteer at Rickards!

Please contact Ms. M. Davis if you are interested in volunteering!  Thank you to our volunteers that have served our school thus far!

Testing Announcements – Upcoming Test Dates

ü Non-College Reportable ACT, Tuesday, November 1st - This test is for seniors needing to meet the FSA ELA Reading or Math requirement for graduation

ü Florida Civic Literacy Exam, November 15 - This test is for students enrolled in US and AP Government

F.A.S.T.

The Florida Assessment of Student Thinking (FAST) is a progress monitoring (PM) tool that will be administered three times per year to track your student’s progress in learning the Benchmarks of Excellent Student Thinking (B.E.S.T.) Standards throughout this school year. Students participated in the first administration (PM1) Florida Assessment of Student Thinking (FAST) Reading assessment on September 14 and 15. Your student’s results from PM1 are for informational purposes only. Results from PM1 are now available in Focus under Test History.

Mrs. J. Goodman

Lively Open House

cid:image001.jpg@01D8EA0A.9D57A910

Fall is a fantastic time for an OPEN HOUSE. Join us on Thursday, November 3rd, from 3 – 6 pm at the Lively Technical College campus, 500 N. Appleyard Drive. Now is a great time to plan your next step and launch your career.  Learn more about our 30+ career technical programs, meet our team, and accelerate your career opportunities. Information about high school career dual enrollment opportunities will also be available.

Dr. Joe Williams, Coordinator

International Baccalaureate Program

International Baccalaureate Program

To All IB Parents and Guardians:

Two-thirds of our IB Administrative Team is brand new this year, but our offices are still in the main administration building. We welcome Mrs. Melissa Cooper and Mrs. Victoria Williams to our IB Administrative Team!  Both are experienced Rickards educators, and we are excited about the valuable experience and skills they bring to our IB Program.

Here are our phone numbers and email addresses where you can reach us:

Dr. Joe Williams, IB Coordinator (850-414-5036) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. Melissa Cooper, AP Coordinator and Assistant IB Coordinator (850-414-5005) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. Victoria Williams, IB Academic Dean (850-414-5597) [log in to unmask]

IB Seniors: 2023 Best and Brightest Awards Applications are available now!  Please go to this link to download the application and find more information about this annual awards program (http://wcsleon.com/bestandbrightest/).  Last year, Rickards had five students win 1st place and four students win 2nd place in their respective categories.  A Rickards student also won the overall Spirit of the Best and Brightest Award.  You can apply for more than one category on a single application.  Completed applications are due to our Guidance Department Chair, Ms. Jones ([log in to unmask]) by November 28th, 2022.  There is a recommendation letter requirement, so make sure that you notify the faculty member whom you want to write your recommendation at least two weeks before you plan to submit your application.

2022 IB Diplomas and Transcripts are in: The 2022 IB Diplomas and IB Transcripts have arrived from Cardiff, Wales, UK.  2022 IB graduates or their parents can pick them up from Dr. Williams in the front office at Rickards.  Please email or call ahead so Dr. Williams can leave your IB Diploma and/or IB Transcript at the front office for you, in case he is not available when you come to campus.

Title 1

TITLE I Saturday Academic Camp

Camp Schedule is as follows:

NOVEMBER

5th

US History/Biology

12th

ELA (9th/10th)

19th

Math (Algebra IB, Algebra I, Geometry)

26th

THANKSGIVING BREAK

DECEMBER

3rd

US History/Biology

10th

ELA (9th/10th)

17th

WINTER BREAK

24th

WINTER BREAK

31th

WINTER BREAK

JANUARY

7th

Math (Algebra IB, Algebra I, Geometry)

14th

US History/Biology

21st

ELA (9th/10th)

28th

Math (Algebra IB, Algebra I, Geometry)

FEBRUARY

4th

US History/Biology

11th

ELA (9th/10th)

18th

Math (Algebra IB, Algebra I, Geometry)

25th

US History/Biology

MARCH

4th

ELA (9th/10th)

11th

SPRING BREAK

18th

SPRING BREAK

25th

MATH( Algebra IB, Algebra I, Geometry)

APRIL

1st

US History/Biology

8th

ELA (9th/10th)

15th

Math (Algebra IB, Algebra I, Geometry)

22nd

US History/Biology

29th

ELA (9th/10th)

MAY

6th

AS NEEDED

13th

AS NEEDED

18th

AS NEEDED

25th

SUMMER VACATION

Dates are subject to change.

Ms. Eckerle

Social Studies Department Chair

 This week, AP Government and Politics classes are covering Unit 3 that explores Civil Rights and Civil Liberties. Students are engaging in debate and discussion surrounding topics such as defamation, freedom of the press, and other pertinent topics related to civil rights and liberties.

Honors United States History classes just completed the Reconstruction Era. One of the activities that the students took part in was to “imagine that historical figures from the Reconstruction Era were rappers.” With this, the students had to create rap album covers and a 5-song track list using 5 vocabulary-words which could include people, places, events, ideas or laws.

RHS News

Senior Class Information

SENIOR FEES

Your senior fee due dates are as follows:

  • Oct. 31
  • Nov. 30
  • Dec. 31

CAP & GOWN ORDER

Herff Jones will be on campus November 16th, to take Cap & Gown orders.  You are only required to purchase your cap and gown ($32 + tax).

SENIOR TRIP ALERT 🚨

Greetings. The Senior Trip for Grad Bash has been set for April 21-23, 2023. We look forward to a great time. More information will be shared later, but here are the important points to consider right away.  . ***KEEP IN MIND THAT YOU MUST BE ON TRACK TO GRADUATE IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE. ADDITIONALLY, NO ATTENDANCE FAILURES AND NO DISCIPLINE ISSUES.

Cost $400

Trip includes: Astro Bus Travel, Embassy Suites Hotel, Universal Volcano Bay, Andrettis Entertainment Center, Grad Bash, Breakfast (2 days), Lunch (1 day), Dinner (1 day)

Payments can be made via E-Funds (the link is below) or to Coach Hankerson (Cash or Money Order ONLY) now through November 15th. The $150 NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT will cover your seat on the bus. There are only 100 seats. Once those are filled, we will begin a waiting list.

If you have any questions, please contact Coach Hankerson at [log in to unmask] or Building 18-106.

E-FUNDS

cid:image020.jpg@01D8DA65.C8128A80

Spring 2022 Junior Apprenticeship Program

County Provides Paid Skill-Building Positions to Local High School Students

WHO:

Leon County Government

WHAT:

Leon County Junior Apprenticeship

WHEN:

Applications due Monday, October 31 by 11:59 p.m.

WHERE:

Apply now at LeonCountyFL.gov/JRApprentice

Leon County Government is preparing for our next contingent of the Leon Works Junior Apprenticeship Program for Spring 2022. In partnership with Leon County Schools (LCS) and CareerSource Capital Region, the program provides LCS juniors and seniors the opportunity to earn hourly wages while building valuable workforce skills. Applications for the Spring 2022 semester are open now at LeonCountyFL.gov/JRApprentice and close on Monday, October 31.
 The program is currently looking to fill eleven total positions in the following areas:

  • (2) EMT/Paramedic
  • (1) Medical Administrative Associate
  • (1) Computer Aided Design (CAD)
  • (1) Fleet Mechanic
  • (1) Construction Management
  • (2) IT Tech Support
  • (1) Web Development
  • (1) Graphics and Digital Design—Community and Media Relations

To participate, LCS students must be either currently enrolled in or have completed a Career and Technical Education (CTE) course at their local high school. Students in the program will earn an hourly salary, elective credit towards their high school diploma and will also complete the CareerSource Capital Region’s LEAP training, preparing them to enter the workforce after graduation. Students within the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WOIA) qualifications are highly encouraged to apply.

Interested students can apply for up to two (2) Junior Apprentice positions and must be able to access their own form of transportation to the Junior Apprentice sites at which they will be working.

Students should see their guidance counselor if they have questions.

Dates to Remember/RHS NEWS

cid:image005.png@01D8E55F.A05BBC50

cid:image010.jpg@01D8E55F.A05BBC50