Good evening, Wolves!

It’s hard to believe our first month of school is over. I continue to be impressed with our students, faculty, staff, and community.  Swift Creek is a special school and it’s success is due to the amazing people that make up our community!

This week, our students continued with social/emotional learning lessons through their homeroom class.  These lessons will continue throughout the year to provide students a toolbox to manage their daily living.  Ms. Griggs, our school counselor, and all of our teachers do a great job of implementing these lessons to support our students.  In addition to the lessons this week, our administrative team visited each classroom to discuss positive behaviors specific to peer conversations and cell phone use.  Our students were attentive, engaged, and I appreciate their effort to continue to develop skills that they will be able to utilize throughout their lives.  Our STEM classes were treated to a guest speaker today, as a chemist from the Mag Lab discussed “A Day in the Life of a Scientist.”  We appreciate Dr. McKenna for sharing her experiences with our students.

There is no school on Monday, 9/5.  All schools and district offices will be closed.  All schools and offices will reopen on Tuesday, 9/6.  Thursday, 9/8, is Middle School Open House, from 6:00-7:30.  Parents will have an opportunity to walk their student’s schedule, meet their teachers, and learn more about specific classes.  Next Friday is our first Super Howl Out of the year.  We have made some adjustments to this activity, in order to provide additional support for students who may need additional academic support in their core classes.  Due to these changes, students will not need money for this first Super Howl Out.  We will provide updates for future Super Howl Outs closer to each event.

At Open House, parents will have an opportunity to review a draft version of our School Improvement Plan.  This plan, as directed by the Florida Department of Education, provides annual data review and goals for the upcoming school year.  We will have copies of the plan in our Media Center.  Monitoring this plan occurs at quarterly School Advisory Council Meetings.  We have two openings on our committee for the upcoming year.  If you are interested in joining our School Advisory Committee, please e-mail me directly at [log in to unmask].

For the last several years, the Leon County Sheriff’s Office has partnered with the American Cancer Society to put on an event called “Patrol Stroll”. The event helps save lives and fund breast cancer research.  Deputy Dehner, Swift Creek’s School Resource Deputy, is asking for your support.  If you would like to contribute to this event and support the American Cancer’s Society breast cancer research on Deputy Dehner’s behalf, please visit the link http://main.acsevents.org/goto/dehner.  If Deputy is one of the top five earners, he will represent Swift Creek at the official Patrol Stroll event.

Have a great 3 day weekend, we look forward to seeing everyone on Tuesday!