JAMES S. RICKARDS HIGH SCHOOL LISTSERV

Week of 8/15/2022 posted 8/12/2022

cid:image003.jpg@01CE99D2.F0E674E0

Mr. Douglas Cook

Principal

Parents and Guardians,

What a great start to the 2022-2023 School Year!. We appreciate you and your child’s patience as we established strong procedures, routines, and expectations that lay the foundation for a positive school culture. It is our mission to make every student feel welcomed, connected, and part of the Rickards High family. This year, we will continue to challenge each student to grow in his or her academic abilities and to be college-industry ready by the end of four years. Our teachers spend countless hours, planning and creating classroom activities to engage our students in learning. Our teachers utilize best practices and analyze academic data to determine current skill levels, and to set goals for academic growth and improvement. Here at James S. Rickards High School, we believe all students should graduate from high school, prepared for the demands of postsecondary education, meaningful careers, and effective citizenship.

We hope that you will find our website helpful and informative. All school related information can be found on this site. Parents can stay well informed by signing up for our weekly email listserv, following us on twitter, or visiting our school website at https://www.leonschools.net/rickards.

I am honored to serve as the principal of James S. Rickards High School. It is truly a privilege to be a part of a community where parents, teachers, and students care for each other and strive to build positive relationships that support academic and social growth.

Mr. Douglas Cook, Principal

Dr. Deborah Barnes

Assistant Principal for Curriculum

Welcome new and returning students and parents! As James S. Rickards High School Assistant Principal of Curriculum, I feel honored to have the privilege of working closely with such an outstanding and dedicated school community! I am committed to continuing the success of every child, both academically and socially, through the innocent classroom philosophy - where each child's good is discovered, cherished and protected.  Parents and Guardians, I invite you to take an active role in your child’s education. It truly takes the village to raise our children. I look forward to working together with you this year!

Our first few days of school have been awesome!  We have completed our scheduling process. Since we are towards the end of enrolling students for this school year, we are now working on balancing classes that are too large or too small. Therefore, students requesting schedule changes will be limited and situational only. Please see below for examples of acceptable and unacceptable schedule changes.

Acceptable Schedule changes are:

  • Remediation requirements according to the State of Florida law
  • Transcript review for graduation requirements
  • Incomplete schedule/ missing one of more periods.
  • Schedule conflicts

Unacceptable Schedule changes:

  • Parents requesting certain teachers
  • Student has changed of mind about elective class(es)
  • Student doesn’t like teacher and/or the order of classes

If you have any questions about scheduling, please contact me at 850-488-1783 or e-mail our Guidance Counselors at [log in to unmask]

Dr. Deborah G. Barnes

Greatness awaits!

Mr. Chris Cowart

Assistant Principal for Facilities and  Attendance

Chromebooks will begin to be distributed to students who have a signed a Chromebook agreement.  The form is attached and can be printed.  Please send the form with your student to be turned in when they receive their Chromebook.

Mr. Sam Striplin

Assistant Principal for Discipline

Mr. Andrew Thomas

Dean of Students

Greetings,

Starting Monday August 15,we will begin enforcing our school discipline policy. Please review the RHS Student Code of Conduct posted on the school website for information regarding school policy.

Link: https://www.leonschools.net/site/Default.aspx?PageID=23318

Thank you

Ms. Terraca Jones

Guidance Chair

Welcome back to our returning students and welcome to our incoming ninth graders. Each student at James S. Rickards High School is assigned a specific counselor. Our counselor assignments are listed below.  Feel free to email any questions/concerns, we are here to ensure that students meet high school graduation requirements and provide support for the future. To schedule a conference please contact Ms. Fishburn at 850-414-5500 or via email at [log in to unmask].   The scheduling of conferences will begin the week of August 22nd.

Last name: A – E

Ms. A. Bradley

bradleya1@leonschools.net

Last name: F – L

Ms. T.  Jones

Last name: M-R

Dr. K.  King

Last name: S-Z

Ms. M. Davis

d[log in to unmask]

International Baccalaureate Program

To All IB Parents and Guardians:

Welcome back to the 2022-2023 school year!  We all look forward to another successful year and welcome your cooperation and participation as we strive to continue and build upon the achievements of our IB Program.

Two-thirds of or IB Administrative Team is brand new this year, but our offices are still in the main administration building. We welcome Mrs. Melissa Cooper and Mrs. Victoria Williams to our IB Administrative Team!  Both are experienced Rickards educators, and we are excited about the valuable experience and skills they bring to our IB Program.

Here are our phone numbers and email addresses where you can reach us:

Dr. Joe Williams, IB Coordinator (850-414-5036) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. E. Melissa Cooper, AP Coordinator and Assistant IB Coordinator (850-414-5005) [log in to unmask]

Mrs. Victoria Williams, IB Academic Dean (850-414-5597) [log in to unmask]

We welcome all our Rickards students back to campus this school year.  Just like all other Leon County Schools, we continue to use CANVAS this year as our primary online tool for curriculum delivery in order to minimize the number of different web sites students have to go to in order to communicate with their teachers and access their online learning materials.  Students still need to use FOCUS to keep track of their official grades and attendance in each of their classes.

For our IB juniors and seniors, we are still using ManageBac to keep track of CAS progress and document CAS experiences and reflections, and we will still use ManageBac to upload all Extended Essay documents and keep track of student progress on their EEs.  IB Juniors will receive access to this portal soon and will receive training on how to use it.

We look forward to a safe and productive 2022-2023 school year and welcome your input and feedback as we seek to ensure our students’ academic success.

RHS News

Testing

Announcement

PERT Testing

The PERT (Postsecondary Education Readiness Test) used to qualify for Dual Enrollment, will be offered on the days listed below. Dual Enrollment requires a 3.0 minimum GPA and completion of Algebra 2 in order to take a math through Dual Enrollment. The PERT test is accepted by TCC and FAMU. It is not accepted by FSU for Dual Enrollment. Students must sign up by emailing Mrs. Goodman at [log in to unmask] . The deadline to sign up is the Friday before the scheduled date. Bring your Chrome Book or personal computer fully charged.

Qualifying PERT Scores                               Testing Dates

Reading- 106                                                 Tuesday, August 16

Writing – 103                                                Tuesday, September 27

Math – 114                                                    Thursday, October 27

                                                                         Tuesday, November 29

                                                                         Tuesday, December 13

Science Fair Interest Meeting- August 18th

We will have a Science Fair Interest Meeting at 2pm and 2:50 (for students with a 7th period) on Thursday August 18th in Dr. Hall's classroom, 1931.

If you want to participate in Science Fair, you MUST attend one of the two meetings.

Science Olympiad interest - August 16th

Science Olympiad interest meeting starts at 2pm August 16th in 1931. If you have a 7th period, please come when that class ends.

Dr. Paula M. Hall

Canvas Information

Parent Access Canvas

/scripts/wa.exe?A3=2208&L=RICKARDS-PARENTS&E=base64&P=419951&B=--_010_BN7PR06MB389069C38A220BBAE8A5759FA5679BN7PR06MB3890namp_&T=image%2Fpng;%20name=%22image002.png%22&N=image002.png

 Rickards SAC

School Advisory Council –  Tuesday, August 30, 2022 – Media Center – 6:00 p.m.