SCMS Family,  Thank you so very much for your support of our recent Second Harvest food drive!  SCMS donated 905 lbs. of food to meet the food shortage within our community!!  We also want to thank those families that were able to take part in our Fall Family Night last Friday night!  It was a WONDERFUL family and community time, sponsored by our own SCMS PTSO, and based on the positive feedback, an event that may become an annual occurrence!

I am so very grateful that our students are back on our campus – it is a JOY to see their smiling faces and hear how much they also are enjoying being back HOME!   Here are just a few reminders to help support learning and adopted policies at SCMS:

  1. Student cell phones are to be turned off and placed in backpacks as soon as students arrive at SCMS.  They may use their cell phones during the day only with teacher permission (this is a rare occurrence since all students now have a Chromebook).  Students are allowed to use their cell phones when the final bell rings at 3:50 PM.  We ask that parents not text students during the school day.  The front office is ready to provide any student with a message(s) from home.   Just call the front office at 850-414-2670.  Thank you for your support!

  1. FOCUS is the LCS record for student grades.  You may see inconsistences in grades between Canvas and FOCUS, as they are currently unable to automatically synchronize.  Please use FOCUS as the “final” source for grades.

  1. We ask that you make sure that your student only brings water to school in their water bottles and that their bottle has a tight lid.

  1. Please review the student dress code with your child.  The dress code can be found on Page 12 of the Student Handbook, which is on the SCMS Canvas Page that all students have access to.  We are having more and more students come to school wearing pajama bottoms – this is not appropriate attire for SCMS.

  1. The 8th grade educational fieldtrip to Washington D.C. is currently full but your student can sign up for the waiting list at www.swiftcreekdctour.weebly.com

  1. Remember….

Don’t forget to set your clocks back for Daylight Savings Time this Sunday!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Regards,

Sue Rishell

Principal

Swift Creek Middle School

2100 Pedrick Road

Tallahassee, FL  32317

Phone: 850-414-2670

Fax: 850=414-2650

“Every time I am asked what is the most important job in the world, I always answer teacher!  Teachers are the people who hand out life chances for everyone… Our society needs to value the fact that quality teachers inform and shape quality students who in the future become quality community members.  This is what education is all about.”

Patrick Schwartz From Disability to Possiblity: The Power of Inclusive Classrooms