Good afternoon, Yellow Jackets!

This week, we celebrated Red Ribbon Week with a variety of activities discussing positive choices and drug free living.  Report cards were posted to FOCUS on Wednesday and I am very proud of the students who worked hard and had a successful 1st 9 weeks.  Today, we kicked off our first “Fresh Friday” and it was a great success.   Teachers will continue to gear a portion of Fridays to hands-on exploration learning.  It is our continued intention to show students that learning can be fun, particularly with hands-on experiences.  I can’t wait to see all of the fun activities students will participate in this year!

On Tuesday, the school board modified Leon County School’s COVID procedures.

o   Masks are required for all students while indoors unless the parents opt out

o   Staff are encouraged to wear a mask when “appropriate” when 6 feet of social distancing is not possible

o   Visitors, volunteers, mentors, and vendors are still required to wear masks on campus when indoors.  Only volunteers and mentors are allowed on campus, and we encourage them to utilize the front office or planning rooms.  At this time, they are not allowed in classrooms.

o   Students who are required to quarantine due to close contact can return to school immediately, as long as they are asymptomatic.  We will still encourage these students to wear a mask during quarantine, but the parent opt-out still applies

o   Known COVID positive students will be allowed to return to school when:

§  They receive a negative diagnostic COVID-19 test (Rapid or PCR) and are asymptomatic

§  OR Ten days after the onset of symptoms or a positive test, the student has had no fever for 24 hours, and symptoms are improving

§  OR The student receives written permission to return to school from a medical doctor, osteopathic physician, or an advanced registered nurse practitioner.

Next week, our Pre-K classes will be dressing up as book characters on Monday and our Mathletes will be participating in their first Mini Mu competition of the year on Saturday.  Please visit our website and view the school calendar to see all of the activities we have planned throughout the year.

On Monday, 11/1, students will receive order forms for Conley apparel.  A copy of the order form will also be e-mailed early next week.  Order forms and payments must be received by the classroom teacher no later than Friday 11/19.  This will allow orders to be completed and distributed before Winter Break.  Specific directions, including payment options, are on the order form.

I want to thank all of our families for their patience and understanding during morning drop off and afternoon pick up.  We have a large number of our over 700 students that utilize car transportation.  This does lead to congestion and delays.  As a reminder, our car drop-off line closes at 8:25.  If you are not in the line by 8:25, please utilize our front entrance and check in with the staff members at the front of the school.  After 8:45, or when a staff member is no longer present, parents must come into the front office and sign their student in.  We ask the same process of afternoon pick-up.  If you are not in the line by 3:15, please plan on picking your student up from the front office.  I understand that the morning and afternoon car lines sometimes take longer than expected, but we attempt to relieve our teachers and staff  from their required duty to attend to their other daily responsibilities.

We hope everyone has a safe weekend.  Please begin monitoring the weather and dress students accordingly as we do expect colder weather in the coming weeks.  With Halloween falling on a Sunday, we ask that students do not wear costumes, or bring candy for snack/ lunch, next week.  While we want all of our students to enjoy activities over the weekend, costumes and candy can impact the effectiveness of the learning environment.

Have a great weekend!