Dear LCS Families—

In a press conference today, I shared important COVID-19 updates. I want to make sure you are fully informed and have asked our principals to send this email to all of our school Listservs.

Attached you will find a copy of the letter I sent to Governor DeSantis requesting local autonomy and flexibility to allow a temporary mask requirement for Pre-K—8th grade students. As you know, these students are currently not vaccine eligible; they are our most vulnerable students.

On more than one occasion, I have said publicly our local data would inform any decision that impacts Leon County Schools. Currently, our county COVID-19 positivity rate is 13.7%.  Earlier this summer, our positivity rate was much lower.  Another one of my key benchmarks was the hospitalization of children. Last school year, we had zero hospitalizations of school-aged children ages 5-11 and only three from ages 15-24. Because of the delta variant, more children are being hospitalized than previously.

Further, until we know more information regarding the impact this variant is having and until our positivity rate is significantly lowered, I believe temporarily requiring masks for our employees and Pre-K—8th grade students is the right thing to do.

I also announced, beginning on Monday, August 9, masks will be required for all LCS employees. This mask requirement applies only when indoors, and when six feet of distancing cannot be obtained.

For more information on COVID-19 protocols, school operations, and vaccination and testing sites, please visit our In Class website www.leonschools.net/inclass.

I will continue to monitor the situation and update our community as necessary. Please be assured we are doing everything in our power to help keep our employees, students and schools safe.  We look forward to the return of students on Wednesday, August 11.

Sincerely,

Rocky Hanna