Good morning Griffin Families,

 Leon County Schools partners with Capital Regional Medical Center to provide Mental Health Workshops for LCS Parents

Four workshops will be presented via Facebook Live covering topics designed to help parents be on the lookout for signs and symptoms that their child may be experiencing depression, anxiety or increased stress. Each presentation will be led by an expert in the field and begin at 6:00pm live on the Leon County School’s Facebook Page. The presenters will cover important information and then take facilitated questions from online participants.

“I have visited every one of our schools and have seen first-hand the impact that this pandemic is having on the mental wellbeing of our students. We are focused on working with our community partners to provide support and resources to our families and these workshops are another example of that commitment,” said Superintendent Rocky Hanna.

Workshop Schedule:

November 12 at 6pm

Dr. Jeffrey Ferraro is the Medical Director of Behavioral Health at Capital Regional Medical Center.  He is board certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology as well as the American Board of Addiction Medicine.  He will be sharing information on how to recognize signs and symptoms of depression and anxiety, how to support a loved one who is experiencing these symptoms, and common treatments.

November 18 at 6pm

Kelli Mercer is the Program Director for the Behavioral Health Center at Capital Regional Medical Center.  Kelli has worked in healthcare since 2004, with over 10 years in the behavioral health field; she is also a NAMI Tallahassee Board Member and serves as the President for this organization.  Kelli will be sharing information on youth suicide prevention including warning signs, risk factors, and how to help a young person that may be struggling with thoughts of suicide.

December 2 at 6pm

Rebekah Elliott is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with experience working in community mental health and intensive outpatient programs. Rebekah has experience working with clients presenting problems including stress, anxiety, depression, substance abuse, self-esteem, grief, psychosis, and transitional stressors. She will be sharing information regarding coping with isolation and loneliness during the COVID-19 era.

December 9 at 6pm

Chelsea Plotner is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor who serves as the lead therapist for the adolescent intensive outpatient program at Capital Regional Medical Center.  Chelsea is a masters prepared art therapist with an extensive background in adolescent mental health.  She will be discussing positive coping skills for dealing with stress management, particularly during this difficult time.

The safety and wellbeing of our students, teachers and staff is our district’s top priority. Since April, LCS and its partners have had over 361 cases that were referred for mental health counseling sessions for students. District staff is currently working with a teacher committee to expand staff mental health resources.

For additional resources on suicide prevention please visit https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.KnowingSignlas.org&c=E,1,cA23znwA3T1pAFYxhmC1YmWZXo1ACobjkHtd_Qtt3avAnZZ80nk_-YScuNybRe92pUlyjFTF-xT8LYJ6AXhkKp3CfNbHlMqrYhzx8uxlWg,,&typo=1<https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.KnowingSignlas.org&c=E,1,89HmrhLY-wYSxl_PnFhbOIZfq_F0h44u71hkLi-oGefrWeunXRgiXEmJr8to8nlkky2IJ6YzLW73pBoWZ-uuZ8viWb4l2hNn7A8npwtTuPfjMoz32T7jW3GLAg,,&typo=1>.

[Signature]