[cid:d0c71d75-7f8f-43b4-aff9-8e1d0ecda593]

Greetings Parents & Guardians,

The next set of progress reports will go home with students on February 28, 2020. Please be on the lookout for these reports and in the event they are not received we can provide another copy upon parent request.

[cid:25d85b9c-e9c9-4b51-abdc-3cb5b9037a96]

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK
[cid:ba6174ed-490a-4632-978f-707fe0832b9d]
@GriffinMiddleSchool

ATHLETIC SCHEDULES

Girls Soccer Game
 2/28/20        Wednesday       Griffin vs Woodville    6:00 PM  Bellevue Field

[cid:dcbbb557-4fff-495c-bf24-b26533a5999b]

[cid:0415a771-8296-466f-9ead-205376e0fb91]    [cid:c70f9fac-eca0-4500-9f8a-6f0b0e808586]

To all our Parents and Business partners, Yearbook order forms ARE READY! Business partner yearbook ads, 8th grade parent yearbook ads, and yearbook order forms are available in the listserv attachments.

[cid:53c70c04-45fe-43be-9d53-0cbcd7277a96]
[cid:47252601-857b-443e-bf83-8ca080b36ae5]

[cid:1c13e38f-a1cc-4294-8a38-993b329dcbe7]

[cid:12e2d9cd-4e0e-4e12-9180-6b37c9879b10]

Program Objectives/ Discipline
Please note that our after-school program is a great opportunity for your child to be exposed to wonderful enrichment opportunities. These include our homework center, media center, and additional help in subject areas, music, dance, media, and physical education.  However, for us to be successful with these objectives, they must be met with great attitudes and great discipline. We will do everything we can to make the environment one that is positive. Please encourage your child to have a good attitude. Unfortunately we sometimes have discipline issues that will be addressed appropriately. Please be open and willing to listen should a discipline issue arise. Let’s work together to improve our students. Thank you.

21st CENTURY ANNOUNCEMENTS

[cid:fc1efaf1-2064-4b3f-a15a-8dd0f99108d9]

                                        [cid:585773d1-0c51-472c-a570-c6652a538237]

Dear Parent/Guardian(s):

In compliance with the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, you may request information regarding the professional qualifications of your child’s teachers(s) and paraprofessional(s) and information about State academic assessments.

Right to Know Letter - The information regarding the professional qualifications will include:

                   ___     Certification type

                   ___      Subject area coverage and grade level of coverage

                   ___      Degree(s) and defined major area of work

                   ___      Qualifications of paraprofessionals providing services to students under the direction of a teacher

    ___      Information about a teacher that is teaching under emergency or other provisional                                            status through which state qualification or licensing criteria have been waived.

The information regarding State academic assessments will include:

                     ___      A copy of the State’s assessments; dates and description.

                     ___      Individual Student State Assessment Report to ensure specific information on the                                               child’s level of achievement.

Federal law requires that schools receiving Title 1 funds hire highly qualified teachers. The School District of Leon County has always employed certificated personnel according to the Florida Department of Education requirements. Be assured that this will remain a priority in our school district.

If you would like to request any of the above information, please contact the principal at your child’s school (give phone number of the school and additional contact information).

What does it mean to be a Title One School?

Things you should know.

Griffin Middle School is a Title I School.

•   This means we receive federal funds to provide extra help for all students.

Qualifications for a Title I School

•   The funds we receive depend on the number of students who are economically disadvantaged

•   We are a provision 1 school, therefore all student receive free breakfast, lunch and a dinner snack

•   Our school receives $323,089.20

Advantages of being a Title I School

•   The money goes to help all students in our school.

•   It is used for teachers, tutors, after school programs, books, supplies, technology purchases, professional development and other materials.

•   Also , these funds provide opportunities for parents to receive training to help their child in school and other parental involvement opportunities

Ways You Can Help

•   Attend parent information sessions.

•   Become involved in our PTO

•   Sign up for list serv to receive weekly e-mails about events

•   Volunteer in your child’s classroom regularly.

Opportunities for Parents

•   PTO Meetings

•   Parent Information Sessions

•   Volunteer in School/Classrooms

•   Quarterly Lunch and Learn Sessions

As a Title I School, we rely on the partnership between school and home to ensure that our students succeed. We hope you will feel welcome to be a part of your child’s school experience and a part of the success of Griffin Middle School.

What is a Highly Qualified Teacher?

All teachers who give instruction in the core academic subjects of Art-Visual Arts, Drama-Theatre, English, World Languages, Language Arts, Mathematics, Music, Reading, Science, and Social Studies (History, Economics, Political Science and Geography) at any level must meet the following criteria in order for a "yes" response to be provided: hold an acceptable bachelor’s or higher degree, and hold a valid Florida Temporary or Professional Certificate.

All (elementary, middle, and secondary) "not new" teachers of core academic subjects must meet one of the following criteria in order for a "yes" response to be provided: -hold a valid infield Temporary or Professional Certificate and have passed the appropriate subject area test in the subject area assigned OR -have documented the 100 points for the High Objective Uniform State Standard of Evaluation (HOUSSE) plan for the core academic subject area assigned (transferable from out of state using the out of state SAE verification form) OR -for elementary teachers have a valid Florida Professional Certificate appropriate for the grade level(s) assigned and verification from another state of passing an appropriate subject area exam for the grade level(s) assigned (transferable from out of state using the out of state SAE verification form). -for middle and secondary teachers only have a major, equivalent courses, or a passing score on the subject area exam in the subject area assigned as evidenced by a valid infield certificate.

“New” middle and secondary teachers, teachers with no teaching experience, must meet the following in order for a “yes” response to be provided: -have a major, equivalent courses, or a passing score on the subject area exam in the subject area assigned as evidenced by a valid infield certificate.

HOW DOES GRIFFIN USE TITLE ONE FUNDS?

Supplemental Instructional Positions

Technology updates and repairs

Student Supplies

Technology supplies & computers

Parental Involvement

Meals and Mailing

Lunch and Learn Activities for parent workshops

Teacher Professional Development and Training Materials

Parent Liaison