cid:62a1d727-30e9-4aa2-811c-5e4242d3551e

Greetings Parents and Guardians,

End of Semester Exam Schedule is available online in the event parents/guardians desire to pick up their students from school early.

Monday, MAY 14th, 2019

CIVICS EOC

80 MANDATORY MINUTES***

***an additional 80 minutes can be used

8th grade accolades
When: May 28, 2019
10:00am in the Gym

The district launched a competition to see which schools could get their parents to sign up for the parent portal.  I love a good competition, but I think you would very much enjoy the information that is in the parent portal (report cards, testing history, health history, etc.)  Please click on the following link to register: https://www.leonschools.net/parentportal

Letters  have gone  home regarding 7th grade immunizations.  Please take a few moments to review the letter and make sure
your child gets their  TDap shot early. Immunization records should be submitted to Ms. Harris in Guidance.  Failure to submit shot records
will prevent your child from attending classes on the first day of school and they will not receive a schedule until their shots are up to date.

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

@GriffinMiddleSchool

Leon High School Cheerleading Tryout information for the 2019 – 2020 school

year can be found on the LHS Cheer Website.

https://sites.google.com/view/leoncheer/home

Dates and times for parent meeting and tryouts can be found under “Upcoming Events.”

*See attached listing for details on program start dates and requirements*

REMINDERS

Title I News and Updates included in attachments

Here at Griffin Middle School we offer support and counseling services through our New Horizons programs.  Referrals can be made by completing paperwork in the front office– New Horizons provides small group and individual workshops to support the needs of every student.

TESTING UPDATES

Resource for 6th graders

As we move to FSA paper based testing for 6th graders, there

is a nice mp4 that will talk to the students to better prepare them.

https://fsassessments.org/students-and-families/practice-tests/paper-based-materials/student-presentations.stml

21st CENTURY ANNOUNCEMENTS

Program Objectives/ Discipline
Please note that our after-school program is a great opportunity for your child to be exposed to wonderful enrichment opportunities. These include our homework center, media center, and additional help in subject areas, music, dance, media, and physical education.  However, for us to be successful with these objectives, they must be met with great attitudes and great discipline. We will do everything we can to make the environment one that is positive. Please encourage your child to have a good attitude. Unfortunately we sometimes have discipline issues that will be addressed appropriately. Please be open and willing to listen should a discipline issue arise. Let’s work together to improve our students. Thank you.

SUMMER PROGRAM

June 3-July 18, 2019

Monday - Thursday, 8:30am-1:30pm

APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE!!!

More information on reading and math assistance can be found in attached flyer

 Promotion information for all grade levels can be found athttps://www.leonschools.net/Page/1083

Currently, we have a new Facebook page and the username is  @GriffinMiddleSchool and our Instagram page is @GMSTallahassee. Feel free to share our pages and ENJOY!

commpe.pictavo.com <----COPY & PASTE THE LINK IN A SEPARATE WEB BROWSER FOR ORDERING

This year the process for ordering yearbooks is SIMPLE! The ordering process is best and beneficial when done online, however, there will be order forms in the front office. The money collection process will be initiated with the parent liaison or secretary in the front office. Funds will eventually  be collected by the schools bookkeeper for further processing. There are three-price points for yearbook orders, which is included in attached documents.

Attached are three price point yearbook order flyers(using our recommended e-commerce price point dates)

1.      The first price point of $30.  Order by 12/31 and they can add a personalized name stamped cover for $5.50.

2.      The second price point of $35.  Order on/after 1/1/ and by 2/14/19 and they can add a personalized name stamped cover for $5.50

3.      The third price point of $40.  Order on/after 2/15. No name stamp cover option is available after 2/14.

PARENT UPDATE!!!

We strive to bring the best possible instruction to our Griffin students.  With our diverse population, occasionally our teachers are required to add additional endorsements to their certification in order to meet the needs of our students, per the State of Florida.  At this time the following teachers:  Ms. Johnson, Ms. Carter, and Ms. Bates are working towards their English as a Second or Foreign Language (ESOL) endorsement.  We are required by law to inform you that therefore mentioned teachers are currently considered “out of field for ESOL.” However, your child’s teacher has been approved to teach Language Arts to English Language Learners in accordance with State Board Rule.  These teachers will continue to maintain the high academic standards required of all teachers in our school and in our district.

Additional teachers that are out of field for ESOL include: Allison Agbasoga and Erin Bates

All sporting events REQUIRE a completed PHYSICAL FORM, STUDENT ACTIVITY FORM and a HIPPA FORM. If your child does not have such documentation completed already please stop by our main office to pick one up.

·    Parents MUST register on a computer, tablet, smart phone, etc. to create an account.

·    Parent/Guardian login – A parent must have an email address to create an account. If you do not have an email account, please use free email services such as: Gmail, Hotmail and many others providers.

·    Parent/Guardian Password will be displayed once you have registered. The assigned account password CAN be changed in preferences after login.

·          Parent/Guardian will be prompted to correct any discrepancies between student/parent/guardian addresses.

FOR DIRECT REFERENCE OF DRESS CODE @ GRIFFIN MIDDLE SCHOOL PLEASE VIEW THE ATTACHED DRESS CODE GUIDELINES.

Supervision begins at 8:45 AM. Students who need to arrive earlier than that must enroll in our before school program. Applications can be downloaded online and are available in our front office for completion.

cid:e7988307-20ca-4b4e-8059-f99247c22b6f

*21st Century Afterschool Applications are available online  and in our front office.

www.leonschools.net/griffin

cid:7e5a88b2-5204-4e5c-a95b-628e5d05258a

AS IN PRIOR YEARS BACKPACKS ARE NOT PERMITTED IN CLASSES/CAMPUS. STUDENTS ARE RECOMMENDED TO CARRY THEIR BINDERS TO SCHOOL EACH AND EVERYDAY. STUDENTS PARTICIPATING IN SPORTS ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO PURCHASE A LOCKER OR GENERAL LOCKER(FOR STUDENTS IN P.E.) FOR ACCESS TO OTHER BELONGINGS NECESSARY FOR THE FULFILLMENT OF EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES.

Parents, Community Members and Griffin Staff,

I am proud to announce that the Florida Department of Education has calculated and awarded a school grade of “C” for Griffin Information Technology Middle School!  This achievement is a direct result of the tireless work of our teachers, students, parents, and community members.  It is a collective effort that helps to achieve these results.  In understanding that effort, I want to give special recognition to the work of our faculty in upholding our mission to facilitate learning opportunities on a dual technology platform, teaching rigorous and relevant skills that will equip students to compete in a global society. Simply, thank you teachers and staff!  I subsequently would like to thank the students for their work and sacrifice and their parents for helping to steer our achievements. I want to assure you that Griffin Information Technology Middle School staff with the help our students, parents, community members, and feeder schools will continue with due diligence of providing great service, while making improvements where necessary to make our school even better. I look forward to what the future brings as we embark on THE “NEXT” GENERATION GRIFFIN!

Thank you for allowing us to serve you!

Zelena Thomas O’Banner, Ed.S

Principal

cid:27969490-f1c6-4ba8-a076-2a0808dd6f93

The Griffin Middle School List Serv will be published weekly, with information that reflects the present week and the upcoming week.  We will also have a calendar of the year’s events, only adjusting and modifying as our schedule of activities are updated.  We certainly welcome input from our families, community members and stakeholders on how Griffin Middle can be the best middle school in Leon County, FL.

cid:413b846e-43a6-459f-bc66-b095b3ae276c

Dear Parent/Guardian(s):

In compliance with the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, you may request information regarding the professional qualifications of your child’s teachers(s) and paraprofessional(s) and information about State academic assessments.

Right to Know Letter - The information regarding the professional qualifications will include:

                   ___     Certification type

                   ___      Subject area coverage and grade level of coverage

                   ___      Degree(s) and defined major area of work

                   ___      Qualifications of paraprofessionals providing services to students under the direction of a teacher

    ___      Information about a teacher that is teaching under emergency or other provisional                                            status through which state qualification or licensing criteria have been waived.

The information regarding State academic assessments will include:

                     ___      A copy of the State’s assessments; dates and description.

                     ___      Individual Student State Assessment Report to ensure specific information on the                                               child’s level of achievement.

Federal law requires that schools receiving Title 1 funds hire highly qualified teachers. The School District of Leon County has always employed certificated personnel according to the Florida Department of Education requirements. Be assured that this will remain a priority in our school district.

If you would like to request any of the above information, please contact the principal at your child’s school (give phone number of the school and additional contact information).

What does it mean to be a Title One School?

Things you should know.

Griffin Middle School is a Title I School.

   This means we receive federal funds to provide extra help for all students.

Qualifications for a Title I School

   The funds we receive depend on the number of students who are economically disadvantaged

   We are a provision 1 school, therefore all student receive free breakfast, lunch and a dinner snack

   Our school receives $323,089.20

Advantages of being a Title I School

   The money goes to help all students in our school.

   It is used for teachers, tutors, after school programs, books, supplies, technology purchases, professional development and other materials.

   Also , these funds provide opportunities for parents to receive training to help their child in school and other parental involvement opportunities

Ways You Can Help

   Attend parent information sessions.

   Become involved in our PTO

   Sign up for list serv to receive weekly e-mails about events

   Volunteer in your child’s classroom regularly.

Opportunities for Parents

   PTO Meetings

   Parent Information Sessions

   Volunteer in School/Classrooms

   Quarterly Lunch and Learn Sessions

As a Title I School, we rely on the partnership between school and home to ensure that our students succeed. We hope you will feel welcome to be a part of your child’s school experience and a part of the success of Griffin Middle School.

What is a Highly Qualified Teacher?

All teachers who give instruction in the core academic subjects of Art-Visual Arts, Drama-Theatre, English, World Languages, Language Arts, Mathematics, Music, Reading, Science, and Social Studies (History, Economics, Political Science and Geography) at any level must meet the following criteria in order for a "yes" response to be provided: hold an acceptable bachelor’s or higher degree, and hold a valid Florida Temporary or Professional Certificate.

All (elementary, middle, and secondary) "not new" teachers of core academic subjects must meet one of the following criteria in order for a "yes" response to be provided: -hold a valid infield Temporary or Professional Certificate and have passed the appropriate subject area test in the subject area assigned OR -have documented the 100 points for the High Objective Uniform State Standard of Evaluation (HOUSSE) plan for the core academic subject area assigned (transferable from out of state using the out of state SAE verification form) OR -for elementary teachers have a valid Florida Professional Certificate appropriate for the grade level(s) assigned and verification from another state of passing an appropriate subject area exam for the grade level(s) assigned (transferable from out of state using the out of state SAE verification form). -for middle and secondary teachers only have a major, equivalent courses, or a passing score on the subject area exam in the subject area assigned as evidenced by a valid infield certificate.

“New” middle and secondary teachers, teachers with no teaching experience, must meet the following in order for a “yes” response to be provided: -have a major, equivalent courses, or a passing score on the subject area exam in the subject area assigned as evidenced by a valid infield certificate.

HOW DOES GRIFFIN USE TITLE ONE FUNDS?

Supplemental Instructional Positions

Technology updates and repairs

Student Supplies

Technology supplies & computers

Parental Involvement

Meals and Mailing

Lunch and Learn Activities for parent workshops

Teacher Professional Development and Training Materials

Parent Liaison

21st Century Afterschool

The 21st Century Community Learning Centers (21st CCLC) initiative is a key component of the No Child Left Behind Act. Authorized under Title IV, Part B, of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), as amended by the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001, the specific purposes of the federal law are to:

- Provide opportunities for academic enrichment, including providing tutorial services to help students, particularly students who attend low-performing schools, to meet state and local student academic achievement standards in core academic subjects, such as reading and mathematics.

- Offer students a broad array of additional services, programs, and activities, such as youth development activities, drug and violence prevention programs, counseling programs, art, music, and recreation programs, technology education programs and character education programs, that are designed to reinforce and complement the regular academic program of participating students.

- Offer families of students served by community learning centers opportunities for literacy and related educational development.