Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year!
Our staff is eagerly awaiting the return of our students on Monday. We have spent the summer preparing to ensure that this year will be successful for each and every student! I just wanted to take a moment to update you on some exciting new initiatives we have added to our school system this year.
This year, we are proud to unveil LCS SAFE- a new program designed to ensure that our campuses continue to be among the safest places in our community. LCS SAFE will include: Secured campuses protected by sworn law enforcement officers and 50 (unarmed) security monitors. Alliances with community partners to ensure that we are all working together to provide a safe environment for our children. Facilities that implement best practices to monitor who enters and exits our campuses. Emotional security of our students through the addition of mental health counselors, new screening processes and more. The SAFETY of our students, faculty and school community will always be our number one priority
The performing arts, athletics and other extra-curricular activities are some of the most important programs. Recognizing this, we have committed ONE MILLION DOLLARS from this year's budget to help offset the costs associated with these activities. Each high school performing arts program will receive $50,000 and each high school athletics department will also receive $50,000.  Additionally, each middle school performing arts department will receive $25,000 and so will each middle school athletics program.  Students who participate in after school activities have better attendance, better grades and are more likely to graduate from high school. I am extremely proud to be able to help decrease some of the burden that has been placed on our parents. We remain committed to developing a well-rounded student.
This year our district is also excited to launch a brand new technology platform- LCS FOCUS. LCS FOCUS will become our new gateway for all of your child's information. This new and improved platform will replace the old parent portal. Information about signing up will be sent home after the start of school. LCS FOCUS will open on August 27. We are excited about all of the new features that will be available to you with LCS Focus including an app for your phone, grades, attendance, and other important school information.
This will be my 31st year working in our school system as an employee. From being a hall monitor to teacher to principal and superintendent, each year has been an amazing experience!   As you probably also know, I am a proud product of our public schools and I take great pride in the quality of education we provide for all of our students. We have the finest educators in the country! I firmly believe that your children will receive a first class education.
We are all very excited to see what great things our students will accomplish this year.  Welcome back to school!
If we can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to call us at 487-7100. I look forward to working with you this year.
Sincerely,

Rocky Hanna