September 1, 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

-- NEWS RELEASE --

LCS Responds to Florida Department of Education FSA Validity Study

Tallahassee—Today, the Florida Department of Education released the Alpine independent review of the 2015 Florida Standards Assessment.

Alpine agreed with district reports regarding problems with test administration: “the spring FSA 2015 was problematic. Problems were encountered on just about every aspect of the administration, from the initial training and preparation to the delivery of the tests themselves.” [pg.11 Executive Summary]

The study confirms:

·        Large-scale state assessment administration problems

·        As much as one-third of the test items do not match intended Florida Standards in some grades

·        Students were not presented with an opportunity to adequately represent their knowledge and skills

·        The 2015 FSA administration did not meet the rigor and standardization expected with a high-stakes assessment program

“Alpine verified the testing concerns that we heard from students, teachers, and parents throughout the State of Florida. This test had serious large-scale systematic issues impacting a significant number of students,” said Superintendent Jackie Pons. “I will not allow a flawed test to negatively affect our students or teachers.”

After a careful review of the validity study, Superintendent Pons is taking the following actions:

·        Teachers’ evaluations will not be punitively affected

·        Students will not  be retained solely based on the 2014-15 FSA

·        The 2014-15 FSA Math end of course exams will not negatively impact students or their course grades

“This study confirms my belief that we should move to a nationally normed, paper-based assessment that provides teachers with results that can be used to inform instruction,” said Superintendent Pons. “This is yet another missed opportunity to get assessment and accountability right in the state of Florida. Further, we must stop the over testing of our students.”

###

Chris Petley

Communications Manager

Leon County Schools