From: Petley, Chris
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:22 AM
To: Petley, Chris
Subject: Please send to your listserv

Recently, Governor Scott signed a bill that returns district autonomy regarding end-of-year assessments for many courses.

Previous to this action, the state mandated final assessments for all subjects and district-wide assessments for all courses used to meet high school graduation requirements.  Often referred to as "EOYs,"  these assessments were developed by Leon County Schools and were scheduled to be administered this year for the first time.

After careful review and consideration, I announced yesterday that our school district would be eliminating all district end-of-course/end-of-year exams that are not state mandated.

With this decision, students may still take final exams as outlined by their schools' policies; however, only students enrolled in courses with a state EOC (Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, Civics, Biology, or US History) will be required to take the appropriate state mandated assessment.

Sincerely,
Jackie Pons
Superintendent