This week's email is coming to you a bit early...

THINKING AHEAD TO THE FUTURE-

As your child progresses through middle school and you make plans to follow the suggested Magnet Track curriculum, please know that we like to  carefully plan as we move a student into high school classes.  Legislation requires that all high school courses taken in middle school appear on the student's high school transcript and be included in the high school grade point average (GPA).  Also, any middle school students enrolled in Algebra I, Algebra I Honors, Geometry Honors, and Biology must take and pass the state assessment to receive credit in the course.  A student's grade will be the average for the four nine-week period grades.  However, a passing grade in these courses does not guarantee credit.  Credit is only earned by passing the End-of-Course exam.

The suggested Magnet Track curriculum may be found on the Magnet webpage.

JUST A REMINDER-

The end of our first grading period and report cards are just around the corner!  Please remember that as a member of the Applied Science and Technology Magnet Program, students are expected to maintain a 3.0 GPA in their core classes.  Those classes are math, social studies, language arts, science and the research.  A calculated GPA of 3.0 is the equivalent of a B average.  Students are also expected to demonstrate responsible personal behavior in accordance with our school and classroom policies and maintain an acceptable record of attendance.

What happens if my child does not meet these requirements??  This means that we will work together as a team to help ensure that everyone gets back on track and that grades, behavior and/or attendance improve.  Your child's instructional team and our Guidance Office are here to provide you and your student with whatever assistance and direction available to help your child meet their full potential.  If you have any concerns or questions, please contact Gail Mosley, Program Coordinator, or Giselle Marsh, Assistant Principal Cobb Curriculum Services, at 488-3364.

We are very proud of our dance team!

In an effort to defray the cost of uniforms, we have partnered with Beef O' Brady.   This Thursday, October 11th from 4pm until close, whether dine-in or carry out, when you, family members or friends order from the Beef 'O' Brady's at 2910 Kerry Forest Pkwy, just inform your server that you are here in support of the Cobb Dance Team and 15% of the total net sales will be donated back to the team!  Please see the attached flier for more details.

FIELD TRIPS-

The deadline for the first payment  for the sixth and seventh grade field trips to SeaWorld have been extended!  The new date has been changed to November 1st.  We do ask, however, that you let your field trip coordinator know of your intent to attend.

MAGNET SPAGHETTI SOCIAL-

This annual event has always been very HUGE in bringing our Magnet families together.  This year, we will partner with The Wharf Restaurant as they provide this meal at a very affordable cost.   The date has been set to help as you begin to coordinate your Thanksgiving family meals, leaving you one less meal to prepare! Please mark your calendars for November 20, 5:30 PM.   More information will come to you soon!

Thanksgiving??? Already?

Remember...replies to this email will go to the moderator.  To contact Ms. Mosley go to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> .