Dear Parents,

This week I joined other superintendents from throughout the state in asking the Florida Department of Education to take a closer look at some of the FCAT data before assigning grades for our schools. The coalition of superintendents' inquiry is focused solely on GAIN scores, a comparison of last year’s FCAT scores to this year’s. This is the only situation where we have seen anomalies.

When analyzing the GAINS data, we noticed a pattern we felt needed to be studied further. Other school districts have also observed this pattern. These GAIN scores impact the overall grade that individual schools receive from the state. Leon County should have enough points to be designated as an "A" district for the seventh straight year.  However, we felt it necessary that we contact the state in order to make sure that the GAINS data is correct. We would rather the results be delayed than incorrectly impact our school grades.

In the next few days you should be receiving your child's FCAT Individual Student and Parent Reports. Please feel confident in that information. I will continue to work to ensure that our school district remains one of the best in the state. As new information about school grades and GAINS scores becomes available to me, I will keep you informed of the situation. Thank you for your continued support of our schools.

Jackie Pons

Sylvester  Thompson

Oak Ridge Elementary Schools

(850) 488 — 3124