There are 3 weeks left in this first 9-week grading period.  Most of our
students are in great academic shape and are earning promotional
requirements.  For those students who have at least one failing grade,
parents will be receiving a warning letter soon.  Please consider this
an urgent matter.  We are here to help but we need your support.  The
following are steps you can take to help your student improve or to keep
them on the success track:

*       check your student's agenda book each night for homework
assignments and class projects;
*       access schoolnotes.com or teacher Sharepoint websites (through
Griffin's homepage www.griffin.leon.k12.fl.us
<http://www.griffin.leon.k12.fl.us/> ) for assignments;
*       log on to webgrade to see if there are any assignments missed
that can be made up;
*       schedule a conference with your child's teachers through the
Guidance department,

     488-4200.

There is no excuse for students not to earn promotional requirements at
Griffin Middle School!

Calendar of Upcoming Events

"Enjoy the City" coupon books on sale through October 17 - Ms Bush and
Successful Young Men & Women/Studio Production

Monday, September 29

            Cheerleader Fundraiser begins

            GMS Girls Volleyball vs Ft. Braden @GMS, 6:00 p.m.

Tuesday, September 30

        Afterschool Library Begins, 2:00-3:45 p.m., Students must have
homework or research needs to participate.

        GMS Tackle Football vs Nims @Cox Stadium, 6:00 p.m.

Wednesday, October 1

            Spanish Field Trip to El Tapatio, 10:50 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

            Afterschool Library, 2:00-3:45 p.m., Students must have
homework or research needs to participate.

            GMS Girls Volleyball vs Nims @GMS, 6:00 p.m.

Thursday, October 2

            Partners In Excellence Breakfast, Civic Center, 8:30-9:30
a.m.

            Boys & Girls Cross Country Championship @ Phipps Park, 10:30
a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

            Afterschool Library, 2:00-3:45 p.m., Students must have
homework or research needs to participate.

Friday, October 3

        Cheerleader Fundraiser, 2:00-2:30 p.m., Near bus ramp and
outside main office

More Important Dates

October 7                  Health Screening

October 16               End of 9 weeks

October 17               Teacher Planning Day - No School

Chorus Parents -- Please put the following dates and times on your
calendars:

Wednesday, October 22, 2:00-3:30

Chorus After School Rehearsal in Chorus Room

Thursday, October 23, 7:00-7:45 p.m. (Chorus members report at 6:30
p.m.)

Fall Chorus Concert in Chorus Room

Wednesday, December 10, 11:00 a.m.

Chorus Sings at the Old State Capitol (transportation provided by the
school)

If you can, please join us for this performance during your lunch break!

Important:  New Lock Out Tardy/Detention Policy

We have been announcing to our students each day this week about our new
tardy/detention policy that begins Monday, September 29th.  At that
time, we will begin holding random, unannounced lockouts between
classes.  Students who are not in their classes on time will report to a
designated area and will be assigned an after school detention.  Parents
will be notified of this consequence.  Please note:  if students are
assigned an after school detention and do not serve the detention, an
In-School Suspension will be assigned.  It is very important that
students report to class on time to avoid these consequences.

District Advisory Council - Help Wanted

Griffin MS is looking for a parent to attend the District Advisory
Council meetings and keep Griffin's PTO's voice heard at the district
level.  The DAC meets once a month, 6:00-8:00 p.m. at the Howell Center
on Pensacola Street.  Please contact the school office, 488-8436, if you
are interested in being Griffin's DAC representative.

Spanish Club - Invite for New Members

Mrs. Kampert is looking for students who would like to be a part of the
Spanish Club.  It will meet once a month on Fridays and students will
experience activities rich in the Spanish culture.  See Mrs. Kampert if
you are interested.

All Griffin Middle School students, faculty, staff, and their families:

The Florida A&M University (FAMU) Department of Athletics cordially
invites your organization, students, faculty, and staff to attend the
20th Annual Student and Youth Night on Thursday, October 9, 2008 at
7:30pm.

On this evening the Florida A&M football team will take on the Rams of
Winston-Salem State University. Fans can also look forward to a
half-time performance by the world famous Marching 100.  The fee is
$7.00 for general admission tickets, exclusively for students, faculty,
staff, and their families. Please note that all tickets will be $25.00
and $30.00 on Game Day.  See Mrs. Jones in Guidance with your cash by
homeroom on Friday October 3.

Earn 5 Bonus Box Tops for our school when you sign up for the Box Tops
email newsletter!

Sign up for the free Box Tops email newsletter at
boxtops4education.com/2008, and 5 Bonus Box Tops will automatically be
credited to our school!  Be the first to know! Each email will be packed
with the latest information about Box Tops and our school, including:

* Your school's Box Tops earnings progress

* Opportunities to win more Bonus Box Tops

* New Box Tops product updates

* Recipes and coupons for Box Tops products

* Exclusive ways to save at online stores and earn cash for our school

* And more!

It's easy! Just go to boxtops4education.com/2008.

Offer ends 12/31/08. School supporters must confirm registration through
confirmation email to receive Bonus Box Tops. Limit one 5 Bonus Box Tops
offer per email address. Valid for new email registrants only.

CANpaign 2008 - A Community Recycling Challenge - Start Saving Now

All Leon County schools are challenged to collect the most aluminum CANS
and bring them to the CANpaign Rally 2008 on November 8 at The Home
Depot on Capital Circle NE.  In return for your CANtribution, we will
pay $.40 per pound for your CANS, and the school that brings in the most
CANS (by weight) in each division (elementary, middle and high school)
will get double the money!    The School Challenge will take place:
Saturday, November 8, 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.  This is an easy way to help
Griffin make some money.  Thanks for your support!

The Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program has helped more than
350,000 Florida students attend a postsecondary Institution.  The
program offers three levels of scholarship awards - the Florida Academic
Scholars award (FAS), the Florida Medallion Scholars award (FMS), and
the Florida Gold Seal Vocational Scholars award (GSV).  Please read the
brochure your 8th grade student was given today to find out how to
qualify for a Bright Futures Scholarship.