Calendar of Upcoming Events

Reserve Your Yearbook Now – See Mr. Sheppard or Ms. Sanders.  Yearbooks are $30.00 and Friday, April 25, is the last day you may pay by check.  After April 25, all purchases must be made with cash

Band Cookie Dough Fundraiser – April 18 – 25.

Monday, April 21

Girls & Boys Track Practice, 2:00-5:00/Coach Gilmore/Hankerson

Visions of Manhood Fieldtrip/Coach Hankerson 9:30-1:00

6th Grade End of the Year Field Trip Final Payment Due

Step Team/Coach Jones

Girls softball practice/Coach Mendoza & Woodruff

Afterschool Program & Homework Center

Tuesday, April 22 – Celebrate Earth Day!

Progress Reports go home with students

WUR

Tech Club

Afterschool Program & Homework Center

Girls softball practice/Coach Mendoza & Woodruff

Champions/Ms Harris

Girls & Boys Track Practice, 2:00-5:00/Coach Gilmore/Hankerson

Step Team/Coach Jones

Griffin Spring Curriculum Fair - Griffin is hosting its annual Spring Curriculum Fair on Tuesday, April 22nd from 5:30-7:00 in the media center. All parents and students attending Griffin next year are invited to come to learn more about sixth, seventh, and eighth grade curriculum as well as our magnet programs--Pre-Advanced Placement and Pre-Information Technology. It is also a wonderful opportunity to visit our campus and meet our teachers, guidance counselors, and administrative team. See you there!

8th Graders Going to Godby High School - Godby is holding their annual Spring Curriculum Fair next Tuesday, April 22nd. We encourage every eighth grader zoned for Godby to attend, especially those to wish to enroll in higher level courses such as Spanish III, Algebra II, etc. They will need appropriate approval for certain electives as well. Also, Godby will be on our campus Thursday, April 24th to input course requests.

Wednesday, April 23

Girls & Boys Track Practice, 2:00-5:00/Coach Gilmore/Hankerson

Teens on the Move/Ms Hawkins

Afterschool Program & Homework Center

GMS Girls Softball Championship vs Belle Vue @Godby, 6:00 p.m.

GMS Girls & Boys Track Meet @ Leon High School, 5:00 p.m.

Thursday, April 24

Saturday at the Sea with FSU Marine Biology Lab, Turkey Point, field trip Ms Hines/Mr. Ray

Godby HS Representatives at GMS to input course requests

Girls & Boys Track Practice, 2:00-5:00/Coach Gilmore/Hankerson

Champions/Ms Harris

Afterschool Program & Homework Center

Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work/Griffin Career Shadowing Day - On Thursday, April 24th, Griffin students may participate in the annual Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work/Griffin Career Shadowing Day.  In order to be excused, students must have the Pre-arranged Absence Form completed before 4/24 and also provide a letter from the place of business, on letterhead, stating that they indeed participated on 4/24.  This letter is due to their homeroom teacher NO LATER THAN Friday, 4/25.  Students may get the Pre-arranged Absence Form from the main office or as an attachment to this email.

Friday, April 25

Successful Young Men & Women and Studio Productions/Ms. Bush

7th Grade End of Year Trip Final Payment Due

Last day school may accept checks as payment

April 28          5th Graders visit Griffin, 9:30-10:30

April 30          Chick-fil-a Spirit Night (see flyer below)

April 30-May 2   Leon Dance Tryouts, Leon HS Gymnasium, 3:30-5:00 p.m.

May 2              Last day students may check out library books

May 6              Honors Banquet at Civic Center

May 9              All library books due

May 16            6th grade trip to Wet & Wild

                        7th grade trip to Islands of Adventure

                        8th grade trip to Tampa Busch Gardens

May 20-23     Sex Education/chorus room for 8th Grade; Parents will receive opt-out letter.

May 28-30     Early Release Days – Students dismissed at 11:20 a.m.

May 30           Last day of school

The Office of Technology Transfer, Licensing and Commercialization at Florida A&M University will host its fourth Summer Invention Camp (now called the BRITE Idea Invention camp).  The Invention Camp is scheduled for Monday, June 9, 2008 through Friday, June 13, 2008, from 8:00 to 5:00.  To be eligible for students must be between the ages 12-18, maintain at least a B average, have an interest in science, mathematics, and engineering, and posses a “wild” imagination.  See guidance for more information.

It’s time again for the Leon County Summer Training Program.  This program is designed to teach employability skills to students between the ages of 14 and 21 who reside in Leon County.  The program will run between June 16 and July 25.  Students will work 20-25 hours per week, earning $6.79/hour.  Students may apply online at www.leoncountyfl.gov starting April 18, 2008.  Applications must be submitted online no later than Friday, May 9, 2008 at 5:00 p.m.  See guidance for more information.

Griffin “We Have Spirit” Night

At

(North Monroe)

Take your family to EAT MOR CHIKIN” at

                     on Wednesday, April 30, 5:00-8:00 p.m.

When you say “I’m a Griffin Middle School Tiger”

and hand your receipt back to the cashier,

Griffin Middle School will receive 15% of that sale.

This is a great and yummy way to raise funds for

Griffin Middle School!

In addition, our administrative staff will be in the dining room to welcome you in the door, fill your drinks, and bus your table.

(Say “please” and “ thank you”!)

Just when you think it couldn’t get any better,

all dine-in guests who mention their Homeroom Teacher’s name

have a chance to win a Chicken Nugget Tray

for their Homeroom Class.

(The class with the most participation wins!)

So, join your classmates and their families

for the

Griffin Middle School “We Have Spirit” Night

At