SABALPALM-PARENTS Archives

Sabal Palm Elementary Parents

SABALPALM-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
"Ms. Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 2009 09:08:29 -0400
Dear Sabal Palm parents,

It has come to my attention that some of you may not be aware of the
proposed changes to the school attendance zones.  It is very important to
me that you are informed.  The school board made the difficult decision to
close Belle Vue Middle School in February.  I immediately appointed a
committee of parents, teachers and school administrators to evaluate
alternatives for rezoning those students.  The committee held several
public meetings and on March 24th  presented their rezoning plan to the
School Board.  The School Board will have a final vote on the proposed
rezoning plan on Tuesday, April 28, 2009.

The proposed  rezoning plan will have an impact on Griffin Middle School,
Nims Middle School, Raa Middle School, Ft. Braden K-8 School, and Sabal
Palm Elementary School.  I encourage you to look at the proposed maps at
our website:  http://www.leon.k12.fl.us/budget1/zoning.html

Rezoning schools is a very difficult and long process and since your
children are likely to be impacted I want to be sure you have an
opportunity to see the proposed plan and to provide feedback.  You will
have several additional opportunities to provide input, including email at
[log in to unmask] and public meetings:

Superintendent’s Community Conversation, April 21, 2209, 6:00 p.m. at
Godby High School

Superintendent’s Community Conversation, April 22, 2209, 6:00 p.m. at Nims
Middle School

School Board Meeting April 28, 2009, 6:00 p.m. at the Howell Center on
Pensacola Street – FINAL VOTE

In addition, students who will be in either 4th or 5th grade next year and
who have been rezoned, will have the opportunity to remain at Sabal Palm
Elementary if they so desire.  You must complete a reassignment request
for grandfathering and submit it to the choice office.  You may pick up a
form at your school or online.  There is no deadline to do this, however
we encourage you to do so as soon as possible so that we can plan for next
school year.

If you have any questions, please email me at:
[log in to unmask] and I will be glad to help you.

Sincerely,

Superintendent Jackie Pons