SABALPALM-PARENTS Archives

Sabal Palm Elementary Parents

SABALPALM-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
"Robinson, Anicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2021 19:33:07 +0000

Parents:

Please see the following remarks Superintendent Hanna delivered this afternoon in regards to instituting a mask requirement for all Pre-K through eighth grade students. You will have through Friday, August 27th to submit the medical opt-out form. The form is attached.

“The week before school started, I sent a letter to Governor DeSantis asking him for local control and autonomy to make the decisions that were best for our community and our school children in Leon County. Local hospitalization numbers were increasing and some of our children were beginning to fall ill from the Delta variant of COVID-19, so I simply asked him to have the flexibility to temporarily require masks of students ages 5-11 in elementary and middle school as they were our most vulnerable population and not yet eligible to become vaccinated. Included in the request was a medical opt-out component as required by the Florida Department of Health. I never heard back.

On Monday morning, August 9, two days before school was to start, I made an announcement that masks would temporarily be required in grades Pre-K through 8 with a medical exemption from a licensed physician or psychologist.

On Monday evening, I received a very harsh and threatening letter from Commissioner Corcoran that our mask requirement was in violation of State Law and if executed, I along with the members of the Leon County School Board, would be held in violation and face the maximum penalties allowed for under the law.

After a lengthy debate, members of the board expressed to me their reluctance to be accused of violating state law without a legal opinion. It was decided we would open school with a Pre-K-12 mask requirement with  both a medical and individual freedoms opt-out option for parents who claimed that the wearing of masks were an infringement of their parental rights.

In the end, we agreed we would start the school year in this posture, however, we also made it clear we would monitor our numbers very closely and consult with legal counsel for options if we felt as though we needed to make a change.

Speaking of numbers, we have been in school for just 7 days and have recorded over 245 positive cases, which is nearly one-third of what we recorded for the entire year last year. Last Tuesday through Friday, we had daily positive cases of both students and employees averaging in the mid 40’s. The single day high from last year was 19. In addition, on Friday we had over 900 students in quarantine.

In addition to that, we have seen an increasing number of children hospitalized due to COVID-19. The district and community numbers speak for themselves and it’s time for us to make a change in order to keep students safe and our schools open. Beginning tomorrow, Monday, August 23, we are returning to our original plan of temporarily requiring masks for students in grades Pre-K through 8, with only a medical opt-out. Again, the reason for this is because these children are not yet eligible to become vaccinated and remain our most vulnerable students.

Parents of Pre-K through 8 students will have until Friday, August 27 to get the form completed, which requires the signature of a licensed  physician or psychologist along with their  medical office stamp or seal.  If they do not have an office stamp or seal, you may attach a copy of their letterhead with the required information to the district medical mask opt-out form. The medical mask opt-out form for Pre-K through grade 8 can be found at https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2f%2f%2fwww.leonschools.net%2fmasksoptout&c=E,1,mhA9-spGrD_ncgrpd7D4_N-Ft5OrfmRrax3iEVDO_s06SGaDGwoWGPoGljJMTJJXKpyG7ZSOBFhnam7fOKvu3tePZEFmNFt6r8eQ1X0mIK29fw,,&typo=1<https://nam11.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.leonschools.net%2Fmasksoptout&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cbc335ca389ba41bc956608d965a124cf%7C69292adba72a4537aa24d67a6f5642bc%7C0%7C0%7C637652565179901908%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=T9M5AGU9JfHK9t69fksxHXYy2ikWgMOcEQ1f7HZim9U%3D&reserved=0>, along with the parent opt-out form for grades 9 through 12.

Masks may not be the end-all-be-all, but according to the vast majority of health care experts, the wearing of masks not only protects the person wearing the mask, but it also protects those around them.

I am in total support of individual rights and freedoms and the Parental Bill of Rights, however, I also strongly believe some of our rights end when they infringe on the rights of others.

To Governor DeSantis, again, I ask you to please reconsider your position on this issue and give control back to local school districts to do what’s best for the children in their community. Governor, just as you fight to protect for the sovereignty of the State of Florida we are simply asking to have that same consideration for us at the local level. Leaders should never allow pride or politics to cloud our better judgement. It is never too late to do the right thing.

I am aware that I am the first elected school superintendent to take such action. I am also fully aware of the consequences I may face. Governor, I have an obligation to uphold the laws of the State of Florida. I have a greater obligation, however, to protect the health, safety and welfare of the children in Leon County.”