SABALPALM-PARENTS Archives

Sabal Palm Elementary Parents

SABALPALM-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

"Ms. Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:27:13 -0400
Dear Parents,

In 2002, citizens approved an amendment to the Florida Constitution that
set limits on the number of students in core academic classes in the
state’s public schools.  Over the past few years, schools have been allowed
to meet class size using school averages.  Beginning this year, schools
will have to meet the class size limits for every core academic class,
which at the elementary school includes all classes with the exception of
the special areas such as art, music, and physical education.  The maximum
number of students in each core class for 2010-2011 will be:
• 18 students in prekindergarten through grade 3
• 22 students in grades 4 and 5.

To meet this class size mandate, it is important that we maximize our
resources to the extent possible.  Changes you may see as a result include
the following:
• creation of multi-grade classes
• assigning associate teachers to classrooms that exceed the class
size limit
• making adjustments as needed after school begins if enrollment
figures fluctuate

Please be assured we are doing everything we can to meet the class size
mandate with minimal disruption and to have everything in place as quickly
as possible as our enrollment becomes verified.  Please call the school
office if you have any questions.

Thank you for your support!
Dr. Ann Johnson