RUEDIGER-PARENTS Archives

Ruediger Elementary Parents

RUEDIGER-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Carolyn Spooner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:21:36 -0400
Ruediger Elementary List Serv

May 1-May 5 Week 33 of a TERRIFIC YEAR

THOUGHT
Children are apt to live up to what you believe of them.  (Johnson)

Happenings This Week

5/1  MONDAY
Staff Appreciation Week
Teacher of the Year Banquet 6:00

5/2TUESDAY

5/3 WEDNESDAY
8:30-9:30 Kindergarten Orientation

5/4 THURSDAY
10:00-12:00 LCS Volunteer program at the Civic Center

5/5 FRIDAY

LEON COUNTY NEWS
For the latest in County LCS e-News, be sure to sign up for the e-News list
serve at http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/archives/lcsenews.html so you will
receive it regularly.  You can view previous editions of LCS e-News on the
NEW District website by clicking on the Public Information option.

Please note that web links in LCS e-News are active if viewed using Adobe
Acrobat version 7.0.5, which you can download for free at www.adobe.com.

Up Coming Events at Ruediger
5/11 DanceChance Recital
5/12 DARE Graduation
5/12-5/13 Relay For Life begins
5/16 Chorus presents "Aladdin Jr.” at 7:00pm
5/17 Patrols / Mediator Field Trip
8:30-9:30 Wally Amous founder of Famous Cookies will speaker to students
participating in the AmeriCorps project in the Media Cemter
5/18 Mentor & Student Luncheon
CiCi Pizza Night (Families that order pizza earn $$$ for Ruediger)
5/19 Reading / Island Day
5/22 5th Grade Wild Adventures
5/23 5th Grade Celebration TCC
5:30 GED Family Fun Night
6:00 Board Meeting – Ruediger T+Staff and parents invited to LCS Board
meeting.  PAEC will present an Award to Ruediger Elementary
5/24-5/26 Eary Release Days 7:50-11:40
5/26 Report Cards goes home
Newsletter goes home

8/8 Closing the Achievement Gap Parent Workshop 6:30-7:30 all Title I
parents invited; location Ruediger

REMINDERS
2006-2007 TEACH REQUESTS
Due to the rising requirements and the need to balance classes; requests
must be in writing and turned into Ms. Spooner by the last day of school.
Please to describe a personality type that works best with their child,
rather than a specific teacher’s name.
SAFETY
UPDATE

Ruediger has installed a new system to help protect your children called V-
soft.  V-soft helps track visitors, students, faculty, contractors,
volunteers at the school; providing a safer more monitored environment.
All visitors on campus check-in at the front office where they will be
asked to present their valid driver’s license.
For added safety, the school’s gates Tharpe Street and side gates will be
locked during the school day 7:50-2:10.  All visitors are asked to check in
at the front office when they come on campus.
CAMP OASIS
The Ruediger Camp Oasis Program was highlighted in the Leon County Schools
21st Century September Audit for the excellent variety of activities; with
an emphasis on character development and behavioral improvement.
Congratulations to Phyllis Tessel and the Camp Oasis staff” for the
excellent review; we are so proud of you.

Camp Oasis will begin second semester January 9.
Before School  Mon – Fri. 7:15-7:50 Media Center and Technology
Lab

After School   Mon.-Thurs. 2:10-5:00 Media Center

BE SURE TO VISIT the following
websites:

                          Ruediger Homepage:
http://www.Ruediger.leon.k12.fl.us/school/index.html
The Parent Guide. address is:

 http://www.leon.k12.fl.us/public/news/20042005%20Parent%20Guide.htm
Reading Tips
Website

Parents for great ideas, suggestions and tips on helping your child with
reading go www.justreadfamilies.org
Center for Parent
Leadership
                   CIPL is an initiative that trains and supports parent
activists to help improve achievement in their schools and to be advocates
for statewide reform in Kentucky. Their services consist mainly of large-
scale consulting, workshops and seminars, and publications.
www.centerforparentleadership.org
EPIC
                                                           Every Person
Influences Children EPIC is a national not-for-profit organization that
provides effective programs and resources for parents, teachers, and school
administrators that help adults raise responsible and academically
successful children.
www.epicforchildren.org
Family Literacy and Math These programs focused on helping parents of
populations traditionally left out of higher mathematics to develop their
own skills, confidence, and enthusiasm for math.
Volunteer / Mentor
Program
                                                                   If you
would like to make a difference in a child's life, sign-up as a mentor or
classroom volunteer.  Mrs. Long, our guidance counselor, will help you
match your time and interest with a placement need. Just call 488-1074 and
ask for Mrs. Long.
Box Top
Collection

Please help our school collect Box Tops. For every Box Top that is brought
in, we earn ten cents from General Mills. If you have any Box Tops at home,
please cut them out and send them in with your child. The school and the
class will appreciate it.
Visits on Campus You will need to sign in and get a Visitor Badge any time
you are on campus. This is a safety precaution and we appreciate your help
with this procedure.
We have a NO Drop-in policy at Ruediger, please check with the classroom
teacher BEFORE stopping by to visit the classroom.  We are trying hard to
have as few interruptions to the instructional program, as possible.  A
teacher stopping a lesson even for a few minutes to assist or answer a
parent’s question, disrupts the lesson and takes away precious learning
time.
If you would like to observe or volunteer in the class, just let the
teacher know to expect you.  This will help the teacher plan and keep those
interruptions down.
Medication Students are not allowed to carry any type of medication
(prescription or non-prescription) in back packs.  Parents should come in
and complete proper paperwork to ensure that your child will receive
medication properly and on time.
Transportation If you change how your children goes home, PLEASE send the
teacher a note!                          Remember, if an emergency occurs
or plans change, call the school office BEFORE 1:45 PM and a message will
be given to your child about the change.  We can not get messages to
students after 1:45 PM. So, please call as soon as you know your plans have
changed.
Dismissal Procedures Dismissal begins at 2:10.  We need parents to meet
students by the cafeteria.  We have approximately 100 additional students
this year and the hallways are jammed.  Please help us by waiting at the
Tenth Avenue entrance by the cafeteria.
Arrival Supervision begins at the Tharpe Street entrance at 7:05.  Please
do not drop off students before that time. At 7:15  Students may go to the
cafeteria for breakfast, playground, technology lab or the media
center.

                Car dropped off or picked up is done at the Tharpe Street
entrance.
                 Walkers should enter and exit on Tenth Street entrance
using the crosswalk.
 If you would like to walk your child to class, please park in the Tenth
Avenue lot and walk your child across                    the parking lot.
For safety there is NO drop off in the parking lot.
                Bus If your child rides the bus, please make sure you speak
to your child about following all rules on the bus.
                                                  Thank you for your
help and support.  You make a difference

Looking forward to seeing you on RES campus this week.

Your Partner in Education,
Carolyn Spooner, Principal