ROBERTS-PARENTS Archives

Roberts Parents

ROBERTS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Teresa Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:26:00 -0400
A MESSAGE FROM MRS. MCFARLAND
We are now settled into a new year and all things seem to be running
smoothly.  Thank you so much for being patient with the drop off and pick
up procedures.  I would like to remind all parents who pick up their
children after school to please have the “car pick up tag” hanging until
their child is placed in the car.  It helps all of the adults on duty
identify who you are trying to pick up.  We have also asked all older
students to sit with their younger siblings so that we can have families
grouped together to put in their cars.  We hope this helps with the flow of
traffic.  Also, please remind your children to keep any toys or objects
they may have brought from home in their backpacks.  We don’t want them
playing with items at car pick up.  It is distracting and could cause
confusion with the large numbers of students we have located in that space.
As for the morning drop off procedures, patrols are now in place to assist
children getting out of cars.  Please make sure you have your car set up to
where your child can exit on the right side of the car.  This is very
important for the safety of our patrols and the boys and girls being
dropped off.  Another note of caution, if you arrive after the gates are
closed when adults are no longer outside assisting students:  Please do not
drop off your child(ren) expecting him/her to find their way into school to
sign in on their own.  If you arrive after the courtyard gates are closed,
you must park and walk your child into the front office to sign him/her
in.  Thank you so much for your cooperation and support.  As a team we can
ensure the safety of all of our students!

PROGRESS ALERTS
Progress alerts will be sent home on Wednesday, September 17, for children
who are struggling in one or more areas.  We appreciate parents taking time
to conference with teachers as they share their plans for helping each
child reach his/her fullest potential.  Your support at home is so
appreciated!

NEWS FROM THE MUSIC DEPARTMENT
The Music Department is off to a great start this year.  The children are
settling in and beautiful singing can be heard throughout the hallways.

GOOD NEWS CLUB COMING TO ROBERTS
A Good News Club is coming to Roberts Elementary!  Good News Clubs are
sponsored by Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF) of the Big Bend.  CEF is
dedicated to children between the ages of 5 and 12, and provides Bible-
based programs that demonstrate Christian values and beliefs.  All children
are welcome to participate in CEF activities.  The Roberts Good News Club
will meet on Wednesdays from 2:15-3:30 PM.  More information will be coming
soon.

VOLUNTEER OF THE MONTH
Congratulations to JULIE ZETTLE, who is our Volunteer of the Month for
September.  Mrs. Zettle will receive a gift certificate from Longhorn
Steakhouse.  All volunteers should record their hours on the computer
located on the table under the bulletin board in the office.  When signing
in, be sure to put your name in the clear box located on the wall to the
left of the bulletin board each time you volunteer.  Names are drawn once a
month to determine who will be the Volunteer of the Month.

THANK YOU FROM THE FACULTY
The faculty would like to say a very special “thank you” to all of the
volunteers who brought in items for the Welcome Back Breakfast on August 11
for the faculty and staff, the Boo Hoo Breakfast for kindergarten parents
on August 18, and refreshments for the faculty meeting on August 28.

THANK YOU, COPY CREW!
The office staff would like to thank CARRIE MILHOUS and SANDY WATSON who
have volunteered to be our “copy crew” for the newsletter.    We would also
like to thank PATRICE HOLMES and BETH FOGLER for helping in the front
office this week.  Your help is greatly appreciated!

SCHOOL ADVISORY COUNCIL
Our next School Advisory Council meeting will be held on Thursday,
September 18, at 5:30 PM in the Media Center.  Thank you to all our parents
who showed an interest in serving on our School Advisory Council this
year.  The election for our parent SAC members was held at our last PTO
meeting.  The following parents will be serving as elected members or as
appointed community representatives:  FRAN CLOSE, MICHAEL EDGAR, LIBBY
FARMER, JIM HINTERLONG, LISA PHILLIPS, STANLEY SIMS, LYNDA THABES, BETHANY
ALTENBURG and GINA WILSON.

GIFTED OPEN HOUSE
There will be an Open House for parents of students currently in the Gifted
Program on Friday, September 19, from 2:00 – 3:00 PM in Mrs. German’s
classroom.  Open House for parents of students in kindergarten through
third grade will be held from 2:00 – 2:30 PM, and Open House for parents of
students in grades four and five will be held from 2:30 – 3:00 PM.

ROBERTS SPIRIT DAY AT RIBBITS
Ribbits Enchanted Cottage, which is located at 215 Lake Ella Drive, will be
hosting “Roberts Spirit Day” on Friday, September 19, from 2:30-8:00 PM.

DATES TO REMEMBER

September 17  Progress Alerts Go Home
   Fundraiser Due
September 18  SAC Meeting – Media Center – 5:30 PM
September 19  Gifted Open House – Cottage 524 – 2:00 – 3:00 PM
      Kindergarten – 3rd Grade – 2:00 – 2:30 PM
      4th – 5th Grade – 2:30 – 3:00 PM
                        Roberts Spirit Day–Ribbits Enchanted Cottage–
                           2:30– 8:00 PM
September 24  Writes Upon Request (Grades 2-5)

FUNDRAISER EXTENSION
The deadline for the fundraiser has been extended to Wednesday, September
17.  Checks should be made payable to Roberts Elementary PTO.  The delivery
date will be mid-October.

NUTRITION TIPS
The Nutrition Tip for the week of September 8-12 is “Start the day with a
healthy breakfast”.  The key to a healthy breakfast is including plenty of
nutrients that your body can use to jumpstart the day.  A breakfast with
protein, carbohydrate and rich in fiber can keep you energetic until lunch.
The Nutrition Tip for the week of September 15-19 is “Professional
performance”.  You may not be a professional athlete (yet), but you can eat
like an “all star”.  To help you get the most out of your body, eat a wide
variety of foods including lean meats and low-fat dairy products and
exercise every day.

PHYSICAL ACTIVITY TIPS
The Nutrition Tip for the week of September 8-12 is “Don’t overdo it.”  Do
low to moderate level activities, especially at first.  You can slowly
increase the duration and intensity of your activities as you become more
fit.
The Nutrition Tip for the week of September 15-19 is “Strength training”.
Unlike aerobic exercise that burns calories primarily during the exercise
session itself, strength training boosts your metabolism throughout the
entire day and night.  Muscle tissue actively burns calories.  The greater
your muscle mass, the more calories you burn.

A SALUTE FROM ROBERTS

GOOD CITIZENS
Our Citizenship Skill for the week of September 2-5 was “self-respect”.
CONGRATULATIONS to those students whose names were drawn on September 5.